The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Practical vs. Impractical (essay by sirbrad) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
I always find it humorous when magicians complain about how a trick is not practical. To tell you the truth, I honestly believe that most of the time they substitute the word 'practical' for 'too much work' The trick I hear most ppl talk about in this respect is healed and sealed. They would rather find every reason in the book not to do this effect, than reasons to do it, or formulate it to fit into their performance style, or environment. It is much easier to just do something a little easier, than go through the painstaking set up process of effects requiring elaborate preparation.

Personally, if more magicians lived in my area with this mindset I would have a field day. Granted that tricks based upon 'practical' methods give added confidence, and make things a heck of a lot more convenient. However you can obtain just as amazing, and even more amazing results with tricks that many label as 'impractical.' The truth is, the more practical an effect is, the more ppl are probably doing it. Thus it is out on the market a lot more so to speak, and subject to exposure, and repetition etc. This influences me to work even harder on those impractical effects that other magicians have turned away from.

Nothing is too impractical if one puts their magic mind to using an effect to their fullest potential. However a lot of magicians would rather take the easy route, so to speak, and do effects that require little or no preparation. I would rather do effects that others have not seen many other times, just because all they require is a deck of cards, and some sleight of hand. I have even heard ppl say things related to this such as, "A few magicians made a red rubber ball appear in my hand....They made my card keep coming to the top of the deck.....The magician pulled a rabbit out of the hat" "Funny thing is, I never seen a magician restore soda like that!" "I never seen a magician cut a coin out of his arm before!"

I don't mind taking the extra time to make the 'impractical' practical. I guess the conclusion is that the only things that really are practical, are the ones that we put the required time, and dedication into in order to make them fit any given situation. True some items, or effects may seem out of place in specific environments, or may conflict with your style totally. However if one has interest in any effect enough, and enjoys doing it, he will find a way to fit it into his routine, regardless of his situation. I have no problem with magicians who only do what they consider practical, as I will continue to do all the impractical, and practical effects without a second thought.

Now I do believe that any given effect should fit into one's routine, and environment accordingly, and I am not condoning just doing the so called impractical effects out of spite, or just because they are difficult to pull off. I am just saying that the items/effects we get are only the tools, and it is up to us to use those tools to build strong effects for entertaining shows. For me to disregard any effect because others say it is impractical, would be impractical in itself. Good things in life usually do not come easy, however not taking short cuts will usually pay dividends in the end. I am sure this is the most you have ever heard the words impractical, and practical used in a few paragraphs, but hey I am hoping some of you practically enjoyed it. Smile
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
I like the reference to Healed & Sealed. I've heard from several aquaintances in the magic biz that "it doesn't fit" their "style". As if drinking beverages that come in a can only fits into one or two certain demographics... Smile

I don't do the effect myself, but not because of style conflicts... I personally don't like it all that very much, but that's just me. It would fit in great in my bar act, but, alas, not my cup of tea, or mug of beer as it were.

Nicely written essay sirbrad... I suspect you'll find many who agree with you, and as many who will have some heated replies for you to consider.

Best,

Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
The assesment of practicality is ordinarily made in conjunction with a performing venue and schedule.

Healed and Sealed is NOT practical for walk around work where one would be expected to perform the trick a good few dozen times in one evening... without any reset time.

Other wonderful tricks are likewise impractical for similar reasons of resetting effort, angles, amount to props on can carry etc.

Impractical for who, where, when and for what audience?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
Quote:
Healed and Sealed is NOT practical for walk around work where one would be expected to perform the trick a good few dozen times in one evening

Depends upon how many piles of empties can be left around without arousing any suspicion, or how large a pile of empties can be without attracting attention Smile

Best,

Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Thanks. I used healed and sealed as an example, because of all the problems that seem to go along with its preparation, and performance. Just because it does not work for someone else, does not make it impractical, or unworking for everyone. Once again we come down to personal preference. One may be able to do to healed and sealed flawlessly, while another has no success with it.

However there is probably other effects that the other magi does great, but the one who does H&S cannot do as well as he does. Personal preference, and practicality are two different entities. I would go through the effect many times before labeling it impractical.

If you truly have a desire to make it work, you will find a way. But hey if not, it simply just may not be for you. Just be sure to give it your best before you give up on it, that is if you truly wish to make the effect a success.

it just bothers me that you see a lot of magicians who try preach an effect as being impractical, or poor, simply because it does not pertain to their own style, or interest.

some preach it as if it was gospel, and try to turn others away from purchasing effects based solely on personal preference, not true practicality. I believe that this sometimes causes confusion among beginners. thanks for the replies. Smile
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Quote:
On 2004-07-16 13:08, WildStone wrote:
I like the reference to Healed & Sealed. I've heard from several aquaintances in the magic biz that "it doesn't fit" their "style". As if drinking beverages that come in a can only fits into one or two certain demographics... Smile

I don't do the effect myself, but not because of style conflicts... I personally don't like it all that very much, but that's just me. It would fit in great in my bar act, but, alas, not my cup of tea, or mug of beer as it were.

Nicely written essay sirbrad... I suspect you'll find many who agree with you, and as many who will have some heated replies for you to consider.

Best,

Mike

Heh. heated relplies, or bashing never surprises me on forums, however intellectual, or positive additions always pleasantly surprise me. Smile
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Another good example that you hear this a lot with is the raven. People are disappointed when they find out it actually requires work, and is not a self containment. I believe many magicians sometimes get spoiled as far as self contained effect go, or ones that require very little work, or preparation to pull off.
Sergeant
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of Sergeant
I must agree that many magicians will, when making a decision on their performance, take the easier way out. This is not only limited to the tricks they perform but also their entire show. A back drop is too big to drag around, my guitar amp is plenty big enough for the shows I do, I don’t think anyone wants to see a dumb illusion anymore, why should I alter my pants when there are plenty of other cool tricks I can do that are just as strong; are only some of the excuses or justifications I have heard to take the easier road.

One of my favorites was, “My show must not be larger than one trip from my car to the stage, including my sound system.” Wow, sorry to have bothered you. I don’t want you to have to work to entertain me.

Once when brainstorming with a few magicians on each of our shows, discussing how we could make them better, one particular magician seemed intent on making his show as easy as possible instead of as good as possible. It sounded like this:

How about a liquid production: Too messy
A back drop would help focus your show: To big to lug around, besides most people don’t use them
How about floating that object: I hate thread and dealing with lighting problems.
You could build a box that could be used as a switching devise: I don’t like propy looking stuff
Lets look at your script: I don’t believe in scripts, I am great at riffing with the audience.
You could use an Orange: Then I would have to go to the store before every performance, what if there was no store around?

You could get another job and quit wasting our time trying to help you!!!

In retrospect, I like these guys because their inability and laziness hurts the overall impact of their show. This makes it much easier for those of us who take the time to develop a good act. When presented with two shows to choose from, the buyer can easily see which show stressed impact over ease of use.

Sergeant
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Practical vs. Impractical (essay by sirbrad) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL