The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Burning Stuff (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
I heard yesterday (from a layman) that there is an effect where it appears that you are burning a handkerchief or similar with no damage.

He said the routine usually starts with a handkerchief actually burning (lighter fluid being the fuel) but the second time a mixture of 50% water and 50% acetone was used. Apparently the acetone burns but the water keeps the handkerchief from being consumed.

Anyone heard of this?

Smile

Ray Banks
-------------
Pick a card, any card...No. not THAT one...THIS one

Ray Banks
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
I know of a way of doing it, but I have never heard of the acetone/water mixture?

The way I know of, you use alchohol. Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
He said it was like using alcohol to have a fire in your hand but not burn.

Not sure I'm ready to try the hand bit yet.

Smile
-------------

Ray Banks
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3780 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Alcohol burns very HOT Smile , sounds like a risky venture to me. I would advise extreme caution. Good luck! Smile Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
I know. I'm not going to try it.

It just tweaked my curiosity a bit.

The guy who told me about it works in Space Shuttle Safety and is a paramedic. Maybe he's trying to drum up some business for both organizations! Smile

Smile
-------------

Ray Banks
Bengi
View Profile
Veteran user
Georgia
309 Posts

Profile of Bengi
Just a thought here....... Smile

How about using Cold Fire.... the stuff
fire-eaters use? I think Abbott’s carries it

Whadda ya think?

Bengi Smile
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
As a fire-eater of over 20 years experience, I must say that I don’t use, nor have I ever heard of a fire-eater using anything called “cold-fire”! I use cotton torches and any non-lead flammable fuel (I use a lighter fluid that burns with a nice orange flame). Trust me the flame is hot and it burns, even if you know what you are doing.

That said, I don't know every fire-eater in the world, but I do know a dozen or so that earn a big piece of their living performing playing with (and eating) fire.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Mumblepeas,

How is it you know so many people who've had my wife's cooking?
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
Just outside parts unknown.
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
Smile Smile
You'll wonder when I'm coming, you'll wonder even more when I'm gone. - Max Malini
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
Just outside parts unknown.
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
Ray I sent you a PM, but never got a response. If you would please E-mail me I would appreciate it. Smile
You'll wonder when I'm coming, you'll wonder even more when I'm gone. - Max Malini
piccard
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of piccard
I don't know a great deal about this subject.
But I have used this so called "COLD-FIRE"
...It's anything but cold and can really warm your fingers up... It's also Toxic and should never be put in the mouth... It can be had state side by Stevens Magic Emp... and in Switzerland from Zauberland in Zurich I used to use a few fire things in my street show ...but found it to be messy and to time consuming to set-up and I removed my eyebrows once and thought.. That's it!!!
...But hey fire is great for stage work... When traveling with flash cotton or paper.. make sure you wet it good before boarding a plane... If they get you with any pyro-stuff on a domestic or international flight... Your in big trouble-Boy!!!...
MatthewBlackwell
View Profile
Regular user
England
140 Posts

Profile of MatthewBlackwell
I have in my possession a book entitled ‘Science Magic’ by Kenneth M. Swezey (great book – published 1955).

It details an effect (though it’s not actually a magic book as such) called the Unburnable Handkerchief:

“The secret lies in the liquid, which consists of 2 parts surgical spirit mixed with 1 part of water. Squeeze out the excess liquid and hold the handkerchief with tongs… Only the alcohol burns; the water keeping the temperature of the cloth so low that that handkerchief itself can’t catch fire.”

There’s a large picture of someone doing it and I have to say it looks very much like it works. One note I’d add: I’d steer well clear of handkerchiefs made of anything other than cotton – I suspect the fabric still gets pretty warm – if not actually enough to scorch it.

BTW, I could be imagining it but I seem to recall trying something like this once. My advice would also be to not to attempt to try a patch of the handkerchief but to do the whole thing. If you do a patch (as I remember it) it tends to scorch around the edge of the wetted area.

Cheers,

Matthew Blackwell
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4697 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
A local fire-eater swears by Coleman's White Fuel.

Smile
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
McBride has an effect on His Video (I dont recall the name of the video but it is one of the 2 video set) where he has a flame abou the size of a large candle flame travel around on the top of a Cloth, and the cloth is Not gimmicked at all.

The Effect is part of his presentation with McBride's Candle, and it plays well with the candle, but it certainly could be done without the candle - by using the right replacement device.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
MatthewBlackwell
View Profile
Regular user
England
140 Posts

Profile of MatthewBlackwell
They used to sell something called 'Volcano' in Davenports that sounds a lot like this. Anyone familiar with it?

Cheers,

Matthew Blackwell
snuf
View Profile
New user
Antwerp Belgium
8 Posts

Profile of snuf
What I use is simply a piece of cotton which I made wett and put some cleaning gasoline one (the brand where you can clean everything with, so no smoke). What I have to do is spinning it around otherwise it gets to hot on the fingers. It produces a big flame and a big effect!!! so watch out. Smile
After the burn you get some smoke from the water, the cotton is not being burned

Steven
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Burning Stuff (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL