The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The complete works of derek dingle? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
This book is a classic. Rollover Aces and Quadaconvincing Triumph are two effects from his book that I love to perform.
Michael Bilkis
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of Michael Bilkis
I perform Too Many Cards and All Backs with Selection. Some of the other stuff, I would like to perform but my card handleing is not up to that level.
Doug Peters
View Profile
Special user
I have a life, so I only have
591 Posts

Profile of Doug Peters
Regal Royal Flush, Everywhere and Nowhere, All backs with Selection, Miracle Mental Spell, Maestro's Poker Deal, Silver Quick -- these are great effects. Considerably better than the vast majority of the stuff coming to market every month... Smile
"if you have any answers, it's time to ask harder questions!"
dbiderman
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of dbiderman
"Rollover Aces and Quadaconvincing Triumph are two effects from his book that I love to perform."

hey larry, do you perform these effects for laymen or magicians? through my experience, they are good for other card workers, but terrible for every day presentation. not only is the set up for rollover very long, but the effects themselves kind of drag for a layman.

in rollover aces there is the long shuffle sequence, that even if done very well, takes atleast 25 seconds to shuffle, which is hard to cover with any patter, and the triumph is a waste for a regular spectator. to a regular layman, the original triumph is just as good as dingle's
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
99% of my perfoming is done for lay audiences. Rollover Aces is one effect that gets those "Oh my God" reactions from the audience. I have been perfoming this for literally decades. I remember first seeing the effect performed by Derek Dingle on a nightime talk show. A friend of mine who was not a magician raved about this trick the next day. I think Derek also did Cardwarp on that show. I never timed the shuffles (Ammar uses the time factor as a challenge when he does it) but 25 seconds seems about right although I don't sense that that is a long time for a card trick.
Quadraconvincing triumph is a quick impromptu effect which spectators seem to love. I prefer it to Vernon's original Triumph because it appears more baffling IMO.
Magicman862
View Profile
Veteran user
Cincy, OH
385 Posts

Profile of Magicman862
I have this book and am willng to sell it, please pm me if you are interested
Paul
eryanic
View Profile
Special user
683 Posts

Profile of eryanic
Heard lots bout this book...
I read that Dingle's works are all excellent.
I have "Dingle's Deceptions" and the material in it is pretty brilliant!
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1085 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
I had the good fortune of seeing Derek do almost every item in this book and they are all killers. Not many will give them the time they deserve. How soon we forget. Derek almost single-handedly resparked interest in the Classic Pass. He even performed it on the Tom Snyder Show as a "trick." No nonsense, just inserted a card in the center, admonished everyone to watch closely and the card was on the top. He also definitely renewed interest in Leipzig's classic "Sympathetic Cards," with his outstanding version. Color Triumphant clearly started the trend for Color Changing Deckss without the use of a Hindu Shuffle. And, his coin work would have, and did, make Ross Bertram proud. He was WAY ahead of his time and he was a delightful entertainer.

I've often said if I could only have five magic books for life, this would be one of them.
Boat
View Profile
Loyal user
255 Posts

Profile of Boat
Way back I took lessons from Derek Dingle. He wowed me with some amazing stuff and taught me a lot of it. I've been doing his stuff for years. When I got the book, I added more of his material to my repetoire. Some of it may not read great, but when performed it's gets an amazing response. Derek was a great guy and a great magician.
Simon Lovell
View Profile
V.I.P.
506 Posts

Profile of Simon Lovell
Derek Dingle was one of my best friends and I sadly miss him. I worked with him on many occasions and he was, without doubt, one of the finest close-up entertainers I have ever seen work to lay people.

His book The Complete Works contains some extraordinary and superb effects.

As I said in my introduction to his last notes, "There's magic, there's magicians and then, in a class all of his own, there was Derek Dingle.

He wasn't that good ... he was better!

S
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
I don't do a single trick from The Complete Works of Derek Dingle but I wouldn't give up my copy for anything.

runawayjag wrote: "...if I could only have five magic books for life, this would be one of them."

You could just as well say "if I could only have five magic books for life, this would be TWO of them." It's contains fine lessons on expert card handling and expert coin handling. In addition there are lessons to be learned on how to construct a devastatingly deceptive effect for magicans and how to entertain anyone with a single sleight (The Derek Dingle "that's me" FABULOUS Jumping Card Trick.... the trick with eleven cards)

There's a reason that trick is the last one in the book. It's the MOST important lesson there.
Doug Peters
View Profile
Special user
I have a life, so I only have
591 Posts

Profile of Doug Peters
Quote:
runawayjag wrote: "...if I could only have five magic books for life, this would be one of them."
Me too -- I'd love to know what your other four would be.

-dp
"if you have any answers, it's time to ask harder questions!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The complete works of derek dingle? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL