The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magician Lingo (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

icicular
View Profile
New user
USA
75 Posts

Profile of icicular
I heard a magician friend of mine refer to a spectator who intentionally tries to mess up your tricks and routines a "snake".

Is this a common reference???

If not, what would you call those people? They are pretty snaky. I mean, I wouldn't walk up to a guitar player who was performing and start detuning his strings to see if he could still pull off the tune...

Is there any other widely used magician lingo? I've heard carnival/circus workers have a virtual lexicon.
A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B. - Fats Domino
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
Hesperia, California USA
1904 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
I call them "people who really aren't interested in watching magic and wonder why they are being forced to".

And I haven't seen many guitar people just walk up to somebody and just start playing.

As to a lexicon...no, I'm not aware of any...magicians as a whole are pretty self-centered and don't spend much time developing cool names for other people.

They do spend an inordinate amount of time labeling other magicians that are more successful than themselves.

All cynicism aside...there is no lexicon available to my knowledge, but I'm sure some of the street buskers have names as their history and practice is a little different than your typical magician. Whit Haydn may have a few things to say about this. He's our resident busker guru.

Sorry I couldn't be more help. And no comments from the peanut gallery, please. Smile
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Steve is right on the mark (no pun intended). We magicians unfortunately call someone like that a spectator and on particularly disastrous occasion... the volunteer. Yikes!
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1935 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
Victim?
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
I've never heard that term before, I would call him a "heckler"
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
It's common to call a spectator a spec, but that may only be in writing.
jsmagus
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of jsmagus
I just call them jerks. Not out loud of course!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magician Lingo (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL