The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » "Rocky" Spring Puppets (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
vincentmagic
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of vincentmagic
After a great deal of expense and work, I got a hold of a new original Rocky. Here's how you can tell if you have an original Rocky. The Vintage one has a wider nose. The head is a bit wider as well. The fur also sheds a bit. Also, the fur is less fluffy and when I placed it beside the new Magic Masters version, it looks more like a real raccoon. The colour of the fur on the body and tail match more closely and is nicer to handle.
I would not do the slamming on the table gag. The reaction I get is so strong, that I end my shows with it. Also, I do not shake mine to get rid of the shedding fur. I think it adds to the realistic quality because real animals shed fur.
Also, do not do the gag where some performers throw Rocky out into the audience. Some kids will thow it on the ground and some may even stomp on it. Nobody touchs my Rocky but I do get up close to the kids with him.
How do you know if you are performing it correctly? If the audience asks, "Is it Real? then you know you are doing a good job. I leave out the impressions and the jokes about him being a slinky in a fur coat. If you tell the audience that he is fake and slam him on the table to get cheap laughs, that is how the audience will think of you as a performer. React to and treat Rocky like a real animal and that's how your audience witll think of your puppet. It also shows your audience how you feel about animals in general.
Good Luck!
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
578 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
I don't care how real your Rocky looks. If you manipulate it well they will buy it. I was amazed the first time I heard a High School audience asking their neighbors if it was a real raccoon. I don't think my Rocky looks at all realistic, but they did.

It's a puppet. Use it. Sell it. Make a good show.
vincentmagic
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of vincentmagic
I agree, but the cleanliness and quality of your props does add to the overall presentation. I am not saying everything in your show has to be made out of gold,
but as long as your props are in good working order, clean and well maintained, you should be fine. I am very picky about the condition and quality of what I use. Like wearing a nice suit, it reflects on you.
However, the person and performance is the most important thing. No question.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Vincent where can we buy a Decent Rocky ?
vincentmagic
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of vincentmagic
Quote:
On 2011-04-19 12:48, The Donster wrote:
Vincent where can we buy a Decent Rocky ?

There are many different suppliers. This puppet more than any other requires a good presentation. How real it appears depends on you.
Like any puppet, if you believe that it is real, and act and treat it like it is real, the illusion will come across to your audience and they will buy the presentation.
Check out some puppet stores and try them out. Google search. Get one that suits you and your performing style. Not everyone is suited for Rocky. Like all magic tricks. Some look good but you have to try it out to see if it fits your style and comfort level. Ask yourself if you enjoy performing it. If you fell uneasy, choose something else.
Yours truly, Vincent.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3272 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Can anyone give an opinion on the quality and realism of the raccoon spring puppets listed in the links below?

http://www.onewaystreet.com/product/665/animal_puppets

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S2997

http://www.bringthemin.com/catalog/index......s_id=346
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3272 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
It’s been two weeks; I guess no one has an opinion
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
I'm sorry, Howie. I don't think I have any of those. The raccoon I've got is in a trunk, but I don't think it's one of the old classic rabbit fur ones.

-Philip
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
Ha! And I called you "Howie!"

-Philip
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3272 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
No problem Philip, I know, you know who I am.

My past shows history is starting to add up.

I am getting into puppets as well

I am researching and practicing balloon twisting to expand my knowledge.
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
578 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
The first 2 listings look like one that I have. If it's the same, it's not very realistic looking but it responds well to manipulation. I think that is more important than how it looks.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3272 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Oliver;

I am a very particular on what I buy; I am looking for the most realistic and most responsive raccoon I can find.

understanding that manipulation is more important than looks, I am in no rush to purchase a raccoon, and I want to locate and purchase the most realistic in design and manipulation I can find.

Can you point out a dealer that will have such a raccoon puppet?

Buzz
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3272 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
I am wondering if anyone here has an older realistic looking raccoon they want to sell?
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3272 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Since I did not get a reply form anyone here about an older Raccoon, I found two in the same auction on eBay, here is the information on it;

Pair Vintage 1979 Rocky Raccoon Spring Puppets Original
The used animals are in about Near Mint condition.
1 - Original 1979 Rocky Raccoon
1 - Original 1979 Ring-Tailed-Fox
These critters were purchased from Ken Fletcher and Jeff Justice in 1979
Rocky is full figured and has the original flat-pelt tail with fluffed top bush.
His ring-tailed-fox associate is more slender and has the full round-bush tail.
Neither of these guys have ever been trimmed.
These used puppets are 32-years old and are a delight to manipulate.
They have not been employed since 1979 and they were always
handled with the greatest of care.
They have been hibernating safely since 1980 and are now ready
to resume their entertainment careers.

Do you think it was a good deal for $54.00 for both?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » "Rocky" Spring Puppets (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL