We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Fire torches (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TAIT
View Profile
Regular user
uk
142 Posts

Profile of TAIT
Hi all,

At the moment I am using fire string for my fire eating, but the fuel is not soaking in and it's burning out quickly. Can you guys give me information on different types of wicks?
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Hi Tait,

Go to http://www.dube.com They are a juggling supply but have good wick for fire eating. It's .25 cents a foot. Just surf their site, and I'm sure you'll find it.

I found the best fuel to use is "Coleman" camp stove fuel. All Wal Marts carry it.

Hope this helped,

Don
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Hi Tait,

Unless you can get someone who knows to show you how to make the torches properly, buy them from somewhere reputable. If they come apart in your mouth it could be serious. Try butterfingers: http://www.butterfingers.co.uk

I can make torches, but theirs are good enough that I don't bother. They look nice and professional too.

There are no Walmart in the UK, but try Blacks, the camping store.

David
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
I always used a short section of cotton clothesline, or a cotton ball wrapped tightly in white cotton twine. It worked well for me.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Didn't see that Tait was from the UK. Must be my old age. Hehehe
wol
View Profile
Loyal user
Norfolk, UK
238 Posts

Profile of wol
Get Fire Eating, a manual of instruction from Davenports in London. It costs a tenner, and it shows you everything from making torches to blasting techniques.

I would not recommend trying eating or blasting unless you have an experienced fire performer with you or a fireman! Butterfingers sticks are what I started with, but they fix the wick on with screws, and with some of the stunts I do I ended up with Philip's head screw burns on my tongue! Making my own, I know they are safe and screwless, and if I get burnt it's my own fault! Not that it would not be any way!

Best of luck!
Keep passing the open windows!
TAIT
View Profile
Regular user
uk
142 Posts

Profile of TAIT
Hi, I can do fire eating, fire transfers and fire blasting. It is just my wicks. The furl is not socking in, and it is burning out quickly.

Thanks for your help.
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Hi Wol

I agree with you about the screws on the Butterfingers sticks. I still think they are th best around though, for me it has just been a case of being aware of the screws and atking care, so far I havn't burned myself on them.

David Straitjacket
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Fire torches (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL