The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Best Wallet (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
What is the best wallet for use in the "Signed Bill In Wallet" effect? The one I saw looked big and cheap. I would like to get a professional looking and great working wallet for this but I'm not sure what to buy. I would really appreciate some help.
Thanks!

Regan
Mister Mystery
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3727 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I have had a lot of 'em over the years. I still have the Mullica, a British-made model and the (still my favorite) "Pasteboard Police" model. All those are good. So is the "real man's wallet".

Steve Thomas
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
Can you do the sealed envelope method with any of these wallets you mentioned?

Regan
Mister Mystery
MagicCarisio
View Profile
Inner circle
1061 Posts

Profile of MagicCarisio
Hi Regan,
You can get the "KB Balducci Wallet" they go for about $80.00 or get the "O'Connel Plus wallet" it sells for about $180.00. They both do the sealed envelope method.
You can also do a search at the Café for, signed card in wallets.
Gerard
shawn popp
View Profile
Veteran user
Denver
313 Posts

Profile of shawn popp
Camirand Academy put out a great wallet that allowed you to do the card in envelope as well the balducci card from zippered compartment and the Mullica card in "checkbook" wallet. This wallet was also a bit smaller than the typical wallet which made it very nice to carry in both the jacket and the back pocket.

Contrary to the previous post, the BKM wallet cannot be used for signed card in envelope. It is however a great wallet. I would also recommend Yigal Mesika's wallet. It is a very nice hip style similar to the Real Man's wallet. Personally I have used the BKM and the one from Camirand for years and would recommend them both
Bob Kohler
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Profile of Bob Kohler
Very soon the next BK Pro Line product following on the heels of The Final Answer will hit the streets.

My good friend Michael Forbes has been keeping one of the best secrets in magic underwraps for years.

Michael has developed a fantastic way to get the most out of the Signed Card in Wallet effect.

First, after unzipping the wallet you can hand the envelope to the spectator. There are no rips, tears or seams. Jimmy Grippo would be proud!

Second, by the time the spectator has ripped open the envelope you've already re-set the next envelope right under their noses. It's that quick. Imperative for walk-a-round or table-hopping.

For those of you who do not know who Michael Forbes is he's one of the top pros based in L.A. with credentials most only dream about. His clients are celebrities, sports figures and Fortune 500 companies.
He's been so far underground he's filthy.

The wallet is made of the finest materials. Black lizardskin leather. The stiching is top flight. For the first time he's used the proper zipper. The attention to detail is frightening. Little things that usually are "good enough" have been taken care of.

Bob Kohler Magic will have a booth at Magic Live, August 22 in Las Vegas. The Forbes Wallet will have it's premier at our booth. Come on by, say hi and see what the pros are using.
www.bobkohlermagic.com

Home of the BK Pro Line
shawn popp
View Profile
Veteran user
Denver
313 Posts

Profile of shawn popp
Sounds awesome Bob! I have always wanted "The Perfect" wallet and my quest has allotted me some 20-25 different wallets (ridiculous considering you can't carry 'em all!) Will you have the wallet for sale at Magic Live? I'll be looking for you

shawn
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1085 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
The Bendix Bombshell for the no-envelope approach and the LePaul Wallet (Lee Noble made the best,) for the envelope effect. I've used them both for nearly 30 years and they both play and both score.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2004-07-19 20:10, Bob Kohler wrote:
Very soon the next BK Pro Line product following on the heels of The Final Answer will hit the streets.

My good friend Michael Forbes has been keeping one of the best secrets in magic underwraps for years.

Michael has developed a fantastic way to get the most out of the Signed Card in Wallet effect.

First, after unzipping the wallet you can hand the envelope to the spectator. There are no rips, tears or seams. Jimmy Grippo would be proud!

Second, by the time the spectator has ripped open the envelope you've already re-set the next envelope right under their noses. It's that quick. Imperative for walk-a-round or table-hopping.

For those of you who do not know who Michael Forbes is he's one of the top pros based in L.A. with credentials most only dream about. His clients are celebrities, sports figures and Fortune 500 companies.
He's been so far underground he's filthy.

The wallet is made of the finest materials. Black lizardskin leather. The stiching is top flight. For the first time he's used the proper zipper. The attention to detail is frightening. Little things that usually are "good enough" have been taken care of.

Bob Kohler Magic will have a booth at Magic Live, August 22 in Las Vegas. The Forbes Wallet will have it's premier at our booth. Come on by, say hi and see what the pros are using.

wow!!

The Pro's know it. The workers know it. Bob Kohler has made such a dramatic impact on our craft. I'm a better Magician because of Bob and his love of magic!!!

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Appleguy
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Appleguy
Hello Bob,

Is it need to palm a card when use this fantastic wallet ? Thanks
Bob Kohler
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Profile of Bob Kohler
I agree Lee Noble was not only a hell of a guy, but he made a great wallet.

As with everything, we stand on those masters who came before...

Michael's wallet is just something very special.

Yes, card palming is necessary! Read Erdase...Le Paul etc.

Palming is one of the most gratifying aspects of our art. I love doing the Ramsay Cylinder and holding out the coins when you're telling the folks they've disappeared...it's quite a rush.
www.bobkohlermagic.com

Home of the BK Pro Line
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Bob, I'm assuming this is a jacket pocket type wallet? Not hip-sized?

Anyway, my personal favorite is Steve Draun's "Real Mans Wallet".

It is a quality hip-style wallet that I personally use as my everyday wallet. Cash, credit cards, ect all fit nicely into the thing, and it looks VERY normal.

The "loading" part is actually something that looks perfectly normal for a wallet, you could hand this out before-hand and it looks like a completly normal wallet. Probably not after but only because there is so much heat on the wallet.

The card is found(un-folded) behind a leather flap that is buttoned down, and then behind a clear window that was shut-off by that leather flap.

If you play it right, you can build up tons of suspense, as the back of the card isn't even seen until after you un-button the flap. I personally love it and its very impossible looking.

Not against anyone who uses a larger jacket type wallet, each performer has a different sense of whats "natural" to carry, but personally I've never carried a wallet had a zipper, let alone not fit into my back pocket.

WHUPS!!!! Did anyone else notice that he was asking for signed BILL in wallet and not signed card?

Sorry for the mix up, but check out the Real mans wallet for signed cards... I don't know how you'd do bills, seems they would be too flimsy!
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
Yeah I am really wanting to do the signed bill effect. Bob, how ;alrge is the wallet and when will it be available to purchase? (I can't be in Las Vegas). Also, will it work with a bill instead of a card?

Regan
Mister Mystery
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
Sorry for the typo above. It was supposed to read, "How large is the wallet and when will it be available to purchase?"

Regan
Mister Mystery
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
Runawayjag,
I have been thinking about the LePaul Wallet. Denny's has a high quality one for sale. It's hand made in Spain by Escolano and it looks very nice, judging from the pic and description. It states that you can do a card to envelope with it. I guess you could do the bill to envelope, right? With the price I'm afraid to assume anything.

You mentioned that Lee Noble made the best Lepaul Wallet. Can you do a bill instead of a card with it and is it still available to purchase?

I don't know if I want the Lepaul or if I want to wait and check out the new Forbes Wallet that Bob Kohler was talking about. It sounds great, but will it do what I want it to, when will it be available to the general public, and how much will it cost?

I can't make up my mind. The only thing I'm sure of is I have to get a high quality one that can do a bill to envelope.
I need help!

Thanks,

Regan
Mister Mystery
corpmagi
View Profile
Special user
New York
725 Posts

Profile of corpmagi
Bill, card, ring. You should be able to put any of these items in a wallet that takes an envelope. Jimmy Grippo used to do the ring and the signed card and there. Paul Gertner does a signed card and bill together. There are some wallets that are even big enough to hold a wrist watch.
A Modern Trade Show Handbook
www.trafficstoppers.com/handbook
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thanks so much Corpmagi!
I want to invest in a nice wallet and I want to get all my facts straight before I buy. You answered a big question for me.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
I just ran across another one for card to wallet at Owens. It's called the "Barry Price Wallet". Does anyone have any information on it?

Regan
Mister Mystery
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1085 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
Mister Mystery,
Yes, you could do a bill with the LePaul Wallet. No, the Lee Noble model is no longer made although you occasionally see them on eBay.

The Owen Barry Price Wallet and the Barry Price Wallet System sold by Hocus Pocus appear to be quite the same to me, having had them both.

Owen's includes instructions for a Jim Steinmeyer idea where the card ends up stapled inside the envelope, but, frankly, I think that's gilding the lily a bit.

The distinction from the Price model and all other LePaul wallet is that Price's has an extra "gimmick" in it to assure a surefire no-miss load. Those who own a wallet of this type know what I'm talking about. However, Marlo had a method to eliminate the need for this extra thing that can be done with any wallet. If you get one and P.M. me, I'll be glad to let you know the work on that part. It's one of those, "Why didn't I think of that..." ideas.

Also, the Price system includes details on the envelope wherein you can hand it to the spectator as soon as it's extracted from the wallet and HE opens it. But, again, I have done the wallet for decades and never needed this additional preparation. Francis Carlyle had a great approach to this, tearing the envelope open almost all the way and then handing it to a spectator saying, "...here, you finish it, I get nervous..." The spectator remembers that HE opened the envelope. A great idea.

Hope that helps.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thanks Runawajag. It helps indeed! I will hold you to the "extra thing" deal. Expect a P.M. from me when I get my wallet. That is, if I can ever decide which one to get.

I like the idea of the spectator opening an envelope with no evidence of entry, if it doesn't make the handling akward or difficult and if it doesn't require a lot of extra prep. But you are correct, this is probably not necessary. And by the way, I love the Francis Carlyle tip, thanks.

Regan
Mister Mystery
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Best Wallet (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL