We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Astrosphere vs Zombie (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
yanyak5
View Profile
Regular user
Delaware
186 Posts

Profile of yanyak5
I am familiar with the Zombie Ball, but just discovered the Astrosphere ball today while searching through some online dealers. How is it different from the Zombie, other than the fact that it can float in front of the cloth.? Which looks better from a spectator's point of view(zombie or Astrosphere)? How hard is it to perform? If the Astrosphere is a great trick, what's the best one to get for my bucks? Please tell me all the info that's possible (without giving away the secret of course :o) ). I would appreciate it very much.

-Thad
LeeAlex2002
View Profile
Inner circle
1006 Posts

Profile of LeeAlex2002
The Astrophere is limited in its movements but is a refreshing change from the Zombie.

The setup is fairly simple, but it would make a good opening effect.

Be careful how you store the ball as you may find yourself spending hours on the setup (as I once did on a ship when a rough sea knocked the ball to the floor whilst packing away!).

I have and do work with both the Zombie and Astrophere and for "impromptuness" and ease of movement I have to say I prefer the zombie. The angles and lighting are also better suited to many more situations than the Astrophere. In fact the only advantage above the zombie is that the ball can float in, behind and in front of the cloth, as well as away from the cloth.

Uhmm... ok so I am undecided!
Yours Magically,
Lee Alex

http://www.magic2wear.com
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
783 Posts

Profile of mdspark
How light sensitive is it? What is the minimum distance you can be from the audience?
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6750 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Astrosphere used to be one of my main effects. I have learned to love it as much as the Zombie.

Over the years, I've modified it, using a different "material" to float it with. I've detached it from the anchor points (factory setup), and routined it based on the IT Manual, by Ralph Wichmann, using the one-point hookup...that's as far as I can go here.

I've posted many more details in Secret Sessions in the Banquet Room, so do a search. You may find some useful info there. Do a search under my name, and you'll find my posts.

I will usually do the Astrosphere after I've already shown someone the Zombie, and it becomes even MORE baffling!

Cheers!

Doug
yanyak5
View Profile
Regular user
Delaware
186 Posts

Profile of yanyak5
What's the best one to get for a beginner?
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Well Yanyak,

I've spent some time researching, and have come up with this site...

http://www.themagicwarehouse.com/stage.html

I cannot find a better deal. Plus this is a fine establishment, with a reputation as being one of the most popular on-line shops.

Again, I don't use it as it comes out of the box. I've got MUCH more freedom of movement now with the One-Point. You IT guys know what I mean. Plus, there is a MUCH better gimmick, but you have to find the right brand name material. PM me for more info, and let me know you have a knowledge of IT.

Doug
Darko
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Darko
Yanyak, I think the zombie ball is much more powerful. If you see Tommy Wonder performing the trick you'll understand. Zombie ball has more movements, and is more mysterious too. The "hide and show" game that the ball do with the foulard is the great thing in this trick.

(Sorry about my English.)
yanyak5
View Profile
Regular user
Delaware
186 Posts

Profile of yanyak5
Well, I recently purchased the mini Astroshpere off eBay. It was only $8 so I decided, why not? Personally, I love it. I think it's a great concept. You guys are right that it doesn't have much freedom. That's the only bad thing about this effect. I've been playing around with it for some time and I feel it's definitely worth getting, especially if you like floating effects. It does take some practice and getting used to. I wish it could float above the cloth (I'm sure it can; I just haven't figured it out yet). It really seems to come to life when done correctly. A+ product.

Darko, I do like the hide and seek effect with the zombie. That is one thing the Astrosphere doesn't do. If it could do that, that would be one heck of an illusion.

Doug, where can I get this IT manual by Ralph Wichmann? I am definitely open to new ideas for this mini effect.
rossini
View Profile
New user
Venezuela
20 Posts

Profile of rossini
Hello, I'm from Venezuela and I bought the Astrosphere just this week. I'm interested in all the suggestions you could give for ots use.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of Dougini
The mini works, I have that, but the big silver one is my favorite.

The Wichmann book is found Here!

Best $20 you'll ever spend, if you're into IT. Use the One-Point hookup for the Astrosphere. Don't use it as it is...unhook all that factory setup stuff, and use the One-Point and the cloth (pg 15-20)...you'll never look at Astrosphere the same way...

Doug
yanyak5
View Profile
Regular user
Delaware
186 Posts

Profile of yanyak5
Thanks Doug. I will definitly look into it. I do a lot of IT work, and haven't seen this book before. I've created several effects with IT that I haven't seen marketed, so I'm always looking for Books, videos, tricks etc..on the subject.
TheMagikOne
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of TheMagikOne
My High School is having its talent show in February, which gives me plenty of time to plan ahead. I need to fill two, at least three minute-slots. I will be doing one act in which I talk (Lee Earle's Dream Test) and was thinking about doing an illusion that doesn't require talking, but perhaps a little music played to it (Zombie illusion).

The music I have brings a somewhat mystical tone, but besides the Zombie illusion, what other tricks are there to bring the same feeling, and doesn't require speaking?

Email: TheMagikOne@msn.com
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
The Zombie is very difficult to do well.
It takes a lot of practice and acting ability.
Daniel Faith
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Exactly Daniel! Smile

BOTH are illusions that require choreography, and CONSTANT practice. The idea is to "react" to the ball, and the ball "reacts" to you...independant entities! Glad to see this thread still active!

Doug
NickJegor
View Profile
Elite user
Lithuania
466 Posts

Profile of NickJegor
Expecialy pantomime, some dancing moves and so on...
Nikolajus Jegorovas
Kaunas, Lithuania
Web: http://www.nicholaskin.com
Jonty the Magician
View Profile
New user
West Yorkshire UK
73 Posts

Profile of Jonty the Magician
Quote:
On 2004-07-30 13:39, yanyak5 wrote:
Well, I recently purchased the mini Astroshpere off eBay. It was only $8 so I decided, why not? I wish it could float above the cloth (I'm sure it can; I just haven't figured it out yet).

I too bought the mini astroshere from eBay - it just arrived today! I was just messing around, trying it out, and found that if you have your arms stretched in front of you so the ball is at the top, you can then bring your hands together slightly, leaving a sort of 'U' shape in the top of the cloth, and the ball hangs seemingly 'above' the cloth. I don't know if that's a standard move or not, this being my first try at this effect, but I hope it helps you with yours.

Jon
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
That's as the exact thing I was going to say.
I used to have one years ago and I used to flick it behind the cloth and do it like that then the floating up my jacket like Jon mentioned.
Matt
funnymagicdude
View Profile
New user
Washington DC
3 Posts

Profile of funnymagicdude
I am about to buy one. I have used a zombie for years. I feel that it doesn't matter how the trick is done but how you perform it, just like all magic. It has taken me years to find my style of performing the floating ball. My performance style is a little more modern, with a hip-hop/pop-punk feel to it.

If you want to see a beautiful routine, besides Tommy Wonder, check out Mark Desouzas Floating Rose routine. I am sure I didn't spell his name correct, but you should be able to find it.
Funny Magic Dude,
Brian Garner
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17063 Posts

Profile of joseph
People are going crazy for The Thing from Bill Abbott....It looks like it has some strong advantages over the above mentioned items...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Silvernail
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of Silvernail
I like the astro-sphere. The reason being is the cloth is almost transparent! It just looks better in my opinion. ask yourself a question. if you could float something behind a cloth, any object, would you rather float it behind a nearly transparent cloth, or a cloth they cant see behind?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Astrosphere vs Zombie (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL