The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Power Distribution Center/Panel Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

afun14u
View Profile
Loyal user
Tennessee
250 Posts

Profile of afun14u
Let’s try this one again in a different way. I am looking for a Power Distribution Center/Panel to be used with my show for powering my Light’s, Sound, Concessions and whatever else I may need. Does anyone out there have any experience with these? And if you do can you please give me some advice? Thanks for ANY information you can share.

Robert Jones
Empowering Kingdom Growth through Evangelistic Entertainment!
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
793 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
While I am not an electrician, the company by whom I am employed uses these for live events every day. We design & build our own, and they are "up to code" (regulated electrical code) and government approved.

I don't personally design or build the things, but I know a little about them. What would you like to know, Robert? I do know that, no matter where you are, they need to be up to code and approved. UL (Underwriters Laboratories) are the folks who issue the approval, and there are national & state electrical codes/standards.

Simply getting power into the "distro" is done with any of a number of large connectors (stove plug, dryer plug, Joy, CAM, etc...). each has its own legal limitations, and you can't be sure which one you'll be presented at any given venue, so you'll probably need to have one set of each, and maybe even some others. You may even be presented with a panel into which a "tie in" must be done. In a "tie in", your bare wires are bolted into an in-house electrical box. Just owning these bits—stove plug, dryer plug, Joy plug, CAMs, bare wire, etc—in a pretty substantial investment, but making the rest of it is tremendously expensive!

Post what you'd like to know, Robert, and I'll be happy to share what little I know. I'm sure others will also be able to pipe in when you ask some specific questions.
Cheers from Toronto!
Dan McLean Jr
www.MagicRoadie.com
"Taking the mystery out of stage technology!"
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
One major point--you do NOT want sound and lighting running on the same distro (nor anything with motors). Never, ever, unless it absolutely positively unavoidable. This is one of the biggest contributors to hum in sound systems.

--A
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1829 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Robert....sorry if my other info was exactly what you need. Check your PM.
Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Power Distribution Center/Panel Question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL