The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What do you do? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cliffe85
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of cliffe85
You perform your favourite card routine to your friends flawlessly. And wait for their response. But they reply to you, "My brother is a magician" or "My boyfriend's a magician". Then they tell you they know how it is done, and that they're sick of magic tricks.

I'm pretty sure most of you have encountered this. Just wondering. What do you people do in this sort of situation?
Magicmike1949
View Profile
Special user
643 Posts

Profile of Magicmike1949
Stop doing magic for the person. There are plenty of other folks who do enjoy it and love to be entertained. You can usually avoid this type of situation by not initiating the performance. Let them ask you. You'll find they're more appreciative.
Kevin Ram
View Profile
Special user
Travelling through Europe
791 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ram
Was it the ambitious card routine?
"Your the Italian stallion" As said by my g/friend
dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
Naval Air Facility, Atsugi, Japan
1158 Posts

Profile of dynamiteassasin
Yup, that's right. Finish the trick and walk away.

You should have asked beforehand if they're interestd to see magic. Don't just perform right away, not knowing they know magic, too.
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
582 Posts

Profile of BSutter
Something like, "Sorry to bore you, would it be possible for you to introduce me to your brother?"
Curmudgeon
View Profile
Loyal user
Iowa
245 Posts

Profile of Curmudgeon
Look at it as a learning experience and try to take something away from it. Even if someone they know is a magician they can't (or shouldn't) know all of the methods behind all of the effects you know. Try something that is unquie or one you created and if they still seem unimpressed then thank them for their time and move on. The most important thing to me is learning something (anything) from every performance I give.
The Cardfather
View Profile
Veteran user
Long Beach, CA
347 Posts

Profile of The Cardfather
He's a friend, you were probably doing it more for practice than entertainment. Perhaps that's the vibe he got and fired back. We've all been there, he served his purpose, don't let it bother you.
Logan Five
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1434 Posts

Profile of Logan Five
You don't do your stuff in front of them anymore. End of story.

Cardfather, that's a great screen name!
Self concept is destiny..
Tara Hall
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Tara Hall
Dismiss his brother as an amateur and explain that you are a professional. Proceed to do Out of this World, Brainwave, paddle move, etc., to prove beyond doubt that your abilities are superior to his brother's.
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Or say...

"You're sick of magic tricks? Wanna see something really scary instead?"
Ryan 101
View Profile
Regular user
Hawaii
164 Posts

Profile of Ryan 101
All of my friends except one enjoy watching my magic. I do magic for all of my friends except that one.

Ryan
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
I always come prepared with alternative endings that would make even third timer audiences gasp. It's best that we come up with these alternatives. With an arsenal of alternative endings, we don't have to end the magic right there and then; we get to finish it and blow them away more. There will always be these types of people lurking around when we perform.
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
magicmancas
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of magicmancas
One option: say yeah that is a magic trick, you know sleight of hand stuff... then continue with a mentalism effectt and explain that you can't figure it out
cliffe85
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of cliffe85
Haha.. Good one magicmancas!
watchdog
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of watchdog
Grab their head and scream at them in a loud voice "The voices they tell me to do it! Make them stop! MAKE THEM STOP!" Then silently turn and walk away as if nothing happened.

Maybe not.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
People have to want to see magic before doing any. And once you have people that enjoy your stuff, keep working for them, but don't over do it... it is often good to not work, saying you're working on something new to show them NEXT TIME.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
Slap them and say that your not a magician, but a hobbit, and that you have the One...True Ring !
Shane Wiker
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1199 Posts

Profile of Shane Wiker
Quote:
On 2004-07-19 01:14, mattisdx wrote:
Slap them and say that your not a magician, but a hobbit, and that you have the One...True Ring !

Great idea. Or...you could just not perform for them. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What do you do? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL