The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Kevlar IT (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jsmagus
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of jsmagus
Hey, Guys. I don't know exactly where to post this, but I need some help. I have an intense fear of working with IT, but a new effect that I purchesed calls for it, and I just HAVE to do this effect.

In an attempt to set myself at ease with IT, I decided to purchase Kevlar IT, in the hopes that I wouldn't be as afraid of it breaking thus slightly calming my nerves. Unfortunately, I cannot even make the hookup without the strand breaking!

My questions, then, are:
1.) Does this stuff vary in quality from company to company, and I just got the wrong IT? or
2.) Is all Kevlar like this? Should I attemt to use more than one strand? or should I just pitch it in a drawer and stick with wooly nylon?

Any help you can give will be appreciated. Thanks.

Jesse
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Kevlar isn't a generic term, but a product name, so technically if it's "Kevlar" it's from the same manufacturer.

Kevlar is a strange compound. It has an awesome linear pull(tensile)strength, but is very fragile when bent or tied. I'm familiar with Kevlar in kite flying, and we have to be very careful to "sleeve" the line before tying knots to prevent kinking and instant breaking. I've also used it in fiber optic cables where it's added as a filler to give additional pull strength, but again it cannot be knotted without breaking.

I haven't tried Kevlar IT, but keeping this in mind, try your best not to kink or bend it. If you're using some sort of wax ball, roll it gently to keep it from breaking. Tape tabs might be easier but again, be very careful to handle it in gradual bends, not sharp turns. Of course, any attempt to actually "tie" the stuff will result in instant frustration.

Hope this helps,
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
the74rock
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of the74rock
I have the kevlar IT and its great. it work real well and better than any other ITR. its very strong hard to break or bend.
jsmagus
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of jsmagus
Thanks for the great info Dave! I WAS trying to tie it to make the hookup. Maybe I can do it another way. Thanks Again!
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Just a side note about Kevlar IT. The bending problem keeps it from working for spinning card effect (Hummer Card). The Kevlar twists on itself and breaks very easily.
Vincz
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Vincz
Check out http://www.kevlar.com
Kevlar is a fibre invented by DuPont
Thanks to 2 scientist we have something stronger than steel!
bjiamin
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of bjiamin
Check out http://www.uniproducts.com/ as well
they have some real good stuff there, 20 deniers??
bobby
View Profile
New user
Camarillo, CA
72 Posts

Profile of bobby
I always thought Kevlar was like a material name...

Like "Cotton" or "Silk"...
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
Well, now I know why my thread breaks at the wax ball! Thanks. I love my reel. My floating dollar is a lot better now, I can make the thing fly through my linking rings (not while they are linking though)
Dark
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Dark
What effect is it? Perhaps you might want to use regular IT and try to come up with "outs" when/if the thread breaks.

It takes lots of practice to be comfortable and natural with thread.
Marcello
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Marcello
I've seen videos where IT is transparent, others where they use black, others tell me there is white. What do you suggest as best IT? To me (but I could be wrong) elastic and transparent in theory should be the best one. Where can I get it?
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Be aware of the lighting when using Kevlar, it tends to shine more than other ITs.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
Kevlar is a brand name for a type of material, technically a long fiber aramid. Nylon used to be a brand name for what is generically now known as Nylon. The same thing happened to Aspirin which used to be a brand name.

Kevlar is one of the strongest materials while in tension. It is also extremely low stretch. On the downside it doesn't knot well (can't take bends without breaking) and is highly abrasive, i.e., it tends to cut through itself.

It is very tough stuff when used as IT. It probably pays to just a bunch of wooly nylon and strip out a few multiple strand pieces and practice with it until you get a feel for the breaking strength. Then go to a single strand. When you then try the Kevlar it then be really easy to work with. I suggest getting the wooly nylon since it is so cheap you don't have to worry about breaking it. I think this is the best way to get used to working with IT. I'm doing this with elastic IT. After quickly going though a package of loops I decided that I couldn't afford to do this any longer, but love the things you can do with IT.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3642 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Kevlar is stronger than steel POUND FOR POUND. In other words, it takes a whole lot of IT to equal a pound of steel.

Jesse, get some regular IT to compare with your Kevlar. I bought a Kevlar reel a few years ago, and now based on my experience with Kevlar, I'm pretty sure the reel was just regular IT. The Kevlar does appear to be much stronger than the regular stuff, but it doesn't work on the Hummer Card - and now I know why.

Jim
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3248 Posts

Profile of gaddy
"IT" takes a lot of handling just to get used to the feel and strength of the material. When I first started using the stuff I fould it helpful to use regular silk thread just to get an idea of what my hands needed to be doing at any given moment. This won't help you get the feel of the IT, but it will get you used to the motions you need to make during the effect. Hope this helps!
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2007-01-11 16:52, gaddy wrote:
"IT" takes a lot of handling just to get used to the feel and strength of the material. When I first started using the stuff I fould it helpful to use regular silk thread just to get an idea of what my hands needed to be doing at any given moment. This won't help you get the feel of the IT, but it will get you used to the motions you need to make during the effect. Hope this helps!

The same is true of the elastic IT loops, it's helpful to practice with ordinary rubber bands to get the motions down, and a lot less expensive
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
MagiCanada
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver
140 Posts

Profile of MagiCanada
Quote:
On 2007-01-07 21:03, DStachowiak wrote:
Be aware of the lighting when using Kevlar, it tends to shine more than other ITs.

This is something to take seriously and I'm glad it was mentioned. One small "shine" can give it all away. Indirect lighting and a "loud" background has worked very well for me.

Neil
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Kevlar IT (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL