The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Question About Old Mercedes Cars (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mack Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
The Burgh' Pittsburgh, PA
268 Posts

Profile of Mack Magic
Sorry if you're not allowed to post this for any reason and can be deleted if so.

We have a 1980 Mercedes 240D which we keep in good shape and still runs nicely around town with high mileage.(You can do that with diesels!)

We had recently a warning light (dummy light) in the instrument cluster come on that we don't know what it is. It's to the left of the red Brake light, it is an orange light with something that looks like a sun with little rays around it.
You know what this is? If so please PM or write me here. It would be greatly appreciated. That part of our owners manual is missing. It has recently had new break pads put on and the alternator is fine.
Is it just the German version of a check engine light? I'm sure I'll feel dumb when I find out the answer.

Sincerely,
Mack
Mack Magic
* "May your life be like toliet paper..long and useful."
* "If the shoe fits, get another one just like it."
* "Use the talents you have, for the woods would be a very silent place if only the best birds sang!"
ColinB
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of ColinB
I don't know much about those specific cars, but I reckon it's a fair bet it means a light bulb has just gone out somewhere - we had a similar dashboard light come on in our Ford Windstar, and it turned out (we discovered by accident after a day or so of brain-wracking investigation) one of the bulbs in the rear door breaklight cluster had popped!

Check all the head/side/indicator/break/reversing/courtesy lights etc.
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Hi Mack, Am not sure what year ECUs were being used in cars in the States - but I doubt very much if an '80 Merc. will have one. What's an ECU? - Well, it's an on board computer. If a fault develops and lasts over a number of seconds then it will register a fault and the check light (management light) usually comes on. One of my cars (a 2001 model) constantly shows a fault, but as I do know a 'little' about cars I know it's nothing worth bothering with. Merc. diesels are very durable, and given plenty of good oil changes (lubes) will last way into 200 thousand plus miles.
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Forgot to mention . . . to "drain" the memory of an ECU on most modern cars just simply disconnect the earth lead (or both
leads) of the battery for a few minutes. Don't forget you'll need your radio pass code before doing this!!

If in any doubt about mechanical procedures though, always consult a technician.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Question About Old Mercedes Cars (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL