The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Manipulation Candles (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicofjohn
View Profile
New user
UK
11 Posts

Profile of magicofjohn
I was looking at a set of manipulation candles, anyone have any advice- are they any good, worth buying, do they look good etc. I would be very greatful.

John
bojanbarisic
View Profile
Elite user
Croatia
459 Posts

Profile of bojanbarisic
What kind of candles you are looking for ?
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
Fantasio ?
magicofjohn
View Profile
New user
UK
11 Posts

Profile of magicofjohn
I have seen some candles on a website. It's a multiplying billard ball act but with candles. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with such a prop. I guessing it is like the Indian made billard ball idea where all are one, but as its open forum I won't go any further.
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1147 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
You'll need well made ones to do the effect justice. Not the cheap kind. You might try Davenport's over there, or Owen Magic Supreme in California.
magicofjohn
View Profile
New user
UK
11 Posts

Profile of magicofjohn
I've just never seen anyone use it so I though maybe it doesn't look so good or they are cheap but I'm not sure whether to buy them and put them in my classical routine.
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
Lance Burton used them in his act circa 1980. I believe he used Owen Magic's set.

Kregg
POOF!
stephenbanning
View Profile
Regular user
United States
178 Posts

Profile of stephenbanning
Hi John,

A lot of magicians used to get their pictures taken with them. They are very pretty. Some sets cannot be used without dim lighting and distance, i.e. stage. These can be altered so that the grip is not as sure, but are useable more close up. Still, distance isn't a bad idea to conceal gimmick, the nature of the "candles", the wicks, etc. I haven't seen any on sale in a while, but when I have seen them, they weren't exorbitant.

Steve
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi John:

Mephisto-Huis in Belgium is now making the Magic Hands multiplying candles. They are very well made and are the type where you go from one to four candles all in the same hand; you cannot transfer the candles from hand to hand like with the old Lloyd style. But, I think that's what you're after anyway.

I'm not sure what Mephisto-Huis website is, but I know they have one.

Ron
Philipp K
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
229 Posts

Profile of Philipp K
Ron ,
if you ever find out the site , please let me know .
I have to talk about some upcoming things with Mephisto-Huis .

Cheers ,
Philipp
Doc Brown : If you put your mind to it , you can accomplish anything .
magicofjohn
View Profile
New user
UK
11 Posts

Profile of magicofjohn
Thanks for all your help, I have some on Owens, they look really nice, I can't find a price on them though. I have also seen some on Shaun Yee, don't know what they are like but they are about $40-50 and I have seen some on Daytona Magic that look cheaper but I am not sure what quality they are. Anymore advice would be appreciated, is there any video footage of them in use?
John
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Philipp:

I found the site. It is http://www.mephisto-magic.com

Ron
silking
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of silking
Stay away from the candles made in India. They are poor in quality and just plain BAD.

Silking
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I had a beautiful set of George Hammerton made candles (much like Morgan's Nesto Candles from Magic Inc. but taller) but the trick was so easy to do I felt guilty doing it and never put it into the act.

The Loyd-design (used by Fred Kaps) is now available from Owen Magic and I highly recommend this set. It takes some manipulative skill, but not too much, and is most deceptive and offers more variety in the moves.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
bojanbarisic
View Profile
Elite user
Croatia
459 Posts

Profile of bojanbarisic
Sony from Belgrade makes some of the best candles. I have 5 of them and all of them are same size. You can order flame through silk (magnetic) candle which is much better then Kaps, Cooper version and candles for production and vanishes. They all look the same and are rather cheap ( ca. $ 20.00 ). I can send you his address and tel. number or you can ask Fantasio if he still has any from his last order.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24274 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
You have to e-mail or phone Owens to find out the price of most of their items. They do a run of an item, and then the next time they make it, they increase the cost slightly.

But their products are the highest quality, and you get what you pay for.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7408 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Tim Starr also made a very good set of the Lloyd style candles if you can find a set. I have a set but not really interested in part with them right now.

But they do take more work than the Morgan style to use. Practice over a bed or soft cloth until you get used to them to save the paint.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Manipulation Candles (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL