The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Clipping dove beaks, be careful 8) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicjames1
View Profile
New user
England
67 Posts

Profile of magicjames1
Two magicians were talking and one said, "I've just started practicing a
dove act and I have a problem. The dove keeps pecking at me." The other
magician replied, "That's easy to remedy. Just file her beak down a little.
It makes their beaks sensitive and she won't peck at you any more. But, be
careful. If you file down too much, she won't be able to eat and she'll
die." A week later they meet again. "How's the dove act going?" "My dove
died." "Oh no. Did you file off too much of her beak?" "I don't know. She
was dead when I took her out of the vise."

sorry- this one was irresistable

magicjames Smile
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Remedial Logic 101

The person who did that needs to be reported to the authorities and get professional help. (I know it was a joke. But I am a fundraiser for the animal shelter and we actually see things like this.)

Doves do not climb with their beaks. Mutilating (trimming) a dove's beak to prevent pecking is as ridiculous as putting their eyes out to prevent pecking. Why not just cut off the magician’s hand so he can’t feel it, if a bird pecks it? It’s just as effective and involves the correct animal.

Doves are neither parrots nor chickens. Parrots cut with their beaks and when they get chipped and gappy, they may benefit from trimming. Chickens for slaughter are debeaked to keep them from killing each other. Doves are not cannibalistic meat eaters like chickens and humans. Pecking might be a sign of good judgment. Even that goes away in time.

It is a common and tragic problem faced by animals. There is a tendency for people to inappropriately apply what they know about one group of animals to another. For some it is not a joke but a tragic reality.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Christopher
View Profile
Special user
522 Posts

Profile of Christopher
I agree. I was just giving the same speech at an animal rights BBQ last weekend.
BenSchwartz
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
499 Posts

Profile of BenSchwartz
Wow, someone took that joke too personally
"The experience of astonishment is the experience of a clear, primal state of mind that they associate with a child's state of mind." ---- Paul Harris
PyroJeffNic
View Profile
Regular user
Alberta, Canada
161 Posts

Profile of PyroJeffNic
I agree... its a joke...
retrostylemagic
magicjames1
View Profile
New user
England
67 Posts

Profile of magicjames1
Lets put the airconditioning on and chill out a bit. No room for a bit of bad humour in this place anymore!
Carron
View Profile
Special user
UK
958 Posts

Profile of Carron
Bob has got a point, and even though it is a joke it's a bit of a sensitive issue to be telling jokes on, things like that do happen as as a previous volunteer at my local animal shelter I've seen the repercussions.

Tom
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
It's also very dangerous for chickens to cross roads.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I think the joke is funny but, since many magicians treat the audiences very poorly, and its a bit of sore point for animals lover like myself, I can understand people's concern!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
The joke is very funny in the right audience. But know your audience. As a kid a couple of summers I worked a dude ranch. It was a shocker. I had never seen such stupid people. We shot horses smarter than that. (But we were also very careful about what we let the dogs eat. So we sent the dudes back to town. There was no point in making a good dog sick! You are what you eat! Who wants a retarded dog?)

Over the years I have gotten many doves to keep that were crippled by magicians who weren't ready to have doves. They believed what the other magicians that had never had doves either told them. It was cruel to the doves. Be careful who is listening to you. Make sure they know that you are joking. Keep it safe and have fun.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Clipping dove beaks, be careful 8) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL