The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » One Handed Coin Vanish? (19 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
MICKEY SILVER
View Profile
Elite user
Boston, Ma.
442 Posts

Profile of MICKEY SILVER
Hi guys ! May I ask if anyone could direct me to a source regarding a one handed coin vanish . Perhaps someone has heard of certain Magicians that do a one handed single coin vanish? Maybe someone could direct me to a book or notes containing this Info...( if possible) ? THANKS A MILLION

YOUR GOOD FRIEND,

MICKEY
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1676 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Mickey,
Curtis Kams Palms of Steel #1 is a great source for a "OHCV" Curtis goes over a few different ones.

Or you could try and track down Chris Kenner's Book he has I believe G. Latta's "OHCV" in there.

Also G. Latta explained his at LVMI last year, which there was supposed to be notes on the way but haven't heard any word on them as of yet, anyone else?

Hope this helps,

Joe
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
Vanish in the Air is awesome ! do a search and you'll find the website here on the Café in someone's post. I think it might be http://www.newmagicsecrets.com Enjoy !
Lo-Key
View Profile
Loyal user
Earth
225 Posts

Profile of Lo-Key
Mickey you should ask the GODFATHER OF MAGIC.
vinsmagic

lo key
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Mickey,

Harvey Rosenthal has done extensive work on vanishing coins one handed (and he will fool you with them)...you can contact him through his website!

Mike
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1676 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Mike,

Hello, Do you know if Mr. Rosenthal has published his "OHCV" or not?

Best
Joe
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Mickey, Garrett Thomas has a one handed vanish using his GT Web Grip. It's similar to a Downs palm but looks wayyy better. He teaches it in his video but I don't think in the manor of his lecture. I think you could figure it out though if learn the move.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4018 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
There is a one handed coin vanish in my Encyclopedia of Coin Sleights DVD, using the angle palm - it is very deceptive!
Available at dealers EVERYWHERE - RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
And if anyone (USA ONLY) needs some of the coin stuff used in the book, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com as I have some limited supplies of coins and props used in the book.
MICKEY SILVER
View Profile
Elite user
Boston, Ma.
442 Posts

Profile of MICKEY SILVER
Hey thanks guys, WOW! it's amazing what everyone knows........I will surely check into "ALL" that info,
starting with Curtis Kam's "PALMS OF STEEL #1 "

Mickey
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27122 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Here is what little I know on the subject, at this time in the morning;

The back palm work from early last century seems a good place to start. Unfortunately, this approach also amounts to challenging the audience to admire the performer's ability to hide things behind his hand...with its fingers forming a fence between the obvious and the incredible. Even Downs recognized this problem and sought mechanics to assist in keeping the hands in more natural positions.

T. Nelson Downs improved the basic approach with his now euphonious palming technique and some clever transfers.

Dr E. M. Roberts has something very good in Bobo's book for managing this in close up situations. Also, you can find the 'pumpkin seed' approach there.

Tony Slydini took the idea a bit further for sit down work.

I'm told there are a couple of copies of The Perfect Coin Vanish manuscript around somewhere which describes the first challenge sleight of hand stand up/ no sleeves approach.

From there, looking for significant advances I can only cite Geoff Latta's move from back in the mid-1970s, and that like much of his work was quite secret till recently when others published some routines.

I met Harvey Rosenthal in '87 and he did not discuss or demonstrate any significant novel or modern approaches on this subject. Harvey is a very clever man and I am curious about his findings in this area of research.

Curtis briefly discusses my approach to the thing in his first video. In his hands, it seems to work with a silver dollar. I can go as far as to use a half crown comfortably.

The J. W. Grip seems a good candidate for further exploration on this subject.

I have left out any discussion of using pulls or holdouts as such has been a constant, tried and true method for making a coin vanish using one hand... for at least as long as early last century, and probably quite a while before then. See the Downs book for more on that Smile

Again, it's early and I have probably left out some good works by some great people.

Coffee time
...to all the coins I've dropped here
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10760 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
I believe Shoot Ogawa does a one handed vanish.
withoout sleeving the coin, he demonstrated this technique at one of his lectures

vinny aka godfather of magic
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27122 Posts

Bit more awake now, and recalled a gem from way back.

Oddly enough, John Ramsay's take on the mid-air coin vanish brings the thing from out and to the side, to front and center, and uses misdirection to manage the coin. I would include this in our collection as only one hand manages the coin, even though the other hand happens to catch it. Smile

The Ramsay mid-air vanish can be found in his Coin and Jam Jar trick, and in his Cups and Balls routine.

The ping pong ball vanish is probably still available at the magic shop.

Okay two more... John V. Hope had two such vanish methods. I believe he was coaxed into letting them into print into Harry Lorayne's magazine Apocalypse. Both wonderful moves.

One amounted to doing the Slydini revolve vanish while standing. The other was a bit where you bring up your knee, then slap the coin down onto your leg... and then show nothing under your hand. Sorry he's not around to show this thing. It looked great when he used a three inch coin, a five inch coin or a plate. John had a few students. He is missed.
Chris "linkster" Watson
View Profile
Special user
England
564 Posts

Profile of Chris
A few One handed vanish references:-

Reed Mclintock - Coin Patriot
Shoot Ogowa - Cultural Exchange 1
Jim Pace - Paralell sleeve vanish
Curtis Kam - POS 1 (several to choose from)
Gary Kurtz - Creating Magic Video/ Unexplainable acts book (Geoff Lattas nowhere palm vanish, published with out Geoffs permission but to the best of my knowledge not available elsewhere, One of my favourites!!)
Vanish in the air uses a very specific hand movement and an old principal...not bad though.
R Paul Wilson - Crowded Coins - Similar to Geoff Lattas french pop vanish without the pop.
JW Grip vanish is startling but may require motivation for the hand being in that position
Dr Roberts method from Bobo's is great (be careful not to kill anyone practicing it though Smile )
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27122 Posts

In Discoverie of Witchcraft there is a method using wax and almost back-clip.

In the older books, the coin stand helps for this effect. As does the use of ] or other coin gaffs.

More generally, cuffing, servantes all in general use long ago.

There is a gaff setup described in a story in Bobo's using a ~ and TT to manage this in the context of a miser's dream routine.
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Mike,

Hello, Do you know if Mr. Rosenthal has published his "OHCV" or not?

The J. W. Grip seems a good candidate for further exploration on this subject

Harvey had published a basic, but deceptive method in an pld set of his lecture notes. The J.W. grip was originally a one hand vanish...unique part of it though was that it actually needed both hands to make the vanish.

Mike
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
I was pretty impressed by a little vid on sleightgeek.com. It was made by a guy calling himsels Spoontang (real name Andy Gordon, from Australia).
Hotdamn...awesome clip, awesome routine, awesome technique. And there is a onehanded vanish!!!
Smooth as silk...
Do a search there!
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Dark
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Dark
I just saw Finn Jons-The Incomparable video and I was wondering whats the history on his "one-handed" vanish. He claims it to be very old.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27122 Posts

Ah, yes, we should include the John Cornelius Fickle Nickle in our list of one handed vanishes. He, of course can also do the thing using sleight of hand. Knew I left out someone special.
Sirakor
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of Sirakor
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4863 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Jeff Stewart's NUSINUD enables you to do a remarkable one hand vanish of a real half dollar and show the hand on both sides afterwards.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » One Handed Coin Vanish? (19 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL