The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Lights...camera...action! » » DV CAMERAS FOR DVD PRO (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jaystyles
View Profile
New user
San DIego, Ca
28 Posts

Profile of jaystyles
Do you guys if Mini Dv cameras work great for a dvd production? Im using a CANON ZR 60 and was wondering if it would work great for a dvd production?
the levitator
View Profile
Special user
Spellbound Productions
546 Posts

Profile of the levitator
I think mini-DV is a great format! I have 2 Canon XL1's and they give a broadcast quality video. I think the ZR60 is also a great camera and you will get a great DVD quality video from it. I don't believe it's a 3 chip camera, but at over 350,000 pixels, the picture should be great. Just remember that lighting is everything.

I'm curious to know what editing software you use. I use Vegas Video 5. I also have a live set up for live event videography with a 4 channel digital mixer, the titlemaker and monitors, etc. I have used that mostly for a race track in our area. I've been doing videoraphy on the side for a couple of years and it's fast becoming a second passion! I'd love to hear your set up, and anyone else out there doing any videography.

On a side note, if anyone hasn't told you yet, don't use the digital zoom for anything you are putting on DVD. It almost always ends up looking horrible. Digital zoom is only a digital enlargement of the pixels. It ends up looking choppy and well, pixelated! Smile
"It's all in your head...."

James Anthony
www.jamesanthonymagic.com
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
Mini DV Cams are good for regular daylight with UV filters. Not so good in low light conditions. For family and travel the portability can't be beat. You should also consider cameras that allow you to change lenses for different setups.
If you want the movie to look as close to film possible, in the consumer category, consider the Panasonic (Model # ?) that allows you to shot at 24 fps. The picture looks great and a shotgun mic does a fair job to boot.

Action!
Kregg

P.S.
The Panasonic is DVX100.

Kregg
POOF!
jaystyles
View Profile
New user
San DIego, Ca
28 Posts

Profile of jaystyles
ERRRR I just wrote a hugh post on here but my Explorer got jacked up.... Back to the beginning.

Well thanks guys for your promt response. I was thinking about maybe renting a Canon XL1 or something of high quality but I think my DV camera would do good. Its just all about the lighting.

I got a film shoot going on tomorrow for one of the DVD's Ill be producing. Starting up my own Magic Product line thanks to some of our fellow magicians on this board. Im glad the dv camera will work great. Hmm I might need a mic huh?

Levitator we definatly need to talk! I can use your help if you are willing to teach. I just got into video editing and I think I learned quick. Im a real fast learner shoot I started learning web design in 2 weeks and now run a web hosting company. To answer your question on the programs I use are, Hollywood FX pro, Pinnacle Studio 9, Pinnacle Encore, ULEAD DVD WORKSHOP, Sonic Dvd producer. If you need any let me know. I put it on ftp from one of my servers avl for download.

I can use some help on editing. I got everything else setup. I talked to tim trono from murphys and he is definatly interested in purchasing once I product the dvd. New Magic Product line. Im excited. Wish me Luck guys. I hope my Camera is up for the challenge.

Regards, Jay

Prompt
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
Jay,
If Avid is not available, I like Final Cut Pro.
Make friends with an editor in your area. Using their editing studio after midnight is a great way to save money.
UCLA has a great film school and students often need projects.
For future shoots check into the Panasonic (DVX100), it really looks great (for video).

Best wishes on your shoot,
Kregg
POOF!
jaystyles
View Profile
New user
San DIego, Ca
28 Posts

Profile of jaystyles
Kregg,

Thanks for the response and the tip. Hmm UCLA I might just have to go check them out and see if someone wants to take on this project but I think I can handle it myself I got a hold of MadTad Producer of the Tony Clark videos and many others he gave me some suggestions as well. Wish me luck and Im off!!

Magically, Jay Styles
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Lights...camera...action! » » DV CAMERAS FOR DVD PRO (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL