The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Quit Smoking DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SuperMagic
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of SuperMagic
I'm not sure to post this here, but anyway. Does David Stone's DVD Quit Smoking use a gimmick for the first part of his act on what I saw on the magic pro shop?
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2956 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
David Stone does not use gimmicks in his routine at all. His routine is very cleverly built and looks great. He gives great insight (at least in his lecture and in his lecture notes) on why the torn and restored ciggarette never looks good and why it should be done on accident. His lecture notes are also sold on his website, but I'm sure his dvd would be better.
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
It's great. No gimmicks. Very clever routine with a cigarette which doesn't involve the idea of smoking it, but the idea of "why I quit smoking."
Christopher
View Profile
Special user
531 Posts

Profile of Christopher
I adapted the routine to work in my restaurants with kids and a crayon with pencil sharpener.
RydinDubs
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of RydinDubs
This sounds interesting, is there a place where I can view a demo?
SOHartist
View Profile
Loyal user
Ft. Myers, Florida
211 Posts

Profile of SOHartist
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2956 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
I warn you his English isn't the greatest. When he came to lecture some people actually thought he was mentally challenged, they were proved wrong of course. But, even though his English is bad you can still understand what he is saying.
dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
Naval Air Facility, Atsugi, Japan
1158 Posts

Profile of dynamiteassasin
Have you tried Tom Mullica videos? Smile
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Quote:
On 2004-08-07 05:06, dynamiteassasin wrote:
Have you tried Tom Mullica videos? Smile

Sorry my friend..
IMHO your remark is entierly off topic and has nothing to do with David Stones *Quit smoking stuff!*..
DS is a great performer re that routine, TM 's routine re cigarettes is entirely different and can't be compared..
TM is outstanding re comedy AND magic and one of a kind..
Nobody can compete with the entertainment value and his cigaret-routine, but DS's routine is for anywhere/anytime/restaurant work, whilst TM's needs a little ( Smile ) preparation and is created for larger audiences, even if he can do it outside/on a beach and it looks like improvised and spontaniously..he does in this case still need his *attachecase*.
So one simply can't compare DS and TM re this..I wonder why you did???
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
adamjames
View Profile
Loyal user
England
205 Posts

Profile of adamjames
This looks great....I love doing cigarette magic (and I don't smoke).

How clear are David's explanations in the instructional part of the tape? And how long does that routine with the lighter and cigarette last?
dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
Naval Air Facility, Atsugi, Japan
1158 Posts

Profile of dynamiteassasin
Sorry about that.. Smile
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-08-17 06:47, dynamiteassasin wrote:
Sorry about that.. Smile
Don't be sorry (don't do it! -an old gag Smile ) ..no prob at all...without postings like yours (or mine Smile ), any board would be dull Smile
Thing is just, that your posting reminded me of somebody asking *How do it do a good retention pass* and somebody else answers,
*I do a very good double lift*, I'll explain it here.. Smile
Yes, I know, I often also to jump off topics, but I hope you got my point..

If anybody askes re if David Stone does use a gimmick, it is slightly off topic to draw attention to TM..
I mean, TM, is the best re cigarette magic, he is, and -I suppose he always will be- unsurpassed...
But I already mentioned the difference..

David Stones or - f.ex. Cellinis cigarette routine -which I love very much BTW, not for the sleights, but for his *acting* when presenting it..his blowing the smoke and acting, his throwing out his tongue to show it empty, simply all his action re that *simple* trick is very, very entertaining and outstandingly fine *magic* and entertainment!..

So, pls., no offence re my remark you mentioning TM when asked about DS...it's part of the fun to be at this forum..

Keep it going.. Smile

Magic Dave
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Magic Dave
The routine doesn't use a gimmick. In fact, the cigarette is never lit which allows you to do it in many venues. David presents the trick as why he never smokes ('cause everytime he tries to light the cig, it vanishes, or the lighter vanishes, etc).

It's a fun, well-cheoreographed routine, that most magicians can do with a little practice.
Nachtzehrer
View Profile
Veteran user
Portugal
324 Posts

Profile of Nachtzehrer
David is a wonderful crazy guy. I met him in FISM 2000 here in Lisbon and we became friends since then.
His DVD is great and his coin magic is as well. Get his videos. You will not regret it.
Alex
Alex
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-09-07 14:07, Nachtzehrer wrote:
David is a wonderful crazy guy.
<snip>His DVD is great and his coin magic is as well. Get his videos. You will not regret it.
Alex
I heartfully second that!
Anybody intersted in entertainment and fine magic should at least have seen him work!

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Quit Smoking DVD (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL