The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Suggestions requested (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RandyM
View Profile
Special user
579 Posts

Profile of RandyM
I'm requesting your suggestions for introducing a borrowed ring that will lead into a closer I have called Stuck in Time. This effect for those that don't know is a borrowed ring that jumps from a Ring Box to the interior of an Hourglass.

What I was thinking of is an effect called There and Back by David Regal to begin with. I know I could just use the effect Stuck in Time but I want the introduction to blend into a Routine.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
RandyM
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
582 Posts

Profile of BSutter
So you want to put together a show that revolves around a single borrowed ring?

What if the spec. won't let you keep it that long?
full circle
View Profile
New user
Pascagoula, Ms.
53 Posts

Profile of full circle
Suggest you rephrase the question. Do you mean immediately after the spectator hands you the ring & before you put it in the box? What do you want to do with it??? Link with your own, float, vanish & recover, transform? Maybe just to show it off and call attention to it you could use the little sleight where you put it on your first phlange of your middle finger and have it jump back & forth to the ring finger? Nice little optical illusion.

John
"A person who can laugh at himself, will never fail to be amused".
RandyM
View Profile
Special user
579 Posts

Profile of RandyM
Didn't think the request was difficult to follow. but.... I simply want to borrow a spec's ring and begin a nice routine with it. I thought of There and Back where the ring jumps/moves from a glass that covers it to another glass nearby, Then continue from that to the effect Stuck in Time.

Not looking to "keep" the ring for any period of time, just a nice flowing routine. I found spec's share their experiences when using items borrowed from them , and even more so with items of a sentimental value such as a ring. Although effects like CMH and Pinnacle are nice, I primarily use them simply when asked " Hey, Randy can you show me something" type of situation as opposed to what I would like to do during a nice flowing routine.
boboneO
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of boboneO
Randy, are you familiar with the Ray Grismer work on the borrowed ring which, when strung on a shoelace, comes off in the spectator's hand? The impact is so strong at the end of the routine that you have misdirection to go into ANY subsequent ring effect without having to worry about your "get-ready." The last I heard, Ray is in Silverton, Idaho, and has a tape that is worth it's weight in gold to those who like borrowed ring stuff. Hope this helps.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
A good finish would be the finding the ring in a locked (nest of?) box(es).
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I am following you and I don't know why everyone else is offering so many off topic thoughts. If you're looking for a lead in routine, I suggest ring on the wand in David Regal's Constant Fooling book, this way you have a penetration first onto a magic wand. Then you can go into the routine of jumping from glass to glass. Then end with the ring inside of the hourglass. I would try to introduce the hourglass beforehand pattering about how you are going to be able to do 3 amazing feats of impossibility with a symbol of true magic...love and borrow the ring. Then you introduce the hourglass, so they see it and are not suspicious of it. Then the wand, which the ring penetrates. The wand can also add to handling later in your effect by keeping heat on it because it's the MAGIC wand. I would have the glasses on the table before anything starts and move into your next effect. The best ending would be for the sand in the hourglass to run out and have the ring sitting inside to finish. That is just my idea on how to routine what you are looking for. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. Also, you should look at Paul Gertner's Steel and Silver book, he has a 3 phase ring and hourglass routine, the borrowed ring penetrates the center of the hourglass 2xs then finally ends up inside and he has to break the glass to get it out. Good luck!
RandyM
View Profile
Special user
579 Posts

Profile of RandyM
Thanks twistedace.. nice to see philadelphian here. The effect Stuck in Time does end as you suggested (in the hourglass) I really appreciate your suggestions your "right on" with what I was requesting from other members here. Just a simple way with of progressing to ending with Stuck in Time.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Suggestions requested (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL