The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Keyboard interface for palm (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Zack
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of Zack
This might be a useful first step towards making a jeff haas style remote system with a hanheld.

Use A PC Keyboard With Your Handheld
Posted By: Ryan on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 2:22:35 PM

MobilityWare has released a new desktop based application that enables a existing desktop PC keyboard to be used with a handheld for typing data directly into applications over a cable or wireless connection.

The KeyLink programs runs on windows PCs. A connection between the keyboard and handheld can be made through a HotSync USB cable, or wireless connection over WiFi or Bluetooth. Once connected, the program allows the keyboard to be used for data entry with any palm os application.

KeyLink provides extensive keystroke mapping, cutting and pasting from the PC, support for the "delete" key, navigating menus and shortcuts, launching apps and other features.

TapSmart KeyLink requires Palm OS 4 or OS 5 (Garnet). It is available for download for $19.95 [BUY]. Typical Palm handhelds supported include the PalmOne Tungsten, Zire, and Treo 600 models, SONY Clie models, and other specialized handhelds such as the Garmin IQ3600. TapSmart KeyLink also requires Windows 98, 2000, or XP, TCP networking or USB cradle, and the Java Virtual Machine version 1.4 or later.
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
903 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
Unfortunately, you need both a PC and a Palm to get this to work! And the PC is running a Java application to talk to the Palm, via WiFi or Bluetooth.

To have a Palm run sound cues, we need the ability to plug a USB keyboard directly into the Palm, and then have some macros programmed to trigger the cues in mp3 software. Then one of the remotes that emulates a keyboard could plug into the Palm in place of the regular keyboard.

Instead, Palm wants to make these specialized folding keyboards that have a docking station on the top. The idea seems to be that the keyboard is as portable as the device itself and that it eliminates the docking station.

I did a search for external keyboard support for the Pocket PCs...no luck there either.

But remember, it's technology, something may unexpectedly change in the future.

Jeff
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
There's a program out there that lets you use the Palm to control Winamp. Not sure if it works wirelessly or not, the last time I used a version was 3+ years ago, at which point a cradle was the only option!
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
Jeff,

I agree with Andy, (and any audio advice he shares) I know winamp is available in a palm version, it is called "PalmAmp", I am not sure which features it has, but it dosn't look like it will accept keyboard commands, Im not sure. I also know theirs an Apple IPod plug-in called "iPod Support Plug-in".

You guys have to spend some time at http://www.winamp.com and check all the plug-ins out, a lot of software guys used their magic to create Free plugins for the general public.

A plug-in is like a new feature, upgrade.

G0THIKE
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
903 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
PalmAmp is cool, but it goes the other way...you control Winamp that's running on your PC, from your Palm device. It's another way of getting a remote control for your PC. But with the Creative controller out there, there's no need.

I've looked a lot, I can't find a way to plug a standard keyboard directly into a Palm. There's stuff that allows you to enter info into the Palm by typing on your PC's keyboard while the Palm is in the cradle, but that's not it either.

Close...so close!

Jeff
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Keyboard interface for palm (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL