The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Which book...? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TheGreatDane
View Profile
Regular user
White Plains, NY
183 Posts

Profile of TheGreatDane
Alright, I kind of have a feeling about how you guys are gonna respond to this one...but I value your opinions so here's my question:

For my next magic book buy, I'm deciding between Revolutionary Card Technique (Marlo), and Drawing Room Deceptions (Hollingworth). I'm also considering either of the Derren Brown books (Pure Effect or Absolute Magic), though I know less about the latter two and am therefore thinking on holding off until I research them further. What are your opinions? If it helps, the Marlo book goes for $50, while the others retail for about $40. Thanks as always!

~Zach
"I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of stars makes me dream." ~Vincent Van Gogh
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
What are you looking for in a book? All four are excellent books, but serve different purposes.

RCT is a great reference for advanced sleight of hand.
Drawing Room Deceptions has some great effects.
Pure Effect is a mix of magic theory and effects.
Absolute Magic is all theory.

All four books will likely have something of interest. But where your current interest lies will probably dictate what you'll get out of each one. Knowing more about what you're looking for will help me make a better recommendation.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
Kevin Ram
View Profile
Special user
Travelling through Europe
791 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ram
Does it have to be those books.The hollingworth book has good effects but some have angle problems.

I liked it but there are others which I favour more.

The marlo book is great for technique but I have never been a fan of the card effects of marlos.

I don't have the DB books so I cant really comment.IMO, if a big name released a book I would be carefull as it might sell very well,but his fame could help that.

Again I don't have the DB books.they might be great but bare that in mind.I'm sure others would be more helpfull with his books.

Have you thought about the Larry jennings book'The classic magic of Larry jennings.SO MUCH good stuff.

In fact there has just been a thread about LJ so check out other peoples comments.

Hope this helps Smile

Kukram
"Your the Italian stallion" As said by my g/friend
Josh Allens
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia
188 Posts

Profile of Josh Allens
The only one I have is Drawing Room Deceptions. It has some very good material. It teaches his torn and restored card, Reformation. Which is a very good signed Torn and restored.
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
I loved marlo's book. enough stuff in there for years spent on a desert island Smile
KARDMECHANIC
View Profile
Regular user
Perris, California
105 Posts

Profile of KARDMECHANIC
I would go with Marlo's RCT book.
What do you mean it came from the bottom of the deck?
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
I'm going to recommend the Derren Brown books. 'Absolute Magic' is all theory and similar to Darwin Ortiz's 'Strong Magic'. However, Derren Brown's wicked sense of humour comes through in his book - and makes it a very entertaining read.

'Pure Effect' contains a mixture of theory, card effects and mindreading. All of the effects are excellent and include the famous 'Smoke'. There are also two very effective 'mental'card forces. Some of the tricks are also shown on his video - which is also excellent.
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
TheGreatDane
View Profile
Regular user
White Plains, NY
183 Posts

Profile of TheGreatDane
Thanks guys -- always a pleasure with the people here on the Café!
"I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of stars makes me dream." ~Vincent Van Gogh
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Which book...? (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL