The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Books that made you cry? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
JJDrew
View Profile
Loyal user
Arizona
221 Posts

Profile of JJDrew
I don't cry easily. Only one book has ever managed to bring tears to my eyes, "Where the Red Fern Grows." There's this scene at the end where the dogs fight a mountain lion and, though they win, they get really torn up, especially the male. Their owner calls them and starts home. The female dog catches up to him, but he hears a whimper behind him from the male. The dog's belly is cut open so badly its intestines get tangled on a bush and it can't move, but it's still trying to follow the boy. I bawled when I read that.

Anybody else? What books managed to make you cry?
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Where The Red Fern Grows is a required reading book in our school system..so I have read this book a lot. Even tho I know the ending still kills me every time.

The other is Old Yeller both the book and the movie is so sad. :O(
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
Quote:
The dog's belly is cut open so badly its intestines get tangled on a bush and it can't move, but it's still trying to follow the boy

Reminds me of The Running Man - S.King. The bit in the plane near the end Smile
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
Kevin Ram
View Profile
Special user
Travelling through Europe
791 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ram
Andrew wimhurst 'down under deals'

You work your way through ortiz's 'at the card table'
You start thinking your "the man" and you come across a book which makes you feel like a rookie.

I hate him!!!! Smile

kukram
"Your the Italian stallion" As said by my g/friend
R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
Jonathan Livingston Seagull
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
"My Hitch In Hell" was written by my friend, Lester Tenney. It is about his experiences on The Battan Death March. Smileevilish
czero
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC
282 Posts

Profile of czero
Body Magic, by John Fisher

I paid 79 bucks (plus shipping) for that overhyped collection of schoolboy stunts. :'<

--Mike
czero
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC
282 Posts

Profile of czero
But to actually be serious...

When I was little, I read a book called "My Wolf, My Friend" (Barbara Corcoran) that just tore me up in an Old Yellerish kind of way. I bawled like the little kid I was. I'm actually getting a lump in my throat recalling it right now...

--Mike
hoodrat
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
388 Posts

Profile of hoodrat
A book called "Bridge to Terabithia" which was written for older children (ages 9 to 13 or so). This book also won one of the literary awards (i.e. Caldecott, Newberry, etc.), but I cannot remember which award. It's a very well-written and moving story chronicling the friendship between a boy and a girl. This friendship unfortunately ends tragically. I first read the book when I was around 11 years old, and I can still recall bits of the dialogue and scenes. It was THAT good!!

If you enjoy well-written fiction, read this book no matter what age you are!!!

Another book written for adults that has some very sad parts is "The Front Runner."
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
My eighth grade algebra book, HATED IT.
Actually it is only movies that gets tears going but not actual crying. Any movie that has the death of an animal, even animations if well done can get a tear or two from me. Charollet's Web and Bambi come to mind as animations that have this effect on me. Movies like Old Yeller as mentioned above and Turner and Hooch.
I just have a soft spot for animals.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Quote:
On 2004-07-13 03:58, hoodrat wrote:
A book called "Bridge to Terabithia" which was written for older children (ages 9 to 13 or so). This book also won one of the literary awards (i.e. Caldecott, Newberry, etc.), but I cannot remember which award. It's a very well-written and moving story chronicling the friendship between a boy and a girl. This friendship unfortunately ends tragically. I first read the book when I was around 11 years old, and I can still recall bits of the dialogue and scenes. It was THAT good!!

The Bridge to Terebithia made me weep. Also, The Dragonlance Chronicles.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Avrakdavra
View Profile
Loyal user
The Pine Tree State, USA
224 Posts

Profile of Avrakdavra
Pat Conroy's The Prince of Tides (as opposed to the movie version, which was a travesty).

Also, the last chapter of Lloyd Alexander's The High King (the final book in the Prydain series) has always choked me up ever since I first read the books as a boy, more than twenty-five years ago.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
The end of Harry Potter book 4.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
"Finality"...it was so horribly written!!!!

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Dayanara
View Profile
New user
Michigan
64 Posts

Profile of Dayanara
I forgot that "Bridge" made me cry. And FireDice, I am glad to know that I'm not the only one who cried at the end of book 4!
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
Quote:
On 2004-07-12 15:45, JJDrew wrote:
I don't cry easily. Only one book has ever managed to bring tears to my eyes, "Where the Red Fern Grows." There's this scene at the end where the dogs fight a mountain lion and, though they win, they get really torn up, especially the male. Their owner calls them and starts home. The female dog catches up to him, but he hears a whimper behind him from the male. The dog's belly is cut open so badly its intestines get tangled on a bush and it can't move, but it's still trying to follow the boy. I bawled when I read that.

Anybody else? What books managed to make you cry?

That is probably the saddest I've ever felt from reading a book also. I don't think that I've ever cried from reading a book, but reading the end of "where the red fern grows" was probably the closest I ever got.
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
Quote:
On 2004-07-13 13:06, Firedice27 wrote:
The end of Harry Potter book 4.

Are you serious?
Darko
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Darko
Germinal, by Emile Zola.
GypsyPirate
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of GypsyPirate
I cried at the end of the Lord of the Rings, the Two Towers, when I thought Frodo had died.
Magic Mark

"How'd you do that?" ... "Very carefully."
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
Quote:
Reminds me of The Running Man - S.King. The bit in the plane near the end Smile

I read this book one day before 9/11. It scared me...

Lee
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Books that made you cry? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL