The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » Nursing homes, nervousness and confidence (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
jacob boehme
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of jacob boehme
This might be a bit out of place here, but I've been looking through recent threads and a lot of people are worried about nervousness, or getting sweaty or even being over-confident.

I have one thing to say on this topic which, I think, merits it's own topic - NURSING HOMES. Cruel though it may sound (and anyway magic is essentially cynical because we are deliberately lying to the punters), nursing homes are excellent places to refine the psychological aspects of performance.

Firstly, the residents are more than happy to have an entertainer come. It brightens up their day and is often a welcome change from the organised entertainment they have (singing songs, push-hapenny, etc.).

Secondly, you need not worry so much about fooling them since they are often not as "on the ball" as normal people.

Thirdly, and related to the second you need to put across your effect very strongly to make sure they know something has happened.

Fourthly, because they are seniors, any hint of arrogance will not go down well and probably undermine your whole performance. This is true. In one of my first shows I came across really cocksure, and one old gent threw his yogurt at me which landed in my close-up case. Needless to say, not a good show and sure took the edge off my style.

Just my two cents.

Jacob
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
I think it would be very nice idea for magicians to share their talents by volunteering in nursing/old age/retirement homes (to perform magic, that is). As you point out, one would have to learn some new skills in audience management, but it would be worth it.

I think your idea is a good one. Actually I'd be happy enough just to go down there and play cards with the seniors. They're probably a lot more wiley than my pals at the card table.
tjo'
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Giving free shows at the nursing homes is good for everyone. It is a great place to do things you normally have difficulty doing in a real show. One of the things that is very important to know is exactly how long a trick take in your routine. Nuring homes don't break for commercials. It is an excellent venue to test tricks and timing for your other shows.

I will warn you about one type trick to avoid in a nursing home. NEVER hand one of the residents a prediction until it is time to open it. Otherwise, it will be opened long before you finish the trick.

People in nursing homes often invite visitors to special occasions at the home. Don't be disappointed if it creates a booking somewhere else.

Enjoy and share it!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Tspall
View Profile
Regular user
Lumberton, NC
147 Posts

Profile of Tspall
If you wanted to set up something like this at a nursing home, are there any special considerations? I'm assuming the smart way to go would be to contact an administrator to set up a time to visit and perform, but is there anything else a magician should be aware of when setting up an appointment (not in performance)?
Tony
"It's showtime!!"
My magic blog:
http://ahora_mismo.blogspot.com/
superhiro
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of superhiro
I definitely think performing at a nursing home is a great idea. It would be good practise for people to get there confidence level up. Plus if your not quite sure if a routine is ready for your regular shows you could always perform it to the seniors first.

I need to try this out in the near future.

Hiro
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Tspall,

You are a considerate magician! Great! You help our image!

There are two times to avoid calling at a nursing home: any mealtime and bedtime. It is good too, if you will let it be a sponsored event by your church, Exchange Club, Ring, or what ever. You get credit both ways and it encourages others to get involved. If you need references, it will generate references too. Plus, it is likely to get press for someone. You can’t lose. You get to do magic before a live audience.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
CamelotFX
View Profile
Special user
Minnesota
596 Posts

Profile of CamelotFX
Be respectful at all times: these are folks who grew up with John Scarne and others whom you only know now by name and legend. They also predate TV back when magic was a household event and they probably know a few tricks themselves. Finally, their eyesight and hearing requires that your effects be large, your voice be strong and your moves be definite.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2097 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
http://www.online-visions.com/other/index.html

Yea, I've been performing for this type of venue spefically for 16 years. I wrote an essay on my thougths about it, and even had it published to online visions. This venue is not for just 'any' magician, and can be very demanding, and will sometimes tax the patience, and performance ability of even the most experienced magi. It can be a great experience for the most part though.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Having worked this venue, among many others, for years now, I have come up with a few pointers that may be of some help to anyone wanting to try performing at nursing homes:

The eyesight and hearing of the residents may not be the best so speak slowly and clearly and loudly, use large and colorful props.

The attention spans are not that great so this is definitely NOT the place for long, involved routines; make it quick, short, and to the point.

Many of the residents are not ambulatory so, if you are going to need a volunteer, make arrangements with a staff member in advance to be the volunteer. The residents love to see a staffer as the "foil" and it will save you a lot of headaches.

Most nursing homes do not have much of a budget, if any, for entertainment, so your work will be appreciated. And you will feel good about doing it. So it's a win-win situation.

cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
PROFED
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago,Illinois
229 Posts

Profile of PROFED
As always, Peter's views are right one. In addition we should make a distinction between nursing home and assisted living or senior's retirement facilities. The residents of the later will certainly be less debilitated, and may participate to a greater extent. When working with a senior as assistant, I always have a back up plan to use if the senior cannot participate at the level I planned. An other thing to consider is that most facilities do have some type of entertainment budget for holidays Christmas, Thanksgiving, Holloween etc. Perhaps others times would be better to offer free shows to avoid upsetting the market for full or parttime pros.
dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
Naval Air Facility, Atsugi, Japan
1158 Posts

Profile of dynamiteassasin
Thanks for the idea! I'll soon try a voluntary work in a hospital. Smile
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
I have been volunteering at a VA hospital, spurred on by the S.A.M.'s program for this. There is a "nursing home" within the hospital. If you find the head of recreation therapy at a VA hospital, they would be delighted to schedule your visit. The great thing about this venue is that you know that they have no budget for entertainment at all, so you are not taking paid work away from anybody.

There is good advice on this thread. Keep it simple, keep it visual, keep it short. Also, no fire, animals, knives, guns, loud noises, religion or politics. The S.A.M. has good advice here.

Yours,

Paul
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
First of all, I've done nursing homes. My wife used to be a Director of Nursing at one and let me tell you, even though sirebrad is right in his treasise that they get a lot of money for these folks, their entertainment budgets are abysmal. Many of these homes, and I would even be so bold as to say most, barely break even. There are tons of considerations, insurances that don't pay, expensive care, etc. In fact, usually the homes can't even afford to provide cookies and kool-aid for refreshments at my shows (I provide them, well, my wife cooks them).

So if you are going to do these shows, tell the nursing home that you will do it but they have to make the show open to families of the residents. That way Grandma gets an extra visit. Of course, you may get a gig out of it.

I personally like children's hospitals, but I love sponge balls and so do kids so it's a natural.

Volunteer work is where it's at. It will keep you fresh and hone your skills. You don't have to be Svengali, just your being there excites them. And, it makes you feel very, very good.

Oh, how do you set up one in a nursing home? Call the Activities Director. Use that word 'volunteer' and watch her fall all over herself to give you anything you want as long as it doesn't impact her tiny budget.
ykstem
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of ykstem
I have been performing a regular show at a local hospital for the last 2 years, mostly older adults in the in-patient physical rehab ward. At the hospital, my request to perform had to be processed through the volunteer department.

Like just about everyone else, I heartily recommend the experience, with a few observations.

First, it's a wonderful thing to see your magic lift the spirits of people who are struggling through a difficult time;

Second, if you aspire to improve as a performing magician, you need a place to practice and learn with a live audience, and volunteering is a great way to do so,

Third, a performance is a performance is a performance - just because you're volunteering doesn't mean that the audience doesn't deserve your best, including a well thought out show; you'd be surprised how many magicians think they can just "wing it" when they are performing for free. The audience/patients will pick up on it.

In short, it can be a very challenging expereince, but well worth it if you are willing to put the effort into it.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Ykstem writes: ". . . just because you're volunteering doesn't mean that the audience doesn't deserve your best, including a well thought out show; you'd be surprised how many magicians think they can just "wing it" when they are performing for free. The audience/patients will pick up on it."

This is a VERY important feature of volunteering at nursing homes and similar locales.

Every time you perform, whether it's for money or not, you MUST give your best, 101 per cent, or don't bother doing it at all!

Sorry if that sounds harsh but we MUST repect EVERY audience!
EricHenning
View Profile
Loyal user
Laurel, Maryland
218 Posts

Profile of EricHenning
I first latched onto the nursing home idea as a teenager and used to do shows at a nearby home where I knew some of the residents. I would do the shows in the summer, when I was off school and when NOBODY visits (between Father's Day in June and Thanksgiving in November, most residents get NO visitors - i'ts pathetic).

These shows forced me to be clear, visual, big and bright in my magic, to keep plots simple and straight-line. It taught me to respect EVERY audience. I credit my nursing home shows with helping me get better faster than I otherwise would have.

I recommend hursing homes for my students and anyone who wants to get experience. But one must work on good terms with the facility, don't just barge in and tell them how to do it. The staff have much more knowledge than you do about dealing with the enlderly and infirm and you can learn a great deal from them if you listen.

In my area, we have many "independent living" retirement homes for folks who are reasonably healthy, mobile and fit. I have done shows for them, too, and it's more like a regular banquet show.

Oh, yes, and NO BLUE material. And no making fun of volunteers. I used staff for volunteers mostly, unless I was producing a (silk) flower to giveaway to a lady.

I found that pretending that each one was my grandparent was all I needed to get motivated.

Cheers!
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I first latched onto the nursing home idea as a grownup because that's when I started doing magic and there's one close to my home.

These shows forced me to never want to do it again.

Before my "act", I peeked into the room and I noticed almost all the spectators had been wheeled in. Some of them gasping, choking, sleeping, catatonic, shouting profanities, you name it.

I was horrified. I had no "real" spectators. Who was going to hold the sponge balls. Who was going to pick a card, much less remember a card.

Luckily, many of the nurses were there to do the hands-on spectatoring and the others got to watch as they were able and it went ok.

I bring this up just so you're prepared for the worst. I was not. I was expecting a bunch of elderly people coming in after a thrilling game of bridge or shuffleboard. NOT!!!

I would do it again in a minute but I'd talk to the establishment first to try to get as many nurses or family members (grandkids,etc) as possible in the audience as well. This provides a lot more energy and a better show for all.

Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Angela
View Profile
Regular user
Ohio
190 Posts

Profile of Angela
Frank-
I know what you mean! Every time I perform at the nursing home, the nurses are the ones that get a kick out of it... especially in the alzheimer's unit. Some of the residents are great, though. A group of the more active people actually wheel around to watch me perform for each unit (this makes me laugh thinking about it). It's nice, though, because I'll walk down the hallway with everyone following me calling, "Angela the magician's here!" and more people will wheel out of their rooms and follow along. It feels good knowing that I've livened the place up a bit. Smile

Angela
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1787 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
Angela welcome, just noticed your links & my first thought was I bet this girl does pagents, I have a niece that is heavily incolved with dance, modeling & pagentry in south carolina *& your links looked familiar. Anyhow just curious what are your ambitions professionally, modeling, magic or something else, you are definitely accumulating some great experaince.
Angela
View Profile
Regular user
Ohio
190 Posts

Profile of Angela
Thanks! My goal in life is to become a doctor. I'm in my senior year of high school right now, so I've been really busy lately with college applications. To help me get into the medical field, I've been volunteering at hospitals and nursing homes for a few years now. I found myself tying magic into my visits a while back, and I haven't stopped yet! I love working at the hospital because there are actually quite a few doctors there who do magic. In fact, the IBM holds its meetings there.

Since this is my last year of high school, I've been thinking of it as my last year of (very active) modeling. If I get into the college I want to go to, there will be non-stop work, year-round. It's been tough fitting everything in lately, but I'm considering doing an upcoming Channel 3 show called "Late". My job would be to announce the bands performing on the show. Nothing is set in stone, but I might do that alongside the regular photoshoots this year.

Angela
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » Nursing homes, nervousness and confidence (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL