The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » A little help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

zaki_rafih99
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of zaki_rafih99
Hey , I signed up for a local buskerfest. I've been doing magic for years now, and have done many shows, from small to large audiences. I usually go into a show knowing which effects I'd like to do, but its never a completely organized show. Now at this fest I am doing only close up magic, as it's a small town I live in and we don't have elaborate setups like the bigger fests do. I'm just looking for any help from anyone who does done something like this before on anything from which type of effects they found worked best, or just any advice they have. There is a top prize of 750$ ,and the winner is decided by ballots/voting. Smile I want this prize!
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Well...who's the competition?

kozmo
zaki_rafih99
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of zaki_rafih99
Well I'm the only magician. there are 11 performers including me. I believe 8 of them are musicians (fiddlers and singing familes) , one group is a pair of skateboarders who will talk about the history of it and safety, and then demo a couple small moves. and one guy is a juggler, he dangles chains from his fingers and has balls on the ends of the chains I guess and swings them around. from having done magic in my hometown here where the fest is being held, I know mostly everyone in town, but even so, I want a rocksolid show to make sure everything goes right.
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
I am not quite sure I understand the setup of your performance (the performance area vs. the size of the crowd), but you did say that you would be doing close-up. Will you have to draw your crowd or is the crowd already there?

Maybe do the shell game or F&L if people are right up with you at your table. An effect that would both play well to a larger audience and can qualify as close-up would be the cups & balls.

If you will not have a working surface, maybe perform a good rope routine. Good Luck! Smile
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I'll make a prediction: The winner will be the one who excites the audiences the most. From the lineup you stated, my money is on the juggler.

Get them excited! Make noise! Get them yelling, jumping up and down, laughing, something! Leave your subtle "Hmmm, that's interesting" stuff at home.

The magic is secondary, you want them to remember YOU. You didn't say how much time you have to prepare. You probably don't have time to buy videos and learn something new. Dig through the Café. Look for BroDavid's comments on the Iron Garrote. One trick, sorta magical, and you can get a good buildup before the big finish. Not much to learn in a short time.

If you tried to go for something like Cups and Balls, no matter how technically proficient you are, you probably aren't ready to win any busking competitions with it unless you have the personality of Gazzo to back it up.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » A little help (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL