The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Stargate Atlantis (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
1942 - 2022
7165 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
A stunning premier. Kind of showed how how good TV Sci-Fi adventure can be done.
Outstanding sets, make-up, CGI (the city rising from the sea was a real wow), scary as heck alien villains and above all some interesting new concepts.

IMHO...good stuff. Can it sustain?

What did you think?

Doug
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
dr chutney
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom
518 Posts

Profile of dr chutney
Sounds like more good TV SciFi from the States that UK TV just doesn't have ( or isn't interested in producing ) I know we've got the new Dr Who next year, but in a country where we have so many TV and film effects experts and CGI skills, it's Hollywood that utilises them. Unless it involves a hairdressing salon, antiques, an airport, holiday reps, or cleaning ladies, it won't get made.
We're having a laugh!
Grab yourself a FREE Joke Ebook at http://thejester.biz
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10881 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Dark rider I think I have a TWIN
VINSMAGIC
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
1942 - 2022
7165 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Vinny: I hope for your sake you don't mean looks! But then either one of us could be a credible 'Gepetto'.

Doug

(I'm not Italian...I only play one in the kitchen.)
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
Most of the UK production facilities and sound stages ect. Are owned by American Co's anyway.
Look at a Co. called Ascent Media. Last year bought most of the Soho production Co's
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7506 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2004-07-17 05:03, dr chutney wrote:
Sounds like more good TV SciFi from the States that UK TV just doesn't have ( or isn't interested in producing )

Uh... Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis are filmed in Canada, and the CGI is from a Canadian company. Smile However, I do agree that the producers are American (MGM).

I haven't seen Stargate Atlantis, but don't give the Americans too much credit, eh? Smile

- Donald.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
awfulawful
View Profile
New user
Boston, MA
19 Posts

Profile of awfulawful
Longtime fan of SG-1, I set my expectations high for Atlantis, and the first episode did not let me down. I think the show is going to be great.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
1942 - 2022
7165 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
The Gr8 Donald...

You guys work cheap. Agreed. Smile

But to give credit where it is due "Star Gate' was originally a Canadian film expanded from a Canadian TV project.

And I like the Canadian Falls better than the New York side...and the Beer is bigger.

Doug
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7506 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2004-07-21 10:54, darkrider wrote:
But to give credit where it is due "Star Gate' was originally a Canadian film expanded from a Canadian TV project.

I did not know that. I thought the TV series was based on the StarGate movie (1994) with Kurt Russell. I know that Lions Gate Films and Fox (makers of the movie) are based in California, although Lions Gate Studios are in Vancouver.

I have no idea where the movie was filmed, perhaps it was at their studios. Maybe I'll ask my wife... she runs a StarGate fan forum.

- Donald.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
1942 - 2022
7165 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
As far as I remember...the original Star Gate movie was a Canadian TV project...it was Roalnd Emerich and the other guy (?) (Independence Day...Godzilla '98' etc.)...it looked so good and the story was so strong, it got big dollar backing and went wide.

I put it on regularly for the music! Good stuff.

AS to the TV show...I always got a kick out of the image that all Planets in the galaxy looked like B.C. Smile
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7506 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2004-07-21 11:27, darkrider wrote:
AS to the TV show...I always got a kick out of the image that all Planets in the galaxy looked like B.C. Smile

I get a kick out of that, too.

All I know about StarGate (TV show and movie) seems to be verified by the Internet Media Database: http://us.imdb.com/find?tt=on;nm=on;mx=20;q=StarGate

I hadn't heard that information you are sharing. The original movie with Kurt Russell and James Spader had great music. I agree.

- Donald.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Stargate Atlantis (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL