The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The July 2004 entrée: Paul Cummins » » Why Not All Cards? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mrmagik68
View Profile
Special user
NYC
570 Posts

Profile of mrmagik68
Welcome to the Café Paul!
I must first say that it was an absolute pleasure seeing you perform & lecture and finally meeting you at TSD5 in Jacksonville.

You have mentioned once or twice in one of the postings on the Café that you do not recommend and "all card act". May I ask why is this? And for those who decide that they indeed want to do nothing but cards, what would your advice be? Thanks Paul!

Roberto
Original Card Clinician
pcummins
View Profile
V.I.P.
169 Posts

Profile of pcummins
Hi Roberto,

TSD V rocked, didn't it?

I watch local non-pro's superbly entertain lay people here with ring on string, rope cutting, rubber band, and sponge ball magic - along with card routines - and it makes me wish I'd pursued some of those non-card avenues at times. Locally, the magicians here in Jacksonville meet once a month at a restaurant and trade tricks and chew the fat and perform for the restaurant's customers and staff. One night the proprieter of the local magic shop made a goldfish appear in a woman's drink. Well, I might of done a set of killer card magic that night but I can tell you that she is gonna remember that goldfish until the day she keels over. Card magic is what I'm REALLY into, so that's what I perform 95% of the time. But I would recommend to others, especially those just getting into close-up magic, that they learn all types of routines.

If you want to do nothing but card magic, then do that! The idea, I think, is to have fun. Every trick or routine should be a fooler; but also just have fun. If the audience has fun, you'll have fun and if you have fun, the audience will too. I enjoy EVERY performance of every card trick I do. Be good, practise alot, perform a lot - but have fun.

Paul
Cameron Roat
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
728 Posts

Profile of Cameron Roat
Hi Paul,

Nice to see you here! My feelings are similar to yours. I have a passion for the pasteboards. I know that other magic can be much stronger, and I have experienced it first-hand performing magic with other objects. However, I always seem to come back to cards. Perhaps I'm taking the easy route, and am too lazy to work on other material? Ha.

Cameron
Kihei
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of Kihei
Paul,
For someone with such a passion for cards you seem to have created some amazing coin routines. Which did you start with?
-Mitch
pcummins
View Profile
V.I.P.
169 Posts

Profile of pcummins
Hi Mitch,

Started with cards. I cannot even remember what started me with coins...

Paul
jcards01
View Profile
Inner circle
Waterloo, IL
1438 Posts

Profile of jcards01
Oh Oh, I better get out the bunnies and dust off the chop cup. *** 'cards'!
Jimmy 'Cards' Molinari
www.jimmycards.com
pcummins
View Profile
V.I.P.
169 Posts

Profile of pcummins
Jimmy,

Don't change a thing, man, you're priceless. If any of you out there get a chance to meet and see Jimmy Cards, do it. He's of the nicest men I've met in magic and will make your head spin with his staccato, rapid-fire stacking!

Paul
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The July 2004 entrée: Paul Cummins » » Why Not All Cards? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL