We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The July 2004 entrée: Paul Cummins » » Corporate Magic » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2323 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
What is the best way to get into it? I see that a lot of magicians get their best paychecks this way.
pcummins
View Profile
V.I.P.
169 Posts

Profile of pcummins
This is not going to be a helpful answer, so I'll apologize in advance.

The corporate magic I do has always fallen into my lap - they came to me... So I'm just not in a position to give advice on how to "get into" the corporate magic scene.

Paul
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2323 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Fair enough. Smile I guess you could say word of mouth, hard work over the last 35 years, and praise by many would create the perfect oppourtunities for people to approach you.

If you ever get too many, you know you can always send some my way. Smile I'm kidding of course. Its not until a few years from now that I'd be ready for corporate gigs.

Any special memories from your corporate performances? Good experiences, bad experiences, or just plain weird experiences?
pcummins
View Profile
V.I.P.
169 Posts

Profile of pcummins
Hey Brian,

Well there was this one time I believe I became rather red in the face...

I keep a hundred dollar bill sticking out of the handkerchief pocket of my suit while doing trade shows. When people ask about what it's for I say, "Oh, you want a shot at the hundred?" And there's a few of what are unfortunately termed "sucker" effects or gags that I do in which they think they might have a chance to win the hundred, but of course they never do.

One of those gags is to take out a "special card" and prop it on the table with the card box with its back to the audience. I then spread out the deck in use face up on the table and make this offer: "You push any card out of the spread, and if I don't have that card here (pointing to the face of the propped up "special card") then the hundred is yours." After some byplay I show that I have a 1 in 52 card as my special card. Thus, I do have the card they pushed out and the hundred stays in my pocket. Okay, big laugh and then I appear to give them a legit shot at the hundred by doing another routine.

Here's what made my face red. It was the last day of the trade show, we were all a bit tired and getting goofy. The CEO of the parent company that owned the company for which I was working - that's my company's CEO's CEO, a REALLY big cheese as it were - says, "What's with the hundred?" So I take out the special card and prop it on the box. I spread out the deck and give the CEO the spiel. All the company employees at the booth have gathered around now to see what I'm gonna do for the big cheese. Most of them can't believe I'm going to do this gag because they're thinking I should kill him with a massive trick, not bust a joke on him. But I've met the guy before and he's real nice with a good sense of humor and, after all, he's just another guy when it comes down to it, so I figure he'll dig the joke.

He pushes out the Joker, which I didn't realize was in the deck in use. Well, the 1 in 52 card does not contain a joker. My face went white and then red, all the "boys" looked up at me in shock and then they began that embarrassing tittering laugh at my foible. I offered the CEO the $100 because I *didn't* have the card he had pushed out! He too, saw my embarrassment and he refused the C-note despite my attempts to tell him that a proposition is a proposition and he won it fair and square, but he just wouldn't take it.

Now every year when he stops by he says, "So, what's with the hundred?"

And you can bet your ass there's never a Joker in my deck on that trade show room floor!

Paul
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2122 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Yeh, nice not many guys will refuse money! why are jokers in a deck anyway I cant remeber!
Matt
fanwun
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of fanwun
Brian,

You might want to check out HUSTLE, HUSTLE by Joel Bauer. He recently released a DVD, but I have the book and love it. This is a manuscript definitely worth having, and he deals with securing trade show gigs.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The July 2004 entrée: Paul Cummins » » Corporate Magic » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.31 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL