The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Memorized deck (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
Quote:
On 2004-07-30 12:02, mattisdx wrote:
What else has hermetic press published ???

Only some of the best magic books in recent history.

http://www.hermeticpress.com

Wesley James' Enchantments
Phil Goldstein's Focus
Barrie Richardson's Theatre of the Mind
Tommy Wonder's Books of Wonder
All 5 Card College Volumes
...and many more...

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Amccrawford wrote:
Quote:
ddyment wrote:
Quote:
Anyone exploring the various memorized deck approaches might want to take a look at my essay on the topic. It discusses, in some details, the trade-offs among the different methodologies.

Thanks Doug for this. A useful document for anybody considering learning a stack...

You suggest that there is no backup if the memory fails. This is actually wrong because even if you learn it brute force, the brain does form associations... (very occasionally happens with me for certain cards).

This tends to be the case for all methods. My point, though, is that if the entertainer momentarily (perhaps in the heat of performance) forgets an association (whether it was part of the original learning process, or acquired as a consequence of usage), there is no recourse with most systems, as there is no universal way of relating card values and positions.

For the regular user, none of this is likely to be of consequence. But for those who use a memorized deck (or cards themselves, for that matter) infrequently, it can be a significant problem. That, in fact, is one of the reasons why QuickStack was developed.

... Doug
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
el toro
View Profile
Veteran user
Across the atlantic
325 Posts

Profile of el toro
I have found that my memory is probably on the strong side, because it took me a couple of hours to learn Aronson stack. I took me some practise to be able to instantly say which number any card is, and which card is at any given number. But with this ability, I feel capable of miracles. ( The luckiest cards in Las Vegas is one example) HOWEVER: Knowing what I know today, I think I would have considered memorizing my own stack, because I don't think I will be using the tricks built in the Aronson stack. But I would not have just shuffle the cards and learn the stack. I would have built in some of the tricks that I use. Maybe in a way so I could get to f.ex. "Sam the Bellhop" after a couple of Faros ? Another thing, I have marked a deck using the numbers from 1-52 and stacked it. This way I don't have to peek the bottom card to be able to know where any card is in the deck. And by marking the deck with NUMBERS you have one less conversion card/number to make.
MichelAsselin
View Profile
Veteran user
20th century, 3rd dimension
326 Posts

Profile of MichelAsselin
El Toro has the right idea; if you are to make that kind of commitment, you might as well make a stack that you WILL use.

If you are not too finnicky, Si Stebbins is hard to beat, if only because you can set it up invisily in front of the spectators, as Ortiz (and currently Youell) teaches.
" , ? ; !!! "
- Marcel Marceau, Feb 30, 1945.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Hugard and Braue teach how to set up any memorized deck invisibily in front of the audience: Encyclopedia of Card Tricks (Faber & Faber, 1961), pp. 444-445

... Doug
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
snushy
View Profile
Veteran user
338 Posts

Profile of snushy
Anybody out there attend last week's Stack Clinic in Vegas? I was dying to go, but couldn't make it.
What was it like?
Thanks!
Larry Zaslow
YOU KNOW WHY YOU DON'T SEE? BECAUSE YOU DON'T WATCH! - SLYDINI
Gianni
View Profile
Special user
WILMINGTON, DE
993 Posts

Profile of Gianni
Quote:
On 2004-10-31 12:32, snushy wrote:
Anybody out there attend last week's Stack Clinic in Vegas? I was dying to go, but couldn't make it.
What was it like?

I'd like to know who could AFFORD to go?

Gianni
Conus
View Profile
Special user
657 Posts

Profile of Conus
You'll find some nice practical memorized deck work in Gregg Webb's new CD-ROM, "The Book That Doesn't Exist...And More!"

(Interesting note: Gregg also designed the book cover for Juan Tamariz's book "Mnemonica")
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1831 Posts

Profile of teejay
Hi
Absolutely NO disrespect but it is very hard to sort out all the information/advice that is given on memorized decks
Could anybody advise me about a system I can use that will tell me the card that is 1,2 or 3 cards away from a given card?
If this is a problem perhaps which systems are not suitable for that particular task?
Cheers
TJ
Loz
View Profile
Special user
London
777 Posts

Profile of Loz
Richard Osterlind's breakthrough card system will give you the next card, so in principle, do the calculation 2 more times and you'll get the card 3 away. A bit of a pain doing multiple calculations though.

With a full memorized deck (i.e. every card every position memorized) its simple to add or subtract 'n' to or from a stack number. Standard mnemonic systems are used for memorization. See google for memorizing playing cards using the dominic system, bob farmer's mnemonics etc.
GSmithson
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of GSmithson
Quote:
Could anybody advise me about a system I can use that will tell me the card that is 1,2 or 3 cards away from a given card?

teejay - I agree with Conus on this.

Gregg Webb's CD includes methods for knowing/naming any card-anywhere in the deck. This includes of course knowledge of what is positioned anywhere above or below a named card or number.

Good luck!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Memorized deck (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL