The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Professional tarot reading (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sue Ridler
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of Sue Ridler
There has been a lot of discussion regarding tarot cards in this section, so I hope it is appropriate to ask about professional tarot reading here.

I have been doing tarot readings for a long time and am considering doing it professionally. My question is in regards to the aspects of legal issues and logistics. Does one have to register as some kind of entertainer and/or personal business? Is this just additional income you can add on to your yearly tax return? Please keep in mind that I live in Canada but would also like to hear how it this is done globally. Overall, I just want to do this as legitimately as possible and avoid getting into trouble.

Also, how does one go about charging? For example, do you charge for cost of travel? Do you charge hourly rates at parties or by the person? I know there are many ways of handling these issues but I would like to hear about your preferences and choices that have proven to be successful for you.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
"I just want to do this as legitimately as possible and avoid getting into trouble."

Then talk to an accountant or tax lawyer and don't ask for such advice on the internet!

Regulations vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, so check out an authority in your jurisdiction.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I don't know how Canadian taxes work, but in the U.S., the income for any activity such as this is considered personal income, unless you have some kind of a legal entity, such as a corporation that your checks are made out to, and which pays you a salary.

If you are working as an entertainer, then you get paid like an entertainer. Usually, it's an hourly fee, with mileage added if the travel to the gig is more than a certain distance.

If you are working as a "reader," then the relationship is different.

If you are registered as a "minister" of some kind, then the whole tax basis would also be different. I don't know whether churches are taxed in Canada, so you would have to find out what the applicable law is.

Peter is right. This is probably not the place to ask for this kind of advice. Go to a professional.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Black Hart
View Profile
Elite user
Scottish Highlands
475 Posts

Profile of Black Hart
You will get FAR more money on an hourly basis working as a corporate entertainer doing Tarot than as a reader doing private readings.

What you do depends on your own reasons for doing this.

The two types of readings are VERY different. For example most corporate readings are about 5 minutes, even less on occasions. If someone is paying for a private reading they will expect 30 to 60 minutes of your time.

In the UK people pay £15.00 to £25.00 for a private reading. The charge to a corporate client would be 10 times that PER HOUR.

2 hours of private readings = £50.00
2 hours of corporate readings = £500.00 + expenses

You decide : )

Black Hart
Black Artefacts, manufacturer and dealer of weird, bizarre and psychic magic: www.blackhart.co.uk
Tony Razzano
View Profile
Inner circle
South River, NJ
1600 Posts

Profile of Tony Razzano
Sue,
Peter is right on the mark. Please contact an attorney or an accountant for advice on this. I am registered in NJ as a "sole proprietor" of my business and have a business account, a tax ID number, etc. All on the advice of my attorney.

As far as price goes, Blackhart is right. Corporate pays much more that individuals for readings.

For a private one on one reading, I get $100.00 for about an hour. If you can get corporate, it is MUCH more (won't discuss THAT here).

But as far as the legal issues go, please check with the professional tax law people in your area.

Best regards,
Tony Razzano
Best regards,
<BR>Tony Razzano, Past President, PEA
Winner of the PEA"s Bascom Jones and Bob Haines Awards
Sue Ridler
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of Sue Ridler
Excellent advice everyone. You're right, this is something I should go over with an accountant and/or lawyer, I just wanted to hear what other people have done.

As much as the income appeals to me, corporate readings wouldn't be as much fun and revealing for the person I am working with. I am more of a spiritual adviser LOL than an entertainer. In fact I'm a little too honest and don't shy away from the tougher issues that always seem to come up in my readings. It's one of the reasons I wasn't sure I wanted to go professional, since most people just want to have fun with it.

I will give all of this a lot of thought. You have all been so helpful, I appreciate it!
7th_Son
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
437 Posts

Profile of 7th_Son
Quote:
On 2004-07-25 05:42, Black Hart wrote:
You will get FAR more money on an hourly basis working as a corporate entertainer doing Tarot than as a reader doing private readings.

Black Hart

Mr. Hart, what is the best way of getting into the corporate tarot reading market? My guess is that getting the first few jobs would be very difficult.
"Here's to our wives and girlfriends...may they never meet!" - Groucho Marx
Sue Ridler
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of Sue Ridler
For those interested, according to a woman at the Canadian Tarot Network the rules and regulations on registering as a tarot reader depends on the city you live in. Also, income can be claimed as self-employed income/independent income.
Osiris
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of Osiris
I've been working as a Reader for just over 25-years... it's been my primary "day job" when I'm not doing shows and also serves as a great way to market other services like home parties, lectures, etc.

The advice shared is solid! Not only do I second what's been said, but because of WHO said it, give it a strong thumbs up. These are some very experienced individuals that honestly do know their stuff.

The whole "legal" thing has been of little challenge for me in that I do sell what I do as entertainment a good portion of the time. Even in Las Vegas where a very in-depth FBI background check and other factors come into play, just to get "liscensed" (it's also frightfully expensive and takes up most of a year to get there), I was able to work "as a reader" by proving to authorities when questioned (which was rare) that I was doing "magic tricks" and not straight Readings. My business card, etc. all stated that I was an ENTERTAINER that did bizarre/esoteric styled demonstrations and thus, the cards or runes, etc. were seen as "props."

Yes, this is "pushing the point" but it has kept me from having to deal with the alternative course of action. Quite frankly I don't understand how 95% of those working in Clark County, NV managed to get approval... they're some of the worse Readers I've ever encountered, filled with New Age dribble and related delusions... but then, I'm a harsh critic at times.

One last suggestion however: go to www.mental-list.com/forum and log in. This site is dedicated to the art of being a Reader and "part-time" performer. It is owned by Blair Robertson and though one particular member is known for being controversial, he's actually proven a boon to this site.

Blair is from Canada and he may be able to help you in your quest.
DrNorth
View Profile
Veteran user
North Starr Entertainment, Harrisburg PA
364 Posts

Profile of DrNorth
I have a question that has been touched on in this thread that is of cost. I am in the East Coast area, and when I did this 15 years ago, I charged $30 a half hour and $60 an hour for private one on one readings.
I fell out of it and am getting back into it, with the idea of adding private parties in home and events as well as trying for corporate gigs. I am thinking of $50 a half, $100 an hour, $150 for hour long past life regressions and $800 for private parties and $1500 for two hour corporate events each at 2-3 hours. Do these prices seem fair or am I over/under cutting myself?
Smile
"For it shows things that were, and things that are, and things that yet may be. But which it that he sees, even the wisest cannot always tell"
~Galadriel

"A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes."
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
One of the best ways to find out what people in your area are charging is to call some booking agents and tell them you are having an event. Tell them that you want to book a tarot reader, and you want to know what they charge.

You can also call some of the readers.

If it makes you uncomfortable to do this, get someone you know to do it.

You would be surprised what you can learn this way.

As an aside, I had a number of friends in the local magic club who told me they were charging huge fees. I had a friend call some of them to book them for a Christmas gig. What a bunch of LIARS!!!!!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Osiris
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of Osiris
Magicians lie?

That's unheard of!

I simply can't believe what you're saying Bill...

I thought every birthday performer was pulling in thousands a week...

Gesh! I've been wondering all these years, what I've been doing wrong and now you tell me this... I'm just completely baffled.

(OK, end of satire!)
Laughing Otter
View Profile
Loyal user
Behind you!
205 Posts

Profile of Laughing Otter
Quote:
On 2004-07-25 15:45, Sue Ridler wrote:
As much as the income appeals to me, corporate readings wouldn't be as much fun and revealing for the person I am working with.
I am more of a spiritual adviser LOL than an entertainer.
In fact I'm a little too honest and don't shy away from the tougher issues that always seem to come up in my readings.

The reasons you state for shying away from corporate gigs are the very reasons I *love* doing them.
You have to:
1) get right to the point
2) express your ideas succinctly
3) tell them what you think they need to hear/do to improve their situation
4) look up and say "next".
I find the challenge invigorating. And once you have delivered your first dead-on-tears-in-the-eyes-how-could-you-possibly-know-that hit with a querant, the buzz gets around the room quickly, and your table is the only place to be! Repeat bookings are very common with corporations, at least for me, because of this.

BTW, and no b.s. here, these are my usual rates:
Up to one hour travel time - $175 first hour, $100 each additional
One-two hours travel time - $225 first, $120 each additional
Two-three hours - $250 first, $125 each additional, plus accommodations
Over three hours - negotiated.

Though I have been known to book myself, I really do not enjoy doing it; I work almost exclusively through agencies.

Best of fortune to you, Sue!
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Osiris satirically comments: "I thought every birthday performer was pulling in thousands a week..."

When a magician says he's making a "five-figure income", he usually neglects to point out that there's a decimal point involved.

cheers,
Peter Marucci
DrNorth
View Profile
Veteran user
North Starr Entertainment, Harrisburg PA
364 Posts

Profile of DrNorth
A follow up. I have been doing readings now for three years at a Renn Faire. We used to charge a fee of $1 per minute, most readings tended to run 10 minutes. A few would come in at five minutes and we found we lost money allowing the five minute reading. It was also harder to give a decent reading in that short frame. Although when I added palmistry that works well for a five minute span, I would use that as a strolling reader, but at a flat rate for the evening.
Now this year (2006) we all start all readings at $10 with no mention of time save to say that a reading over ten minutes gets a $1 a minute fee added. ( within reason of course and at the clients request. An average reading in this setting runs 7-12 minutes and that covers the $10) No one has complained about wanting a 5 minute reading and we make more per setting and over all in a 5-8 hour day.
Smile
"For it shows things that were, and things that are, and things that yet may be. But which it that he sees, even the wisest cannot always tell"
~Galadriel

"A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Professional tarot reading (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL