The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Practicing and mirrors (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chimp
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Chimp
Do you guys usually practice in front of a mirror? Do you stand or sit? Do you always try to "perform" or do you just grind through the practice?
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
I use my webcam so I can record my "performance" and review it later to fix any misdirection or anything that needs to be added or taken out Smile just be yourself and you'll Soar ! Smile
dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
Naval Air Facility, Atsugi, Japan
1158 Posts

Profile of dynamiteassasin
I use a mirror always. It helps a lot. Through a mirror you can see your mistakes and correct it. A webcam is good to check out your sleights and routines.
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
I used to use a mirror and then I cottoned on to soemthing Jeff McBride said. I cant remember his words but it was soemthign along the lines of: in a morror you only see a relection and inversion of what yoiu are dsoing, you do not get to see what the spectator sees. If you go and record yourself performing then you can put 100% into performign, without havign to get sneaky glances at what it looks like) and then look back at the show as a spectator would see it. This is more realistic I would say. Also, this way you are able to make notes as you watch.

Kennedy
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
You might not get a perfect spectators-eye view, but you also only get one angle with a video/digital camera.

I think the best way to go is to grind through the early practice with a mirror and then check the finer points later with a video camera (if you have access to one).

It's by no means essential to film yourself, but I think it is essential to practice with a mirror. Video has only really come in as an option in the recent past. There are (and have been in the past) plenty of first-class magicians who haven't filmed themselves.
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
Bill Thomas
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of Bill Thomas
I agree - start with a mirror, see that you have no window's between your fingers etc.... After you feel you have the mechanics down then start video taping yourself. I think video is better later on and at that point you can give up the mirror - more or less.

Bill
Chimp
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Chimp
Thanks for the ideas - I never thought of filming myself. I'll try that once I get better Smile
Luke Sherratt
View Profile
Loyal user
The Isle Of Wight, England
246 Posts

Profile of Luke Sherratt
Here is a good tip for working with mirrors, Cut out some Eye's from a magazine and tape them to the mirror and whilst you parctice focus on the eyes, That will help you learn the trick and also help with making contact with the spec. Also remeber when using a mirror you are trying to fool yourself you don't wan't to the one move you need to do go wrong so you tend to blink when that move happens and you miss a lot so I say use a video camera you can't beat it.

Luke
We're 106 miles from Chicago, we have a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
Hey I love that spectators eye tip ! Smile great job !
Wizzy
View Profile
New user
UK
37 Posts

Profile of Wizzy
To get your total performance right tape yourself in the clothes you wear, use the script you have written, and perform out to the camera. That way you can correct your actions, cut out the ers and ars or any superfluous words, and check how you look all in one.

Then do it again and get it better.

There are lots of tips in `Maximum Entertainment` by Ken Weber - try the string in the Café.

Wizzy
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Yo,
Mirrors are spiffy for testing the 'look' of a sleight, but note that mirror 'angles' are NOT fully 'real' angles. Consider a standard close-up performance in which you will have people of varying heights and placement relative to your working area. You may have as many as 20 or more angles to adjust to in one way or another. A mirror, even a three sided mirror basically offers only one sight angle to be ware of...yours!

Check yourself with a mirror and then leave them alone. Imagine your audience around you. SEE their eyes, movement, placement, etc. and attempt to adjust to these conditions changing them each time you practice. Best,

Brad Burt
Brad Burt
superhiro
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of superhiro
I don't have a video camera so I can't comment on that by I do use a mirror alot.

When you practise sleights you still end up looking at your hands to see if you are doing something wrong which focuses your attention to your own hands. So I don't think you would act as natural as just doing it infront of a camera. But I would say a mirror is useful in finding out the angles of a sleight. You can quickly check what are the most extreme angles you can work with.

Hiro
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4355 Posts

Profile of rannie
Next to a magic buddy and a video cam, the mirror is the next best thing.
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
Yes, using a friend can help a great deal, however if you know more than them about misdirection, etc... than you will want to watch yourself on a recording Smile but, a friend is better than you practicing alone in a dark room Smile
Kaizen Magick
View Profile
New user
Torrance CA
72 Posts

Profile of Kaizen Magick
In addition to mirrors and video, I think it also important to practice in front of people, especially layman so you can get a real audience reaction. Having a friend who is a magician to watch your act can be helpful with some of the technical aspects but sometimes we magicians can be too critical as we no longer see things like a normal audience would. I suppose a good balance of all the mentioned techniques would be the best of all worlds but obviously this is not always possible.
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4355 Posts

Profile of rannie
Good point Kaizen! Real people is the way to go, but only after polishing it a bit with the "critical" friend. An example is the Classic Force. The only way to get good at it is to give it a go as often as you can. If they pick the wrong card , simply proceed to a signed card effect or any pick a card and lose it and find it type effect.

Cheers !

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
Kaizen Magick
View Profile
New user
Torrance CA
72 Posts

Profile of Kaizen Magick
Right on, Rannie!
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
A mirror is a great way to check out your appearance and for a simple run through. But, video from different angles is the way to tweak effects.
When taping, a great way to keep your performance honest is to place a paper bag over your head. No Joke! It keeps you from watching yourself, stifling your natural mannerisms and it focuses your attention on the effect.
For the final polish nothing beats a good director (non-magician).

Kregg
POOF!
Darko
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Darko
Video is a better way. When you practising with mirrors, you can´t concentrate 100% in the trick and 100% in watchi yourself. It´s impossible. The video allows you to do the effect properlly and later, watch with full attention on details.

(my poor english, again, sorry).
Jaymz023
View Profile
Veteran user
Midwest
356 Posts

Profile of Jaymz023
I use a mirror for certain things-- and a web camera. I have used a video camera a couple times-- The web cam is very convienient.
Creator of "Re-Attached" an easy piece by piece Torn and Restored card routine.

http://www.lybrary.com/reattached-p-250.html
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Practicing and mirrors (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL