The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » RNT II Monti Cups (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
During the 1970's Harry Monti designed a set of cups that were very popular with "workers." These were called the Monti Cups, and their design has been knocked off almost as much as the Paul Fox design.

I own a set of chrome-plated steel Monti cups from that era. They are tough as nails, and are a delight to handle.

When I got the shipment of cups from Mike today, I opened the bag with the Monti cups, and I was surprised at how close they were to the originals. Side by side, they look the same. The weight is also the same. However, it is very easy to tell them apart. Rings and Things did not make any stainless steel cups. And these new RNT II Monti cups are stainless steel.

They come with a drawstring bag, four crocheted balls and a book with Ron Bauer's routine for the cups and balls.

This is an excellent buy. The price -- $200.00 makes it even more reasonable.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
John Cass
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of John Cass
I saw these cups when I was over at Bill's last Saturday. Side by side, the old Monti cups and the new Stainless ones look almost exactly alike. They feel the same. And they hod a lacrosse ball perfectly.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Yes, Mike Brazill has taken great pains with these. The cups are within 5 thousandths of an inch of each other.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
tdowell
View Profile
Inner circle
1079 Posts

Profile of tdowell
Stainless are beautiful. I love em! GO RNT II!!!!!
geemack
View Profile
Loyal user
Greg McNeil Peoria,Illinois
294 Posts

Profile of geemack
The RnTII stainless steel Monti Cups are certainly some of the best magicians' cups currently being manufactured. They are perfect reincarnations of the original RnT Monti Cups from the 70's.

The consistency from cup to cup is excellent. The cups stack cleanly with just enough looseness to allow for smooth handling. The rims are well rolled, not quite as tight to the body as many other cups, but stainless steel is probably more difficult to roll than the softer metals used in most of today's high-end cups. The inside surfaces have a nice brushed finish. The outsides are shiny and beautifully polished. They look like chrome. Being stainless, an occasional washing with regular dish soap and water should be all the maintenance required to keep these cups looking great.

The cups weigh a fraction less than four ounces each, making them slightly lighter than the original copper Monti's. Copper, of course, is a heavier metal than stainless, but steel is much harder, so these should prove to be more durable against dents and scratches. They are still robust enough to feel good in the hands and provide clean, sure handling.

They are almost exactly 3 inches tall and 3 inches wide. The mouth is a bit over 2-1/2 inches and allows for a variety of final loads up to, but not quite the size of a regulation tennis ball. (I found some practice tennis balls that are -just- barely smaller than regulation and actually do fit these cups!) The walls have a gentle curve that is not only pleasing to the eye, but allows for smooth execution of the slide-off type cup moves. The concave on the bottom of an overturned cup will easily hold three 7/8 inch balls, either the crocheted ones that come with the set, or the popular Mike Rogers mini baseballs. The same three balls will fit cleanly in the attic as well.

The set includes a well made, red corduroy drawstring bag. Embroidered in black are the words "RnT II Monti Cups". Four balls come with the set. They are 7/8 inch with red crocheted coverings, probably over cork, and very tightly stitched. Also included is a copy of Ron Bauer's "Basic Cups & Balls Technique". I have not read the routine, but the illustrations are very well done. Given the standard of quality I've seen in other RnT and RnTII products, I imagine the material in the booklet is top notch.

The only other cups currently in the price range of the Monti's may be the brass Johnson's, which are also excellent cups. It might be a hard call to make, but for the $200 price tag there may not be a better built, better designed, more usable, or more attractive cup than these stainless steel RnTII Monti Cups.

Greg
geemack
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of geemack
A small correction to my review posted above:

The balls that come with the RnTII Monti Cups are actually a bit larger than one inch. Three of these balls will not fit between the cups when stacked. They are excellent balls with tightly crocheted coverings, but might be considered just a bit too large for the size of the cups. Moves that require two or three balls to be held in the attic would not work very well with the balls that accompany the cup set.

When I started working with my new Monti's I was using a set of 7/8 inch Morrissey crocheted balls. These may be a more appropriate ball to use if you are going to perform with these cups. The Mike Rogers 7/8 inch mini baseballs also work great with the Monti Cups.

Greg
geemack
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of geemack
Another update:

This evening I had an opportunity to talk with Jacob from RnTII. I mentioned the 1 inch balls that came with my Monti's. He said they have taken care of that issue and from now on the crocheted balls that ship with the Monti cups should be 7/8 inches. This will allow three balls to fit comfortably in the attic.

Jacob also mentioned some ideas they have on the drawing board. If you like quality magic apparatus (and who doesn't?) keep watching these RnTII guys for some interesting developments. Smile

Greg
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » RNT II Monti Cups (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL