The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Best place to buy Gimmicked Straitjacket? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Priest
View Profile
New user
NYC
100 Posts

Profile of Priest
I am curious about straitjacket escapes. Nothing too dangerous, just the normal "lock me in a trunk with a straitjacket on and see if I can escape" type thing. Smile Of course, add drama.

Anyway, where is the best place to buy a gimmicked straitjacket? And also, once I get it, will getting out of it be something I can figure out myself, will it come with instructions, or where should I learn this method?

Thanks,
Priest
"Funk is not something U can buy at the corner store.
It is something that U find deep within Ur Soul!"
.:The One Year Project:. .:Forums:.
The Great Zambini
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of The Great Zambini
Priest:
Somewhere in this section there is a discussion of gimmicked vs. real straitjackets.
Now a straitjacket escape would play well on the streets of the Big Apple. Of course you would need an assistant to keep an eye on your other props and tip jar!
P.S. Get to Rueben's soon!
...Simply Amazing!
THE GREAT ZAMBINI
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
The best source for straitjackets, in my opinion, is Cannon's Great Escapes (www.cannonsgreatescapes.net). Mark and Sheila have a nice selection of both gimmicked and ungimmicked jackets. There are other places out there, but this is the place I would recommend. They know their stuff!!

re: Ruebens has closed down...groups are now meeting at either Cafe Rustico or Maui Taco

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
Priest
View Profile
New user
NYC
100 Posts

Profile of Priest
So then what is the better jacket concerning ease of use (getting out) AND looking good to the audience?

GIMMICKED LEATHER & CANVAS STRAIT JACKET
or
GIMMICKED POSEY ROLLER BUCKLE STRAIT JAC......DE LOOPS
or
BONZA GIMMICKED LEATHER & CANVAS STRAIT JACKET

Could somebody who knows about these things or has had experience with any of these jackets please give me your opinion. Also, does full escape instructions come with them usually, or where can I find information on escape methods?

~Priest~
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
I agree with Margarette about Cannon', Mark & Sheila are 2 of the nicest people I have ever met.

I have the gimmicked leather & canvas jacket, which is good. But I REALLY want the Posey jacket, Mark showed it to me & it is a killer!
Sniper
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Sniper
I'm looking for a jacket with an extra wide arm hole - not the gaffed sleeve/straps.

Any suggestions?

Sn!per
Joe Marotta
View Profile
Special user
Can You Believe I Have
944 Posts

Profile of Joe Marotta
Hi Priest,

Best place to purchase a straitjacket? Cannon's is the best place, IMHO. Very good prices, and the most knowledgable and most helpful people you will ever find.

Mark has been performing S/J escapes for YEARS and he has created some excellent escape effects, including his Maximum Security S/J.

All of the jackets look good. It comes down to your personal preference.

Ask yourself this question: How many people in your audience have seen or handled a REAL jacket? Probably none, unless you are performing for a mental institution. In that case, don't do a jacket escape there! They REALLY know how to secure you in one to prevent your escape. And they will detect your gimmicked one in a heart beat (if you are using one).

Escape methods from legitimate and gimmicked jackets are taught in John Novak's "Art of Escape" Volume 4, and in David De-Val's "The Escapology Secrets of David De-Val". It's not something that you can write down one one or two sheets of paper. There's too much to consider.

You can always ask Mark Cannon for some tips when you purchase a jacket from him. As to whether or not he sends instructions, you'll have to ask him that question. You can purchase the Novak book from Mark when you order the jacket.

Hope that helped some.

Joe Marotta
"Bring me the Priest."
- Mr. Zorg in "The Fifth Element"
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Quote:
On 2002-08-06 10:26, Sniper wrote:
I'm looking for a jacket with an extra wide arm hole - not the gaffed sleeve/straps.

Any suggestions?

Sn!per

I know at one time Viking made a jacket like that. The magic store here in town had one for a while. He tried to get me to purchase it, but the main deterrent for me wast that it was an XL which would have been way too big for me! Also, the jacket I have now is fine for what I need to do!
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Sniper said...

'I'm looking for a jacket with an extra wide arm hole - not the gaffed sleeve/straps.'

David De Val used to make just that. I know because I still use the one I bought off him 4 years ago. It came with belly loops but no arm loops and the straps were all fixed. No sliding arms straps or anything. However the arms were big enough for a strong flexible person to get there arm out without much trouble. This is the escape method I used until I took up some weight training and my shoulders got a bit to big for this. The jacket was always small on me and the extra bulk just killed that gimmick Smile

Since we lost Mr De Val to cancer this year it is unlikely any more will be made however try searching UK magic suppliers to see if they have one left in stock. I cannot remember the name of the jacket however it was the cheapest one he did and it came with white webbing type straps which tied together rather than proper buckles. I had to take it to a cobbler to get some roller buckles fitted after I bought it.

Hope this helps

Duncan
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
So Im lost, no big secret...
Can the average Joe tell that is a gimmicked straight jacket?
Priest
View Profile
New user
NYC
100 Posts

Profile of Priest
From everything I've heard, read, and seen... NO. I mean, think about it. How many times have you seen a real straightjacket.

Also, the part of the jacket that it gimmicked is on the inside. The lay-person won't know the different betweeen straightjackets.

~Priest~
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
That depends Priest, I use a Gimmicked SJ for underwater work, out of every 4 shows, 1 has a "whistle blower."

There was an exposure in 1997,2000, 2002, on TV that explained the "how to" of the SJ that has keep the secret in the public.

As well it is not really inspectable. I'd suggest the Gimmick Posey with the loops. Marks gimmicking keeps it examinable for the most part.
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Hi

I have never had any problems with whistle blowers. Thats out of about 5 years and maybe 300+ escapes. My jacket is not gimmicked in the traditional way though. I have had a couple of volunteers who thought they were 'in the know', and went straight for the gimmick they thought my jacket would have. The couple of times this has happened I have gotten lots of satisfaction when they didn't find what they were looking for Smile I also ended up with very convinced audiences when the volunteer returns to his place muttering 'damn, it really is real'!

My point is that lay people tend to watch these exposure programs and assume that everyone is using the gimmick that is exposed on the show. We can use this to our advantage by simply employing a different gimmick. People like valentino can become useful to us by providing a kind of universal mis-direction, an effect which we could never achieve ourselves.

Have fun

Duncan
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Oops.. Forgot to mention.

I do not use mis-direction when the volunteer inspects the jacket. In fact I allow them total free reign to inspect the jacket as closely as they like.

Straitjackets have not been used in UK hospitals for years so it is very unlikely they would know what they are looking at/for anyway. I suspect this is the case for the vast majority of people anywhere in the world.

Duncan

My Website
Add me on facebook
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Well said and I agree, it was the conventional SJ that I was talking about. Do you use a De-Val? or some other? I have been very impressed with De-Val products until his SJ came along.

Though I have never seen one in person, after watching his video I became leery of it. Does anyone out there use one and what do you think of it compared to the conventional Bonza.

BTW SJ Guy what did you pick up from Cannon's. I thought you where totally "green" to escapes but your last post proves otherwise.

I dropped the Gimmicked SJ for underwater work last year and resorted to my specially chained ADA cuff (hey I take no risks when I'm underwater.) Care.

X
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Hi X-Treem

I use a De Val in my act. It has served me pretty well, although I did have to sew it back together and reinforce all the seams as it tore in two when I was practising with it a couple of weeks after I got it.

I am not sure what it was called when I got it but it was the cheapest one he did.

X-Treem...You Said...

'BTW SJ Guy what did you pick up from Cannon's.'

An ungimmicked Posey with friction buckles, a pickable padlock, a book and vid on straitjacket escapes and the handcuff training kit.

I haven't actually placed the order yet as I am still pondering over a few things. I am trying to see how far I can stretch my overdraft.

X-Treem...You Said...

" thought you where totally "green" to escapes but your last post proves otherwise."

I am pretty green, at least about the technical side of escapes. What I know plenty about is performing and the way audiences behave.

Duncan

My Website
Add me on facebook
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
The De-Val SJ that I saw was called Supreme SJ Sensation, by the looks of the one on the video and the description you gave of yours, they may be one in the same.

The HTMK is a must have! I am glad you are thinking about ordering it. I am kind of obsessed with book collecting right now, yesterday I ordered the two new McColl books, Steve Santini's Concealments:Hiding The Tools Of The Escape Artist's Trade and Jay Leslie's video on the jail cell escape he did. All told it cost a pretty penny.

I was some what confused as you stated that you were new, but have done the SJ over 300 times. That is why I ask your skill level.

Take care bro,
X
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Hi X-Treem

I have placed my order with Cannons.. eeeeeek.. I have again spent money I don't have.

The final list is:

The Posey Regulation Strait Jacket, (friction buckles),large.

Master #21 Spirit Padlock.

Handcuff Manipulation Training Kit.

John Novacs book, The mail bag escape.

Steel shim.

Thats a lot I have to learn. I am putting together a one hour sideshow act (Lots of nails, glass, fire and other fun stuff) for stage with someone else and we want to include a fair bit of escapology in the show so the above list is a big part of that process.

Wish me luck. Now all I have to do is wait very impatiently for the parcel to arrive. Actually, I have to have two weeks off any strenuous use of my right shoulder as I have just had some treatment to a pretty nasty injury I suffered a while back. I had steroid injections and if they don't work I will need surgery. So it is probably better I don't have a real straitjacket to play with right now Smile

Have fun

Duncan

My Website
Add me on facebook
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Honestly, given the Side Show act you want to build, all you needed it 100 feet of rope for the escape segment. It looks and real to the spectators and no one will ever accuse you of using fake rope! Plus, if you are building an hour show, bed of nails, block breaking (while laying on the bed of nails), glass walking/dancing, fire eating, and maybe a sword ladder, and you don’t have much time left for escapes! Unless you plan to rush through your stunts and not build the tension for the audience.

I think that you could build almost an hour show with the escape paraphernalia you just ordered.

I say go for it! And good luck!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Hi Mumblepeas.

Thanks for the words of encouragment. Apart from the rope and the sword ladder I had already noted the other stuff down as possible inclusions in the show. We are really looking to put a good two hours of material under our belts and then strip the show down to its very best stuff. I also want to learn, well, everything! And 'buying it for the show' is my best excuse.

I thought about the ladder of swords a while back and was halted by my fear of having my calves hacked off. I don't know much about the stunt but I hear it is a very real risk.

I currently use a lot of acrobatic stunts in my act, including diving through a very narrow hoop of fire and tightrope walking, but there is a limit to how long my body will tolerate the damage it keeps getting. So learning about escapes is part of my wonderful plan to always have a living.

Duncan

My Website
Add me on facebook
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Best place to buy Gimmicked Straitjacket? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL