The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Where to Buy Doves? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jaystyles
View Profile
New user
San DIego, Ca
28 Posts

Profile of jaystyles
Hey guys Im thinking into getting into the Dove Scene. Just looking on where to buy some doves here in San Deigo? Anyone know a breeder? What are the best doves to work with?'

Thanks Jay
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
879 Posts

Profile of sperris
Hey jay, ask andy amyx, I'm a good friend of his and Andy used to live in San Diego. He's a very talented bird guy and knows A LOT! He's in Sacarmento now, but he'd know. Contact him at: http://www.andyamyx.com
good luck!

sperris
DANSPERRY.COM
jaystyles
View Profile
New user
San DIego, Ca
28 Posts

Profile of jaystyles
Sperris,

Thanks man I really appreciate that. Ill contact him asap. I heard one place over here called Daves Feed which kind of dove should I use? White, Ringneck, Diamond?
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5006 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Jay, another good source for doves is a new member here at the Café, Wakanda. Wakanda raises doves for magicians and I've heard good reports from others.

As for the types of doves to use, most magicians use white ones but brown ringnecks are also used. Diamonds are very small and might be difficult for a dove routine.
Where the magic begins
jaystyles
View Profile
New user
San DIego, Ca
28 Posts

Profile of jaystyles
Thanks Dave.. I just emailed Andy and waiting for his reponse.Okay so ill stick to the white doves. I called a shop here David Feeds and they said they were only 10 bucks those that sound about right? Should I be getting doves at a certain age? Maybe like 1 week old or something like that?

Jay
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Jay,

You don't want doves one week old. Baby doves are fed by their parents. The substance is called pigeon milk. You don't want the babies until they are fully feathered under the wings and capable of feeding themselves.

Getting them for $10 each is a good deal. Since you really want to use them “yesterday”, if you can get adults, why not? Adults are no harder to train than youngsters and a little more durable. Working magic doves frequently work well into their second decade. Young doves are much more likely to die within the first two years. Older birds seem to make it forever once they make it through that second year.

The only real difference between white and colored ring neck doves for magic is price. The white ones do typically sell for much more. They are also a little flashier on stage. Diamond doves are not very useful in a magic act. They are also not very recognized by audiences.

Remember that doves become a real commitment and require much more attention off stage than on. They may also change your travel plans. If they fit into your life and family, they are nice. If they don’t fit, it doesn’t improve with age.

Enjoy!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Dakota Rose
View Profile
New user
Dakota Rose
100 Posts

Profile of Dakota Rose
Hi Jay,

This is Wakanda (Dakota Rose). I have two babies that are ready for a new magical home. They are about 3 months old. If things don't work out with Andy, let me know.

Dakota Rose
Dream things that never were and say, "Why not."

Junior Editor Linking Ring - Youth Forum

www.dakotarosemagic.com
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
879 Posts

Profile of sperris
Jay, I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, but it sounds like you're jumping into this feet first without testing the water. I'd recommend that you first get some videos, books, and other materials on dove magic before you go out and start buying doves. You may find out its not what you thought it would be like, good luck!

sperris
DANSPERRY.COM
mysticalmike
View Profile
Special user
Saratoga Springs, NY
513 Posts

Profile of mysticalmike
Can someone tell where I can get some good books on doves cause I do watn to start using them and I want to get start
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5006 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Mike, most magic dealers carry a good assortment of Dove books and videos. I always recommend Tony Clark Unmasked. It comes in both book and video. If you search through this forum, you'll find many recommendations for books. All of them are good.
Where the magic begins
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Where to Buy Doves? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL