The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » TV Stars? Musicians/Magicians or removing human dirt and dead rats? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
About five years ago I had a letter from a quite famous hit British recording pianist of the 50s/60s (sadly dead now). He confided in me that it dismayed him "what passes for entertainment these days".

As I'm typing this there is a programme on my TV (behind me I'm glad to say) about people who clean up filthy houses that have had undesirable tenants. Putting on rubber gloves and scraping out toilets (you know!), removing dead rats and dog droppings. (Do you sit down with your family at night and watch toilets being cleaned on TV?) There are also programmes where two ladies visit people's filthy houses, bring in a team and show what a good cleaning can do. On top of this we have programmes like Big Brother (watching a group of people and their disgusting habits and mannerisms locked in a house). All this is apparently what people want to watch on TV nowadays, - plus endless US and British police traffic cop videos, house renovation programmes, dieting programmes . . .

Just what has happened to entertainment? Where are the magicians (apart from being exposed and discredited), musicians, singers, specialities?

What kind of Society(ies) have we become? Almost voyeuristic?

Why is some guy with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth cleaning a toilet a TV Star for 2004? When I was a kid in the 50s and 60s we used to watch Big Bands, Groups, Musicians, Vent. Acts, etc. on TV.

(Oh yes, that prog's finished - and they are showing urine samples being taken now under the guise of being a prog. on King George and his madness!)
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Hey, just feel lucky you're accross the pond and don't have to deal with the "Oprah Cult".
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
Get rid of your TV and reclaim your life.

TV is only good for...
News - when required
Documentary - good for your education.
Kids stuff - for mesmerizing the kids while you do something important.

Throw out your TVs now, and rejoin the human race!
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
dr chutney
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom
518 Posts

Profile of dr chutney
Aceparties, your pianist wouldn't have been Mr Conway by any chance? Great entertainer for his time. I well remember TV in the late 50's and early 60's and 'entertainment' did seem more varied. It's where my interest in things magical sprung from. I loved David Nixon's shows, and then later Paul Daniels. Sure we move on and TV must reflect the times and what passed as entertainment then would not pass muster today in that form ( The Black And White Minstrel Show ?!! ).

I agree though that this obsession with Reality TV has gone to far. How many more Airline/Airport shows do we have to endure? If I've seen one argument at Check In I've seen a hundred. When the narrator says, "Back at Terminal 3, John is still trying to get his connection.", I just want to scream. I don't care that he'll miss his flight!

Finally, it sounds as if the BBC Governers are planning a return to quality drama, documentary, and entertainment. We've heard it before but can only hope that this time it's for real. But not 'reality'!
We're having a laugh!
Grab yourself a FREE Joke Ebook at http://thejester.biz
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
News and current affairs programmes seem to excel. The BBC still being the largest news organisation in the world. I'm also looking forward to the Alistair Campbell interview (Campbell used to be Blair's Press secretary) tonight - interviewee, Bill Clinton.

It's just that, well, do people RESENT watching someone these days who possesses a talent? Is that why piano players the world over in bars, restaurants etc. are always having the old line "can you play Far Far Away" thrown at them? Is that why magicians are treated almost as criminals and charlatans because they present something the average mind cannot comprehend or work out.

It's a sad, sad world, full of sad, sad people, and yes, some of the quite pathetic spectacles that appear on Oprah illustrate this.

(Yes, it was Russ Conway).
Kevin Ram
View Profile
Special user
Travelling through Europe
791 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ram
Hey, why don't you get digital.

Many more channels..ha

And if any of those people who enjoy those shows are watching.

I will accept £20 from you to come around and clean my toilet.

It could be a family day out Smile
"Your the Italian stallion" As said by my g/friend
dr chutney
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom
518 Posts

Profile of dr chutney
As the Boss put it :-

I bought a bourgeois house in the Hollywood hills
With a trunkload of hundred thousand dollar bills
Man came by to hook up my cable TV
We settled in for the night my baby and me
We switched 'round and 'round till half-past dawn
There was fifty-seven channels and nothin' on
We're having a laugh!
Grab yourself a FREE Joke Ebook at http://thejester.biz
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
This is one reason I collect and listen to the Old-Time Radio shows (and some not so old).
I think that all too often television just caters to people with short attention spans or people who just don't want to think.
There are still some very good shows on tv but as with anything else, be selective with what you watch.
No one say's we have to watch tv so if nothing is on that is interesting, just don't watch and go ahead and do something else, like read a book (for those who can read).
I wonder how many Families ever spend an evening just sitting around and talking to each other? Great way to get to know each other and it might suprise some people that they really do enjoy each other's company.
If ALL Families would spend at least one evening together without the tv or stereo playing and would just talk with each other and get to know each other, we might actually see a drop in juvenile delinquency and crime in general.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
We're just in another TV fad, like westerns, cop shows or sitcoms.
Something else will pop up to replace the glut of 'reality shows.'

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » TV Stars? Musicians/Magicians or removing human dirt and dead rats? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL