The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » I can't 'Believe' how well this worked! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
JohnDoh
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of JohnDoh
Seeing as how the original poster didn't defend the legitimacy of the story, methinks the Fool has fooled us. Still a great read, though - thanks.
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2140 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
I'll admit......I can't back this up with any hard evidence, unless I put the sound files from the cassete online, or post a pic of me in the 'bumasquerade' as I call it, but either of those could be faked. I know there are some of you here in Fla., and if you got out to O-town, I'd be happy to introduce you to Cotton or uncle, but I could've simply bought their loyalty with a donation, so that would't cinch it either. And I'm definetly unwilling to give a transcript of the police file, or the names of the shelter workers in fear of any legal problems that might cause. Well, like the title of the thread says, I can't believe most of this myself! And I'll admit, it is a weird story, but I wouldn't by any means call it fantastic. I'm actually a little flattered that it's 'cool' enough that people doubt it's legitimacy. Thank you all again for reading, and listen.....TRY THIS!!! You won't beleive the reaction & surprise it causes when people see an (apprently) homeless guy do magic! Just be carefull...lest you get sucked into their world like I did! One thing I learned is that the homeless have more than their share of enemies, including those who pose as their 'freinds'. Also, like JoeJoe and the detective said, don't make any mention of 'help' or 'hungry' if you use a sign. Looking back, I see that was a dirty angle. Of course, you don't have to specificaly do the 'bum' routine, just try something wierd, different or unexpected. Most of us sail through life with a set course and rarely alter it. I don'r beleive in taking foolish chances, but nothing worthwhile can be experienced without taking any chance at all! Who would want to live in a world without daring? (that's a quote from Charrels Lindburgh) Try it.....one day, just take your ship out into unfamiliar waters, unfurl your sails, and see where the winds of adventure take you!
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
Angela
View Profile
Regular user
Ohio
190 Posts

Profile of Angela
Thanks so much for this! That Disney situation was just the sweetest thing, and I think we're all ecstatic about Nancy's outcome. Smile Take this story and run... straight for the publisher's!

Angela
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Hiya, Mighty:

I admire the concept ("Will do the Pass for food") and might -- MIGHT -- try something similar. But you gotta admit there are certain elements here which sound a bit urban legend-ish.

Comping a tourist family into the Magic Kingdom is what really stood out as fantastic to me. The shelter director's description seemed a bit...well, a bit like Dickens.

Strange things happen all the time; I once reached into my nail bag and grabbed EXACTLY the number of nails I needed to for 12 feet of wall framing. Twice. Top and bottom plates to all studs. I used to live in an apartment whose toilet had been stamped by the manufacturer with its production date: My birthday and year (hey, don't make wise on that one!)

Jury's still out on this one -- and like you said, hard evidence is tough to provide. Whatever the case, thanks for sharing!

Leland
ace216
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of ace216
Thanks for that. it was very interesting
enigmatic aura
View Profile
New user
glitter of neutrons, protons, electrons
50 Posts

Profile of enigmatic aura
I love it!

The authenticity of the story isn't even an issue. What makes a difference if it all happened or not? If it weren't real, so what, it's still a good story. A few stories even considered "non-fiction" are highly fictional (e.g. propaganda/ sensationalized news) . But does MightFool's story affect us in any logical manner? Does it brainwash us to think in a certain manner? No. It's pure entertainment, a well told story. If true, awesome. If not, awesome. Because it was a *** good story.

Thanks for sharing! It sure made me smile.

Lance
Beauty of poetic magic...

Poetry isn't written to be analyzed. It is meant to inspire without reason; to touch without understanding.
- Nicholas Sparks
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Who really cares if the story is true, it's one of the best reads on the Café. I was inspired enough to want to try it out myself.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
paulmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Malaysia, now In New Zealand
290 Posts

Profile of paulmagic
I for one enjoyed the story and I would love to have the skill and guts to do half of what The Magic Fool did (or if some prefer, allegedly did).

I just got back from Cambodia and had fun with a little simple street magic with poor street kids. Simple coin vanishing and appearing, torn and restored paper, TT stuff and balloons etc. So basic that most of you would be unimpressed BUT the effect was tremendous! The Magic Fool's account was pretty inspirational and gave me a push to "just go out and try". So, whether the account is real or not is not a big issue for me for it helped me. I don't think I have had that much fun in years! So a big thank you "The Mighty Fool" Smile

(BTW, I posted a short description of my experience somewhere else on the magic Café a few minutes ago).
Many Blessings!!

Paul
danelwood
View Profile
New user
New Hampshire
85 Posts

Profile of danelwood
The truth is often much stranger than fiction.

Thanks for the ride Mighty Fool.

Fact or fiction, you kept it real.

Kudos
"Now watch closely!"
SOHartist
View Profile
Loyal user
Ft. Myers, Florida
211 Posts

Profile of SOHartist
Wow, I can't believe I never ran across this thread before! This is probably one of the best I've read here at the Café. Great story! Fool, I gotta say, you got some guts. Smile

Michael
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2140 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Thanks for reading guys! And Paulmagic, I'm glad things are working out for you!
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
Franmonet
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Franmonet
Great thread gives hope to us wannabe street preformers
Heck is for people who don't believe in gosh
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
This was truly a great read...I myself had some experiences along the same lines, however that was over 10 years ago and I have forgotten some of the things that happened.

I was once homeless and hungry, went to a soup kitchen and performed magic. I was accosted by one of the people who ran the joint (it was a woman) who said magic was of the devil blah blah blah and I should get right with the lord.

And a crazy bag lady almost kicked my butt for showing her magic. This all happened in Tacoma (aroma) Washington. I never gave up though and had many adventures while living and performing on the streets of Tacoma. I was jumped by the 'Bloods' (a scary gang), stabbed , robbed, hit on by trannies...oh the memories.

johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
Hamilton
View Profile
New user
Maine
90 Posts

Profile of Hamilton
This is a great story. I am going to be thinking about this for a while.
anime_file
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of anime_file
Wow. Amazing story. I believe you cuz it sounded real and even if it's not, WHY would you people WANT to doubt it?
ClouDsss
View Profile
Inner circle
1799 Posts

Profile of ClouDsss
Hmmm, interesting concept. But I think I will stick to performing in restaurant or pubs.

cheerios
Think outside the box, cos people are all thinking inside now!! - ClouDsss
mentalvic
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of mentalvic
Quote:
I'll admit I DID feel a bit guilty about giving people the idea that I was homeless (although at no time did I claim to be so)but this guilt became crystalized when a woman with 2 children returned about an hour & a half after I did the D'lites for them. She pulled up on the curb, came over and gave me a plastic covered tray of little sandwiches (apparently left over from whatever meeting she'd just come from). Somehow, this really made me feel like a crumb. I changed clothes, and walked around the rest of the night, giving fives to beggars, buying people hot dogs, or balloons, and I made a 50$ donation at the shelter. I've been mulling over the right / wrong of all this, debating whether or not to try it again next weekend, but just so you know, the 'poor wandering hobo magician' angle really works!

This raises the question of what is and what is not ethical in the magical arena.

One might argue that your deception of people on that level (dressing like a transient, playing on people's good natures, etc.) was wrong on some level. But in the end you did put the money to good use so if we ignore that whole "the ends don't justify the means" line of reasoning it worked out.

An interesting experiment to try at this point would be to see whether or not a sign that said, "Magic Tricks Worked In Exchange for Donations to Help the Homeless" (with you dressed not so shabby this time around) would earn more or less money in the same amount of time. This experiment would answer the question, "Does the appearance of homelessness engender greater loathing or greater generosity?"

Anyway, not something I would do (unless I was homeless) but certainly interesting and thought-provoking.
There she was, a dodgy old prune in a tiara, rushing at me waving a sword. Do all knights suffer this whilst being made?
ashah
View Profile
Elite user
474 Posts

Profile of ashah
Read this thread for the first time just now. What a story!
sugam
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
175 Posts

Profile of sugam
Best... thread... ever...

Not sure if I would have the guts to pull any of that off.

Anyhow, truth or fiction (as some say), it does give people much to think about.
Ollie1235
View Profile
Special user
England
533 Posts

Profile of Ollie1235
Wether it be truth or fiction its an amazing story non the less.

ollie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » I can't 'Believe' how well this worked! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL