The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » "Magical" business cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1147 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Any thoughts on handing out your biz cards "magically"? In flames, or floating out of your wallet, or "oops, the printer seems to have left this one blank, I'll print it myself by magic", or whatever.

I'm inclined to think - wrongly perhaps - that this kind of thing would just annoy somebody who was seriously interested in getting my card for the purpose of contacting me in the future.

Or would it?
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I'm sorry for this...it's probably well known by now but back in the early 60's I made up a bunch of cards...the front was

3 sketches of different types of noses and said simply CHOOSE ONE

the back said...

Now That You Picked Your Nose
PICK A CARD!
(then it had my phone number etc.)


I know...I know...terrible and corny but it worked for kids parties etc.

Now back to the REAL posts and answers.

Doug
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
TheTopBanana
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of TheTopBanana
I general...yes, it would annoy them...
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
Hesperia, California USA
1904 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
I do a couple of effects that leave my business card in their hands with evidence of the effect, if the opportunity presents itself. Otherwise I just hand them out.
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1147 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
If the business card is integral to an effect, that I think is OK - creating a magic square with their lucky number on the back of the card, for example, and then of course you give them the card. That's cool.

But making the production of a business card an effect in and of itself ("Whoosh! Presto!") - that I do not personally care for much.

But if anyone has found that approach effective, I'd be interested to hear about it.
TheTopBanana
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of TheTopBanana
Now, if when they ask for a card you say "don't worry about it I already made one appear in your wallet" That might work....
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2755 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
There was a trick in a magazine where you would palm your card, ask for theirs and (if theirs had the same format as yours) switch cards, hold (your) card up to their head level (not letting them see the card) claiming you want to "link the name with the face." and then give them back the card which has been "magically" changed to your card.

I would prefer to ask for their card, put it over mine in the palm, take a pen and pretend to write my phone number on it. Slide _my_ card out from behind theirs, slip their card into my pocket along with the pen and hand them what they think is their card with my number written on it and if fact it's my card!
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Evan Williams
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of Evan Williams
I know a guy that used to have his information printed on the backs of playing cards. He would then go to hand them what looked like a regular face-up playing card. As they reached for it he would backpalm it making it vanish, and then reproduce it showing his information side of the card. Pretty simple way but it worked well for him!

Evan
AlmostAmazingJames
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of AlmostAmazingJames
My magic mentor's business card looked like a corner was folded back and beneath it you could see a corner of the queen of hearts. He would force that card and then pretend to peel the corner. Then he would let the spectator keep the card. He booked a lot of shows from that.
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
I think if someone just wants a card, just give them one, but if you are showing someone a trick or two, find a way to leave your card with them.

I have a little folder on the table when I am doing my last effect. I open it and they can see my cards.

I say "This last trick is so cool, that I know you will want my card after" and I do Peter Marucci's Card to Wallet, producing the signed playing card from under the stack of business cards and generally they do ask for one.

Thanks Peter!
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2755 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2004-08-05 09:25, mandrake01 wrote:
There was a trick in a magazine where you would palm your card, ask for theirs and (if theirs had the same format as yours) switch cards, hold (your) card up to their head level (not letting them see the card) claiming you want to "link the name with the face." and then give them back the card which has been "magically" changed to your card.

I would prefer to ask for their card, put it over mine in the palm, take a pen and pretend to write my phone number on it. Slide _my_ card out from behind theirs, slip their card into my pocket along with the pen and hand them what they think is their card with my number written on it and if fact it's my card!


Sorry, I wasn't clear that in the original instructions you were expected to toss their card over their shoulder in the switch. I would prefer to switch cards, palming theirs and then slip it into a pocket while "trying to find a pen."
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3448 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On 2004-07-29 17:19, cheesewrestler wrote:
Any thoughts on handing out your biz cards "magically"? In flames, or floating out of your wallet, or "oops, the printer seems to have left this one blank, I'll print it myself by magic", or whatever.

I'm inclined to think - wrongly perhaps - that this kind of thing would just annoy somebody who was seriously interested in getting my card for the purpose of contacting me in the future.

Or would it?


I tried the flaming card but was not impressed. I have only used it twice. I have tried other methods and each of them have their limitations. If you have your business cards printed with raised letters there is a card switch that works well like rough and smooth.

Quote:
On 2004-07-29 18:00, darkrider wrote:
I'm sorry for this...it's probably well known by now but back in the early 60's I made up a bunch of cards...the front was

3 sketches of different types of noses and said simply CHOOSE ONE

the back said...

Now That You Picked Your Nose
PICK A CARD!
(then it had my phone number etc.)


I know...I know...terrible and corny but it worked for kids parties etc.

Now back to the REAL posts and answers.

Doug


Corny but very funny. Do you mind if I use that too?

Quote:
On 2004-07-29 17:19, cheesewrestler wrote:
Any thoughts on handing out your biz cards "magically"? In flames, or floating out of your wallet, or "oops, the printer seems to have left this one blank, I'll print it myself by magic", or whatever.

I'm inclined to think - wrongly perhaps - that this kind of thing would just annoy somebody who was seriously interested in getting my card for the purpose of contacting me in the future.

Or would it?


Create your card into a version of "out to lunch" and let them keep the effect. I did that with a Gospel theme and many persons take it home and place it on their mirror or someplace where they can be reminded of the minor miracle they witnessed.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2439 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Just received Michael Ammar's *Easy to Master Business Card Miracles* and can recommend it. I plan on rotating several of the routines every week at the Pizza Hut where I perform.
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7435 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Bill Anderson also has a DVD about magic tricks that put your business card into your customers hands. This is a pretty new release.

Promotional Magic by Bill Anderson.

- Donald.

P.S. I've not seen this product, but I know about it because I know Bill. One of his specialties is restaurant magic.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Flec
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, UK
585 Posts

Profile of Flec
Stating the obvious, and echoing mormonyoyoman, go buy Michael Ammars tape. it gives you 25 tricks (i tihnk), some of which are quick hand out style, and the others are routines tricks. well worth the money, if you don't use the tricks with business cards, you can always use them with actual playing cards themselves.
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1147 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
It's not really effects that use biz cards in a (sort of, at least) logical way that I was wondering about, though. Writing a selected card prediction on the back of one, for instance, that's great, gives them a reason to keep your card.

It was effects where the card production itself is the effect I was questioning. I think they'd be inappropriate, even offputting to someone who's asked for your card with a view to maybe hiring you. Just wondered if anyone had experienced otherwise.
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
I do the same as Steven Steele. A card with a story behind it will probably be held onto longer.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Steve Dela
View Profile
Special user
U.K. London
961 Posts

Profile of Steve Dela
Wow, there really are loads of ways to hand out a card!
I use tricks! I do a lot with my Stealth wallet! http://www.alakazam.co.uk
This way every time I perform with it I have handed out 2 business cards! Also, just write predictions on the back and force that card, etc.
I know it sounds simple, but they see the effect not the working!
Another thing I do is hole punch a corner of the card and attach 2 elastic bands through it...

Bring it out and say... I often ask people what they think this is? ...most people say; it look's like a luggage lable, but it is, in fact, my business card and I use this for carrying the smallest trick I do!

I then proceed to take the bands off and do crazy mans handcuffs! After, they are left with the bands and the cards.

In Magic
Steve Dela
http://stevedela.com
Associate Member of the Inner Magic Circle
FFFF
joeKing
View Profile
Special user
United States
979 Posts

Profile of joeKing
Wow...No one has mentioned Michael Close's Pot Hole Trick...In essence its a trick that uses the back of your business card where you are magically moving holes (pot holes) from the front of your house to the spectators described house...This is really vagur but it is probably one of the stongest tricks I do, and honestly gets 90% of my business.
~joeKing
01tureckm
View Profile
New user
UK
72 Posts

Profile of 01tureckm
I think so to even though this can be used with hollow!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » "Magical" business cards (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL