The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Back palming cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

stannmaple
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of stannmaple
I'm having trouble with my back palm pivot. I can back palm a few more than 15 cards at a time and produce them one at time until I reach the last 5 or 6 and produce those in a fan. I can almost smoothly do the pivot with just one card (using my thumb) but when I get the stack of cards, the just slide. A local magician friend of mine can backpalm and show his hand front and back, produce a few cards, front and back, produce more, front and back and then the final production and it is really amazing looking. He told me that he's learned to do it without the use of his thumb. If this is exposure, please edit, or pm me. Thanks for any help.
Kevin Ram
View Profile
Special user
Travelling through Europe
791 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ram
Its just about practice.The more you practice the better you will get.

There is some great backpalming material in the Arthur Buckley book 'Card control' .The book is really cheap and on amazon I think.It shows you how to do the pivot whilst holding cards so the pivot will be more invisible.

That book is a must.

The without thumb method is in the book.
"Your the Italian stallion" As said by my g/friend
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
It is worth asking... Why would you do the pivot move while in the middle of manipulation?

I have also recently been in the same situation you have described. A few experienced card manipulators told me that they only used the pivot move when opening their production sequence.

This advice was not intended to shirk practicing the pivot move, but rather identifying when it can and should be best utilized. I understood their point and rethought my manipulation sequence.

If you have the means, video yourself and have it evaluated. There are some fantastic manipulators here that I sent my video to and they were extremely helpful in my own manipulations, including the pivot move, which was one of my main concerns.
Kevin Ram
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ram
When I used to practice backpalming (many yrs ago) I only did the pivot under cover of other cards.They wont get a flash then.
stannmaple
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of stannmaple
Does anyone else have this problem with the cards sliding when using more than one card (the use of my thumb makes it slide.) The book I have doesn't teach the method without the thumb and doesn't really go into great detail about it. Perhaps I'm using a bad technique.
Tielie
View Profile
Special user
749 Posts

Profile of Tielie
One on one, backpalming and producing get quite strong reactions, in my opinion and experience.
Deal cards, not drugs!
Kevin Ram
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ram
Its all down to practice.Backpalming is difficult.

All magic you have to watch your angles.

There are many different situations for card manipulation.

Jeff sheridan is a well known and 'REAL' street magician.He uses backpalming and other card manipulation.

He has videos out as does jeff McBride.The McBride tapes are the ones to get if your serious about Backpalming.If you want to do it on the street look at Sheridians stuff.

There are many other styles of palming,Back<front e.t.c.Mcbride teaches many productions.

Get his tapes'The art of card manipulation'

Kukram
stannmaple
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of stannmaple
What is the best Jeff McBride video to get first? Does he go into backpalming extensively. Thanks for the help.
Dann
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
I have both sets of videos- McBride and Sheridan. While both are valuable assets to anyone undertaking card manipulations, I personally found Sheridan's dvd to be more beneficial.

However, I already had a background from initially learning from a Tarbell book as well as a mentor and the McBride dvd's when I bought Jeff Sheridan's dvd.

McBride's dvd's do indeed carry "more" information about productions, what cards to use- or how to break 'em, and performance. In all, I highly recommend both sets. But again, I found Jeff Sheridan's instruction more fitting to my learning style.
Kevin Ram
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ram
Quote:
On 2004-08-01 16:46, stannmaple wrote:
What is the best Jeff McBride video to get first? Does he go into backpalming extensively. Thanks for the help.
Dann

Yes he does.

Vol 1 gives a single card vanish and reproduction with the back palm.

Vol 2 goes more indepth.

Kukram
stannmaple
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of stannmaple
Sounds like number 2 is what I want then. I can already do a single back palm and reproduction as well as back palming a stack of cards and producing them one at a time or in a fan, I just can't get the pivot with multiple cards. Would this video help? How many volumes are there? Thanks
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
Quote:
On 2004-08-01 22:42, stannmaple wrote:
I just can't get the pivot with multiple cards. Would this video help? How many volumes are there? Thanks

Again, think of reason to do so. Why would you do the pivot move extraneously with a large stock of cards? Smile

For my manipulation, the only time a pivot move is done with a large stock of cards is at the very beginning of the opening sequence. The cards start in the palm, subtley the spectators see the back of the hand "clean," then I pivot the cards to backpalm when the body naturally turns and raises the hand to start pulling cards from out of nowhere. (Thanks Larry Barnowsky)

There are 3 volumes of the McBride series. I'd say there are all worth getting.
stannmaple
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of stannmaple
Thanks for the advice. I think I'd like to get better at the backpalm pivot just for the sake of being able to do it- just for practice sake. It does make sense however, to start with the cards in your palm, then transfer them to back palm (which I can do- it's the back to front I have problems with) Thanks very much for the advice.
yanyak5
View Profile
Regular user
Delaware
186 Posts

Profile of yanyak5
Go with the McBride tapes. Try this: Instead of using your thumb, use the base of your thumb. This may help a bit.
stannmaple
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of stannmaple
Thanks for the advice. The use of the base of my thumb will probably help my pivot with one card. With multiple cards, however it is the sencond and ring finger that always seems to slide those cards. Again, probably I'm just using the wrong technique and I should get those McBride videos. I'm definately going to check them out.
yanyak5
View Profile
Regular user
Delaware
186 Posts

Profile of yanyak5
I see what your doing. This happened to me as well. Try this:

When you backpalm the card, move the cards down further towards the nails of your fingers. Back palm them by holding the cards with the tips of the fingers. Let the rest of the cards lie against the back of your hand. Then try the pivot. See if this helps.
stannmaple
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of stannmaple
What do ya know, that DOES help!!! Thanks so much. I'm now having a problem however with the cards being too far up, so they are showing between my pinky and ring finger when the back of my hand is toward the audience. This is not as major of a thing as the cards sliding was though. I may just have to play with it a bit. Thanks so much!
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
Stan,
Try learning the pivot without turning your hand. Also, find a way to warm up and stretch your hands.
Baseball player's add weight to their bat when on deck. Practice with the full deck, squeezing the deck inwards. After a crease forms in the deck, turn it over and add one card at a time until you lose you grip. The goal is to do singles with the entire deck.
A fifteen minute workout is enough, don't push it.

Practice makes progress,
Kregg
POOF!
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
Quote:
On 2004-08-03 12:51, stannmaple wrote:
I'm now having a problem however with the cards being too far up, so they are showing between my pinky and ring finger when the back of my hand is toward the audience.

You are only seeing this because it is within 3 feet of your face. Most audiences will not have vision that sharp. If you are working with a stock of 10 or more cards, you will see them, your "appropriate for the routine" audience will not.
yanyak5
View Profile
Regular user
Delaware
186 Posts

Profile of yanyak5
Jwilder said it! Remember to use flesh colored cards or red backed cards without borders. Any time cards are back palmed, you should remember 2 things: 1.) your hand should always be moving. This will make the red backed or flesh backed cards appear to blen into your hand. OR 2.) Anytime cards are backpalmed, a card,silk, or even the body should be in front of the hand so it can block the cards behind which are being backpalmed.

These are 2 key points you should always remember when practicing. If you have lets say 2 cards backpalmed, you may be able to get buy without these rules. Remember to keep practicing. It takes many many years to get this stuff (card manipulation) down pat.

I would buy the first volume of Jeff's Video. You can probably find it for about $20 on ebay or magicauction.com Study this video then move on to the next.

PLEASE keep practicing, and NEVER practice in public!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Back palming cards (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL