The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » John Zander( Entertaining school shows) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
magicah123
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of magicah123
Can anyone please review the dvd by John Zander( Entertaining school shows)? Are the tricks commercial? Do you need to buy the necessary props?

Thanks
adam
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
I have seen this DVD and while I am not an expert in school shows, I think John Zander has done a very good job of explaining his point of view.

He addresses how to approach a school to close the deal. He honestly evaluates his own skill and lets us know that his show is for young children. He then treats us to a full show before an apprecitive audience. If this area is something you want to explore, I think John's DVD will give you a great starting point.

Regards,

Paul Green
Natural Mystic
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta, GA
509 Posts

Profile of Natural Mystic
Hi All,

Here's a review by Steve V from Magic Talk Reviews:

Entertaining School Shows

Format: DVD
Theme: Elementary School Magic Shows
Performer/instructor: John Zander
Who would be interested: Kid performers, school performers, parlour performers

I enjoy performing for children and I do a pretty good job at it. For some odd reason kids like me and that is an important part of entertaining kids. Since I really enjoy that aspect of performing I was very interested in John Zanders new production, Entertaining School Shows. I had seen his Loose Ends DVD and was impressed so I jumped on the chance to get hold of this, hoping to find material and ideas that would improve my show. I was not disappointed.

First you have to realize that John Zander is working one of the toughest areas in the country, the Los Angeles basin. There are lots of people and lots of very talented magicians and other types of performers in LA, they operate at a higher level than 90% of the country when it comes to magic because the bar is set so much higher there. John is in there swinging and that says something about him as an individual and as a performer. Schools are a source of income many ignore because they feel that if they don't have a messege like "Drugs suck" or "two mommy's are as good as one" that they won't get the gig. Not true. Toss in a positive messege and the schools will usually use you. You do not need to pound them with a messege in every routine, the goal is to entertain, you are usually an award to the kids.

The DVD is about performing for elementary school children, John makes it clear that what he is presenting would be dead upon arrival at a middle school, he is right, not because it isn't good magic but because middle schoolers and many highschoolers are insane. The information and the routines provided can be used for church shows, preschool shows, or birthdays etc.. John knows what he is talking about because he does the work as part of his living. The DVD opens with John going over some of the whys and whats of performing for children. His info is very good and solid, he covers his bases well and the discussion is worth listening to. John then does a short interview with a principle of a school, giving you a bit of insight into what the administration of schools may be thinking.

Next we get to see an entire performance by John at a school. This is nice because we see how he selects helpers, interacts with the punkies, and gets the audience into the show, clapping and laughing. Johns performance was great. I have seen local 'professional kids show magicians' in my area, not all of them, but some, and they couldn't hold a candle to John. The kids really got into the show and enjoyed it completely. Surprisingly he did his show out of a small-ish case sitting on what appeared to be a waiter stand. He used rope, silks, a cool routine with a bucket, nothing big, no expensive mini-illusions. The meaning of this is important to those out there wanting to get into the kid market, you don't need a levitation device. I saw a guy who had one and he was less that good and that was his only selling point. I admit I looked at a couple points with a "I'm gonna get John on this issue" only to have him address the issues in his explanations.

Oh, at one point John does juggle and I swear, I mean this, I expected him to turn to the camera and say "up yours Steve V" because of my famous inability to juggle even one ball.

The routines were not difficult, technically, but John really did a nice job presenting them, the routines were good. He had a nice routine with the magic coloring book that showed how that basic item can be used for a longer piece. His rope routine, loose ends (he doesn't explain it because it is pretty detailed and covered in his other DVD, Loose Ends, which is very good). He does some nice work with a card image to silk, I liked it, and a routine with a bucket that is very funny and creative. John surprised me by doing a boxer short production ala 21st Century Silks but he acknowledged the same concerns I had and then gave his reasons for doing it and you know what? He changed my mind on the subject. John also gave up some quickies that are funny and great to incorporated with a show. As an added bonus John's son helped with the explanations and I noted that the kid has one of the coolest names I've ever seen, you will have to get the video to find out what it is. Here is a hint, John is an extremely talented guitar player, so much so I don't know why he wastes his time with magic.

John does a very nice job on this DVD and the production levels are up there with most of the good DVD's on the market. By that I mean it isn't perfect in sound or image but magic DVD's don't pull in enough cash to justify spending $100,000 to make me happy. Over all I was impressed and I'm usually a book guy! For those who want to do kids magic shows this should be on your short list, forget that Mark Leveridge stuff, this is the real work.

Recommended $29.95 From ZanderMagic

http://www.magictalk.com/cgi-bin/reviews.cgi

One Love!
"You never change the existing reality by
fighting it. Instead, create a new model that
makes the old one obsolete."
-- R. Buckminster Fuller
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Wow! Sounds line a keeper. I am starting to do school shows for the first time this year.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello:

I just bought this DVD from John and it's very good. John has a nice, easy-going style that I enjoy; plus, he has a number of bits that I am going to add to my show. I can't really say too much that Steve V. hasn't already said, but I'll name my favorite parts:

1. Loose Ends Rope routine
2. Card Silk routine
3. "Did it leave a mark?"

I highly recommend this DVD.

Ron
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Thanks Ron....I guess the only thing that discouraged me about it was the juggling part. I can't juggle one ball:(

I just ordered it from his Ebay store. I have my first school show in 8 weeks and pretty dawg gone nervous.
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1142 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
While I'm not a "school performer" per se, I did watch and enjoy this dvd. John presents and teaches the information with care and a good understanding of what needs to be taught. His philosophy on getting the children involved is driven home in all the routines. I would recommend this to anyone wanting to perform in this challenging environment.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Can't wait...John personally replied letting me know he was sending it our yesterday.
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
A wonderful DVD with lots of useable ideas from John Zander. I have purchased the Loose Ends DVD after watching the routine and noting the response from the kids. Also dug out my card silk set and even added a tassel on my change bag just so I could use John's throwaway line. The gag with the electric deck is worth lots too!

Thanks again Mr. Zander for sharing!
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Hey Candine, how was your show going?

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
gman
View Profile
Special user
Lancaster, pa
751 Posts

Profile of gman
I just purchased this DVD and I think I might not have the same one everyone here has...I didn't find anything on it that pertained to getting a school. Nor did I find tips on putting a show together and what the school expects from an entertainer or using assistants and handling your audience or doing a full show out of one case. All I found was Six average tricks performed in front of a live audience and 5 explanations with the first one being sold separately.

Which by the way Loose Ends...was nothing more than bits of Fiber Optics? On top of that he is selling the same dvd for which I and it seems most of you paid ($30 bucks) for only $10.00 that is a bit of a price difference.

I have emailed him and sent a copy of that email to the magic shop from which I purchased it from. I must say this was a bid disappointment.
Majestic12
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
643 Posts

Profile of Majestic12
I have to agree with Gman here for the most part. I felt like I paid just to watch him perform, but that was not what I wanted to get out of this DVD.

His routines are entertaining for the children but seem to be just average when compared to the likes of Sammy Smith, Barry Mitchell and others.

In fact I wish I would of saved my money and bought something from those performers instead.

Also the fact that I paid $29.95 for this and then go to Zander's website and see it for only $10.00 bucks really has me a bit disgusted.

Either he should honor his distributors and offer a fairly respectable price near the $29.95, or he should have jobbed them to Murphys Magic Supplies at a cheaper price with a lower retail.
Majestic12
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
643 Posts

Profile of Majestic12
Just noticed his website... now there is no price stated in the ad copy, but when you click add to cart it is $120.00 plus $12 shipping...........

I am glad I didn't pay that Smile
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I want to jump in here. The DVD in question shows an interview with the hiring principle of a school explaining what they look for. John explains how he goes about getting shows, it shows his show, it then shows the explanations on how to do the routines. Seems to be that is pretty much what one would expect. a couple of you act as it it is a performance only with no info or instruction on it dvd and that is incorrect. You feel he had to explain to you how to completely routine your own show? Sounds to me like someone being handed a car and then complaining because the giver didn't teach them to drive first....some experience is assumed. I think Zander did a fine job on the DVD and he has every right to sell them at whatever price he decides. I saw a post about Dan Fleshman selling his lecture notes along with a copy of From The Jailhouse for less than the retail price of the DVD at shops, are you going to snivel about that as well? Gman, I have no clue what DVD you watched but it isn't Zanders school magic one because he goes over pretty much everything you said he didn't.

Zander, if you see this you keep doing what you do because you do a fine job at it.
Majestic12
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
643 Posts

Profile of Majestic12
The interview lasts about 45 seconds, I was expecting him to expand more upon getting the shows and what the principle said.

Like I stated earlier, I thought his routines were ok but nothing special. The advice he gave in beginning of the DVD was again, average and he seemed a bit unorganized as he had to keep looking over his notes.

I expected more from this and my expectations were not even close to being met. I will stick with material from the guys I can trust. IE . SPS, Barry Mitchell, Ginn etc.

Zander is a successful performer as can be noted by watching his show on the DVD but his success in putting together a comprehensive DVD on school shows has much to be desired.

If you are interested in watching his show, this DVD is for you, but if you are looking for something with more meat to it than just average stuff I suggest looking elsewhere.

As for the price of the DVD, I still say it is bad business and I am sure if Murphys saw what he was selling it for then they would not order anymore from him in the future.

Same thing goes for anyone selling a product. Yes I expect special sale prices, lecture specials, combo deals and all that but to sell a DVD for over 60% less than what the suggested retail price given by the distributor isn't smart.

The DVD costs more wholesale from Murphys then Zander was selling it for on his site.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Who is Barry Mitchell? Never heard of this person before. The Zander dvd has value and is a good example on how to perform a kids show, in this case in a school. I'm sure if you need more detail in order to get your feet off the ground John will be happy to guide you, for the majority that much hand holding wasn't neccessary.
Majestic12
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
643 Posts

Profile of Majestic12
Zanders was a self published DVD and unless I am mistaken Dan Fleshman DVD's were produced by L & L . Not that this really matters but you would think Zander would keep a reasonably close price, even $19.95 would of been OK in my opinion.

I am not sure why Zander was offering it so cheap on his site but you think he would keep the price close, to keep the percieved value of it in tact.

I expect things to be sold below retail in some instances, that is fine. But as stated earlier that is a huge difference in price, and this may be what made him change it on his website.

As for Barry Mitchell, he can be found at , http://www.barrymitchell.com . He has created many original products and is well known as a leader in childrens magic entertainment.
gman
View Profile
Special user
Lancaster, pa
751 Posts

Profile of gman
"John explains how he goes about getting shows"
I didn't see that

"it shows his show, it then shows the explanations on how to do the routines. Seems to be that is pretty much what one would expect. a couple of you act as it it is a performance only with no info or instruction on it dvd and that is incorrect."

If you look at my original post I never said it was just a performance dvd. He does explain 5 of the six tricks that he does. What I felt was not covered was what he was advertising.

"You feel he had to explain to you how to completely routine your own show? Sounds to me like someone being handed a car and then complaining because the giver didn't teach them to drive first....some experience is assumed."

Ok using your example. If I was buying a car and the ad stated that they would show me how to drive and then when I purchased the car the only instructions were insert key put in drive and go, I would not consider that teaching me to drive.

It is the same with the advertisment that Zander uses on not only his site but on Murphy's site and on the back of his DVD case. It clearly states that we will learn "how to put a show together" (only thing mentioned of this was that when putting a show together if you use effects that excite the children then don't expect them to calm down quickly.)

"What the school expects from an entertainer" (ok that was the 35 second interview with the principle...although the only question was asked if the principle thought the most important thing was entertainment value.)

"Using Assistants and Handling your audience" (ok part of the answer could come from routining a show and the using assistants well all that was mentioned was he uses lots of assistants.)

"Do a full show out of one case"(again the only thing stated was that he never uses props that don't fit into the case). Point is if you are going to advertise these things you should state more than a word or two or even a sentence or two.

In the business world it is called truth in advertising.

"I saw a post about Dan Fleshman selling his lecture notes along with a copy of From The Jailhouse for less than the retail price of the DVD at shops, are you going to snivel about that as well?"

You are not really comparing apples to apples. Lecture notes should be cheaper than the dvd, that is unless the notes are the exact dvd that is being sold and then it should not be sold for less than what the distributor sells them at wholesale for.

It is not fair to Murphy's.

This to me is one DVD that did not live up to its advertising.

But hey you are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
He is selling the notes with the dvd, both, and more, for less....pretty good huh? I think the dvd is as expressed, most who saw it were very happy with it. Let Murphy deal with John Zander if they want to, it is there issue.
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
When I originally purchased this DVD, I was a PT children's show performer with several years under my belt. and I have to say, I didn't really get much from this DVD.

Zander, as a performer, is fine. He can entertain the audience, that is apparent from the show segments.

I just felt that the particular effects taught, were not very impressive overall (this could just be my personal taste). I aIso thought the production value, audio and picture quality, were low on this project.

I think a longer discussion on the business, maybe some more interviews with various school staff members, could have helped this DVD quite a bit.

With that said, a complete kid's show newbie, could probably learn something from this DVD - even if it's only by watching Zander perform, and noting the importance of comedy/fun in the routines, instead of just doing the effects.

I happened to purchase it from Zander's site for $10, so I can't complain about that aspect. For $10, I never felt the need to post a negative review. Had I shelled out $30 for this DVD, I might have felt differently.
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » John Zander( Entertaining school shows) (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL