We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The July 2004 entrée: Paul Cummins » » FASDIU - Again! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

thecardman
View Profile
Loyal user
Scotland
218 Posts

Profile of thecardman
Hi Paul

Hope you are well, keeping busy and that the lecture tour went well.

Having worked my way through both volumes of FASDIU, I was staggered by the amount of material. To someone like me - not the most creative of people! - it would probably take me a lifetime to come up with that amount of material.

My question is, how long did it take you to come up with it all? Also, what is the (for lack of a better phrase) "discard rate" for new effects? In other words - what sort of percentage of your creations do you decide not to publish?

Best wishes

Peter
:)
My new manuscript, "The Difficult Second Album", is now available at www.thecardman.co.uk
pcummins
View Profile
V.I.P.
169 Posts

Profile of pcummins
Hi Peter!

Coming up with a routine, which, in my case is almost always a variation or combination of other's routines, can take a day or a year, it's just impossible to tell. I know I've mentioned again and again during the week that I try stuff out and adjust and adjust until I like what I've got - or I abandon it.

I've never really thought about a discard rate, and I don't actually think I ever completely abandon or discard anything. I do keep notebooks with various ideas and I sometimes go back to them in an effort to find helpful adjustments to routines that failed in that sense. "Punken Droker" is a good example of that.

I also won't publish a routine unless I've worked it for at least a year or so. Obviously there are some routines that I do far, far more often than others (I do "A La Annemann" every night; but I don't to "Movin' On Up" very often at all), but with the exception of one published routine, I had performed all of them over a period of a year, or sometimes 25 years, before publishing.

Paul
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The July 2004 entrée: Paul Cummins » » FASDIU - Again! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL