The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Advice on finding an agent to work with (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

fredpaulbailey
View Profile
New user
Fred
51 Posts

Profile of fredpaulbailey
After being in retirement for 10 years I am now ready to start doing shows professionally again and would like to work with an agent(s) to handle my bookings.

10 years ago I did not need an agent as I had the benefit of word-of-mouth and used a lot of promotional materials. Now, however, after moving to a new geographical location as-well-as being a "nubi" again I am having a hard time finding work.

As I stated I did not work with an agent before so I have no idea how to approach the subject. Do I just open the yellow pages and start calling?

What should I look for in an agent? I am assuming that not only will I be interviewing them but they will be interviewing me as well. What kind of questions should I ask them?

I have a promo DVD being produced and I am willing to invest in more promo matierials (Business cards, flyers etc...) without my contact information on them.

Please help everyone! I am only going back into it part time (Weekends only) and I live in the NW Suburbs of Chicago. I can do shows for Kids, Banquets and Private Parties.

Thanks to anyone who can provide advice. I have cruising thias area of the Café' and am very impressed with everyone's knowledge. I look forward to a slew of responses!!!
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
You don't look old enough to have been in retirement for 10 years . . .

Re: Kids Shows I'd visit the Little Darlings Section here, and I'm sure everyone almost without exception would tell you that Agents do not enter into this side of the business.

I ran a (quite successful) UK Agency way back in the 1980s, supplying both holiday centre and private function entertainers. I always found an up to date photo, plus a datesheet if possible, clear details of address/phone numbers, a general idea of how visual your act is, etc. - very helpful. These days I would have also found it helpful to be kept up to date by e-mail of your availabilities and also your recent performances. Stamps and envelopes used to cost money, but e-mails cost nothing. Avoid Agents who talk 'big' and loud and encourage those who are precise and love detail.
R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
Here is the name of my Agent;

Barbara Montoya
thetalenthouse@hotmail.com

She has represented me for many years now both on a national and local level....

She will give you advice and perhaps represent your interests?
Bradacal
View Profile
Special user
595 Posts

Profile of Bradacal
I am looking for representation to work in JAPAN. I work out of Canada but want to work overseas and in Japan. Anyone have any recommendations.

Thanks,
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Advice on finding an agent to work with (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL