The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Getting back in - Some Advice Please? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ditti80
View Profile
New user
New York - Long Island
46 Posts

Profile of ditti80
Hello,

I really stopped practicing magic around 7 months ago. Before that I was practicing card magic on a daily basis for about 6months. I now have the urge to get back into it and need some guidance. Card magic is what really interests me. Before I stopped, I knew a fair amount of techniques and tricks pretty well. However, my mistake last time was trying to learn too much in a short span. Here is my current scenario:

Work long hours and don't have hours a day to practice(maybe 1/2 hr a day)/ Would like to be able to perform 3 card tricks and the techniques associated with these tricks flawlessly. 3 card tricks that differ in routine and effect. Can anyone give me three card tricks I "must" learn first or any other advice.

These are the books I currently own if this helps:

Impossibilia/ Smoke and Mirrors/ Carneycopia/ Stars of Magic/ CC1/ AOA Vol1/ TRGTCM

Videos: ETMCM 1&2

Thanks.
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
You have some great references. I would say choose a piece with a quick and clear effect. Then choose something that has a more complicated plot, maybe a story piece or a multiple phase routine. Finally, work with a routine with a strong kicker or two. Beside giving you three great routines to work with, you will have a formatted 8 to 10 minute act.
JCaelum
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of JCaelum
I think you should definitely pick up an ACR routine for one of those tricks. great thing about an ACR routine is you can customize to contain the sleights you are comfortable with. since you have AOA maybe get good at reset or bizarre twist (sorry if those aren't in vol. 1, havent read them in awhile).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Getting back in - Some Advice Please? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL