The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Theme parks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

briansmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
507 Posts

Profile of briansmagic
I was wondering: how does one go about getting booked at a theme park? I have tried calling the parks before but I don't even end up w/ the oppritunity to send them my video, they always say that they use the same magician every year, they don't "do magic", they already have the shows booked, etc. How do you guys get booked at parks? I would love to hear your thoughts and advice -- thanks!
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7168 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
1. Get an Agent. They usually have the 'stones' to get through the telephone gate keepers.

2. Also approach the smaller parks...there a bazillion of them...

3. Get that resume filled up...have some excellent referrals from maybe a corporate sponsor you did a show for.

4. Approach commercial companies that are already sponsors of elements in that park like "Spin and Barf" presented by ABC Cola etc..

5. Find a company that is hiring the entire park for a day or evening for thier employees and offer to do a show at their picnic etc.

6. Watch for the Auditions...get a min wage job and work from the inside.

7. Create an act that is park type specific...ie: Water Stuff for a water park etc. Animal related for Zoos and Animal parks. (Use stuffed toys and puppets etc.)

8. Keep at it if that's what you want to do. #1 should help!

Doug
Higley's Doug's Museum
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Before you Jump into the fire, read Doug Anderson's Book, "Straight Talk about Theme Parks" It tells all about these venues.
Dennis Michael
ScottL
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of ScottL
Doug's book is probably the best out there (if you can find it. I think it's out of print). You can try to get a hold of Doug at http://www.magicdoug.com to see if anybody still carries his book.

The alternative would be to get ahold of Dean Hankey over on The Dean's List,
http://www.thedean.net . Both Dean and Doug have worked theme parks for many years.

Scott (worked for Six Flags for 13 years)
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7382 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2004-07-25 13:56, briansmagic wrote:
...they already have the shows booked, etc...

At that comment, you ask them what time of year they book their shows, and then start contacting them the next year about 4 to 6 weeks before that date, just in case they were off. I've booked many shows the next year, by asking a simple question... "When?"

- Donald.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Steve Hart
View Profile
Veteran user
Palm Bay, FL
382 Posts

Profile of Steve Hart
Most of the shows in Theme parks have a producer who is responsible to book the acts and produce the show.
First, find out who the producer is and then find out when they have their auditions.

Unless you are planning on working as a strolling atmosphere entertainer they may be auditioned by the Theme Park's Entertainment director. Again they will hold auditions.

If they are turning you away then you are speaking to the wrong person. Just ask them when they hold their audtions for entertainment.

Theme parks are a great place to work to make some fair money and also polish your skills.

It is hard work, long hours, but you can make it a rewarding part of your career in magic.

Steve Hart
www.SteveHartSpeaks.com
www.magic2motivate.com
"Motivational Magicians are some of the highest paid magicians, find out why?"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Theme parks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL