We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The July 2004 entrée: Paul Cummins » » Performance Anxiety » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mrmagik68
View Profile
Special user
NYC
558 Posts

Profile of mrmagik68
Paul,
Thanks for your insightful response to my previous posting "Why Not All Cards?". I have one other question for you. Stage fright or Performance Anxiety, did you ever go through this when starting out performing for others or did performing come natural to you?

I notice at times, especially when I have a small crowd of people watching me perform, I get a serious case of the shakes which ultimately causes me to fumble a move or forget my lines. Can you offer some advice on how to overcome this fear of performing? Thanks again!

Roberto
Original Card Clinician
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
The key is to not only practice your sleights and routines but to rehearse them. Know them so well that you don't have to think about it.
Rehearse Rehearse Rehearse.
Daniel Faith
pcummins
View Profile
V.I.P.
169 Posts

Profile of pcummins
Hi Roberto,

I've had the shakes and the nervous heebie jeebies PLENTY of times. Those feelings are DIRECTLY related to the confidence you have in yourself and the magic you will perform.

I'm still a little jumpy and nervous before every single lecture or paid performance. If I wasn't, it would scare me! But as soon as the event starts and you get into your rhythm, the nervousness will go away.

At a high level, I agree with Randall. Rehearsal, or practise, is paramount - BOTH privately and in performance (I consider performances a natural form of practise). As I've said in other posts this week too, keep adjusting what you do until the fit is good and the reactions are strong. With those adjustments comes confidence and the minimization of nervousness.

I hope that helps!

Paul
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The July 2004 entrée: Paul Cummins » » Performance Anxiety » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL