We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Slydini? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Donnie
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Donnie
What was Slydini like? I have read countless books and biographies and I see him as a more spontaneous and free performer. If anyone has seen him or seen footage of him or has any interesting stories I'd love to hear them.
christopher carter
View Profile
Special user
660 Posts

Profile of christopher carter
Slydini was spectacular!!! I don't know that I would agree that he was a more spontaneous and free performer, but it appeared that way. Underneath it all was a masterful control of the spectators and the performance environment. One of the most exciting things about Slydini was the way in which he challenged the audience. It's commonly stated these days that people don't like to be fooled, and I suppose that is true in many cases, yet Slydini's work was a direct, in your face challenge to figure him out. His audiences loved it.

--Christopher Carter
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
His teaching technique was interesting too. he taught you "the moves" and the way it was to be done. There was a wrong way to do it and the Slydini way to do it. However, when you went to show him how you learned it, he did not want to see you do it as his clone, so you learned to make it your own version after you had learned the correct way of doing it. That was how you mastered something by learning from him. An amazing experience I am glad that I had.

I remember him working in a small bar show at one of the Desert Magic Seminars (at the old Alladin Hotel) where he performed with a "heckling" lay person and did the "Flight of the Paper Balls" where he blew this guy out of the water. It is always a great moment when you can see a real master work for lay people and it is one of the moments I will always remember. That and when he did the "sugar packet" effect. ("taste, taste. Eees sugar, no?") He did absolute miracles....

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
http://www.stores.ebay.ca/abstagecraft
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
Quote:
One of the most exciting things about Slydini was the way in which he challenged the audience.

Quite true. It was challenge without the sting, but with a great deal of charisma.
mysticz
View Profile
Special user
D.C. metro area
680 Posts

Profile of mysticz
Slydini's very personal technique involved very direct, natural actions incorporating strong physical and psychological misdirection. Seeing him work live back in the late 1970s was very inspiring to me -- he was a master who proved that clear thinking and flawless technique could truly result in real magic.

I was very fortunate to have had the opportunity to spend some time with Slydini to discuss his lapping technique, his Imp Pass, and his fabulous One Coin routine. I remember asking him if he ever worried that a spectator sitting on his extreme left side at the table might possibly see him lap a coin. Slydini looked me directly in the eyes, shook his head like I was crazy, tapped the table in front of him with his forefinger and said, "They no looka there, they ALWAYS looka here."

And he was right.

Joe Z.
Joe Zabel
"Psychic Sorcery"

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

-- Shakespeare's Hamlet I.v. 174-175
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Slydini was, as has been mentioned, truly fabulous.
But he was certainly not what could be described as a spontaneous and free performer.
Everything he did was carefully thought out beforehand, from the tricks, to the angles, to the lighting.
Being somewhat deaf, he was able -- when asked to "show us some magic" -- to simply pretend that he didn't hear, if the angles were not to his liking (that was his biggest complaint/problem).
His use of a TT is inspired, as was most other things that he did (it's just that I use a TT a lot and have always used his method, since learning it.)
I had the chance to meet him when he was still performing, at the time at Mostly Magic in New York; and then my wife and I spent part of the next day at his apartment.
Since his real name was Quintino Marucci, we did some research and he found out that his father and my granfather were brothers!
(Small world -- but I wouldn't like to have to clean it!)
Smile
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Magnus Maccormack
View Profile
New user
Calgary, Canada
67 Posts

Profile of Magnus Maccormack
I am fortunate enough to have a videotape copy of an interview on the Dick Cavett show from the 70's. Slydini's performance to me did seem free and spontaneous. Upon reading some of the responses to this thread is seems that Slydini achieved what we all apsire to; carefully thought out and rehearsed routines that, when performed, appead to the lay pupblic as spontaneous. This is even more a tribute to a great magician. Smile
Garrett Nelson
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of Garrett Nelson
Quote:
One of the most exciting things about Slydini was the way in which he challenged the audience. It's commonly stated these days that people don't like to be fooled, and I suppose that is true in many cases, yet Slydini's work was a direct, in your face challenge to figure him out. His audiences loved it.

--Christopher Carter

I could be wrong, but from what I understand his audiences were mainly magicians when he used his challange approach...
(according to Ortiz in Strong Magic).

Can anyone set me straight?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Slydini? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL