The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » LVMI DVD???? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
magicah123
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of magicah123
Can anyone please post a review of the new dvd LVMI LIVE DVD? What is the skill level? do you rec?
Thanks
jimesw
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Profile of jimesw
Does anybody have this yet?
Is it any good?
Cheers
jimesw
elie brown
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of elie brown
I have seen them tonight and I didn't like it at all!!
Except one or two effects that are good (Predator wallet, another routine from garet Thomas, and something from daryl) everything else is just magic for magician. Or try to be magic for magician.
My point of view is that magic should be create for laymen and not to try to fool some magician.
I didn't like this dvd at all.
Magic-Daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
Denmark
1328 Posts

Profile of Magic-Daniel
You forgot Geoff Latta. His performance, and specially the explanation part is worth the price of the dvds alone. This is Geoff's first public appearence in decades, and he shows why he is concidered the most talked about underground magician of the last 25 years.

Daniel
Gilmore
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Gilmore
Quote:
On 2004-08-17 20:48, elie brown wrote:
I have seen them tonight and I didn't like it at all!!

Did you not see the performance by Bob Fitch?
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Dan Watkins did a review of the coin material on these discs, check it out at the Coinvanish website. He was impressed by the Latta material there, too. I found a lot of valuable insight in Geoff's lectures, and in the material he ws doing out in the bar. It was a great experience.

Regarding "Magic for Magicians," I don't think that's accurate. My piece on the LVMI discs is the "Coins to Goblet" based on the Coins to Glass routines of Dai Vernon and Fred Kaps. They used their routines for lay audiences, as I use mine. Frankly, I hadn't intended to release the routine, but the crowd was so large I decided to perform something out of my parlor show, and there it was.

I had done that routine for audiences of all types, including drunks, businessmen, and little children. LVMI was the first time I have ever done the routine for magicians. Geoff Latta's magic is also live and direct from the "trenches". He has been away from most magicians for more than 20 years. His performances during that time were almost exclusively for lay audiences. And you can't watch Bob Fitch work and think his material wouldn't work for laymen. That's precisely what it's there for.

I just got my copies of the DVD. I'll post something once I've had a chance to have a look.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4675 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
My own effect, Three Times Coin to Card, explained on the DVD, was made specifically for a lay audience.
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
And by the way, you don't like "magic for magicians" but you liked Daryl, introduced on the disc as "the magician's magician"?
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4675 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Elie Brown says, "My point of view is that magic should be create for laymen".

My point of view is that magic should be created to laywomen.
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1123 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
Quote:
On 2004-08-22 10:34, Michael Rubinstein wrote:

That's a freakin' classic!!
tpdmagic
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

Profile of tpdmagic
O.K. guys(and girls) I just got the dvd and I the only things I have watched so far are the lattas coin routine( wow I have watched at least 20 times) great stuff and Martin Nashes card trick. I am wondering if anyone knows if Martins card trick is in print? And if so where would I find it and what is the name of it?
Thanks,

tpdmagic
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2004-08-22 10:34, Michael Rubinstein wrote:

Anyone catch how funny that is??? The Doc does it again!!!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
elie brown
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of elie brown
OK calm down everybody!
Mr Kam I love your work but usually it is a lot more visual.
The latta coin trick was too much confusing. I am soory to tell but that's true. So perhaps some phases of the entire routine are good but every thing together was very very coinfusing.
I didn't like at all the Bob fitch prestation. Nothing is clean and natural.
And please look at the second dvd nothing inside: just unknown magicians that perform there sunday's trick.
So look at the dvd another time please.
And a last thing: for 49.95$ I expect more than one or two good routines.
tpdmagic
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

Profile of tpdmagic
Quote:
On 2004-08-24 19:45, elie brown wrote:
OK calm down everybody!
Mr Kam I love your work but usually it is a lot more visual.
The latta coin trick was too much confusing. I am soory to tell but that's true. So perhaps some phases of the entire routine are good but every thing together was very very coinfusing.
I didn't like at all the Bob fitch prestation. Nothing is clean and natural.
And please look at the second dvd nothing inside: just unknown magicians that perform there sunday's trick.
So look at the dvd another time please.
And a last thing: for 49.95$ I expect more than one or two good routines.
Well Its time, New to the site? That is my question....Latta and Fitch were the two best performances on this dvd. And Curtis coin to goblet routine is what it is a misers dream......Done very well. Latta and Fitch are the best in the field who are you? I don't meen to sound rude but come on you don't have many post, and these guys gave up some of there valuable information to share there thoughts with us. Yes there are some guys on the dvd that are no names but are you on the dvd....Didn't think so. We all have opinions and you are entitled to yours but keep in mind that fitch and latta both have perfected there magic way beyond most other magicians. I am willing to bet that fitch, fooled you bad.....with his methods, and latta fooled you with his reasons....Just look at it from a lay persons perspective. We mostly perform for the lay audience. I am usually not this harsh but when you spend 20 years of your life for a great art then someone seems to put down people that have spent the same or more time perfecting there art it seems like ignorence........

tpdmagic
tpdmagic
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

Profile of tpdmagic
Just for everyones info: my wife just watched 3 routines on the dvd latta, Fitch, And Kams....She said that this magic is great these guys are performing for magicians on the dvd but entertained me. Now my wife watches a lot of magic and she has seen good, great, and really bad stuff. I just wanted to make a point that once again that this stuff is what works on real people not just magicians. She said she liked them all a lot but Fitch was a funny old man...LOL And she also commented on how nervouse Latta was but fooled the heck out of her.......After watching Kam she lol and said now that's a real working misers dream that could be done anywere......SO IS MY POINT MADE YET?

tpdmagic
saturnin
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
964 Posts

Profile of saturnin
#1- Please keep in mind that everyone has there own
tastes and personal opinions!!!

#2- Therefore, it is IMPOSSIBLE to please EVERYONE.

(before any bashing begins)

"...who are you? I don't meen to sound rude but come on you don't have many post,..."

I am sorry but someone's amount of posts on an internet forum has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with their expertise on the subject!!!!

" Yes there are some guys on the dvd that are no [known] names but are you on the dvd....Didn't think so."

As far as I know you are not listed on the DVD either... so then should I just "flush" the rest of your arguments to the toilet????

"We all have opinions and you are entitled to yours "

Well, then why do you feel the need to 'convert' him to your opinions????

"I am usually not this harsh but when you spend 20 years of your life for a great art then someone seems to put down people that have spent the same or more time perfecting there art it seems like ignorence........ "

Please re-read my first 2 statements, and I must say that I disagree about your reference to "ignorance".

(ironic isn't that you mispelled that word?!?)

So I guess you guys will have to agree to disagree!

my 2 cents

Ronnie Lemieux
Montreal
Canada
There is no road to happiness,

happiness is the road!
elie brown
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of elie brown
Thank you Ronnie,
Keep in mind that magic IS an art because everybody can have his own and personal taste about a routine.
That's all falks!
Chris S
View Profile
Veteran user
393 Posts

Profile of Chris S
There was some pretty blatant filler material on there. The "sneakers" bit springs to mind as the most obvious one as well as the guy doing the endless silk from pocket. I bought it pretty much for Geoff's routine and explanation, but I think it could have been trimmed down to one DVD quite easily. Curtis' routine was very pretty and Joel Givens also came across as a very clever and creative thinker. Does anyone know where he has any other published material?
May your moral compass guide you true - South West is where the honourable man fare. Pity those who lose their way...
John Pezzullo
View Profile
Veteran user
Sydney AUSTRALIA
354 Posts

Profile of John Pezzullo
Joe Givan published two sets of lecture notes several years ago, "Magic from the Attic" and "More Magic from the Attic". He also recorded a lecture video during his lecture tour of Britain back in the early 1990s. This video may still be available from Davenports in London.

For those who may interested, Joe Givan was awarded the first prize in close-up at FISM in 1988.

Joel Givens is an entirely different person. I understand that Joshua Jay is writing a book featuring Joel Givens' work.

Regarding the "LVMI LIVE!" DVD - it's a mix of the good, the bad, and the ugly. As Chris has mentioned above, this really should have been trimmed down to a single DVD.
"One arrow. One life."
Chris S
View Profile
Veteran user
393 Posts

Profile of Chris S
Ah yes - apologies to Joe and to Joel for the mix up! Thanks a lot for the information, John. A font of knowledge as per usual!
May your moral compass guide you true - South West is where the honourable man fare. Pity those who lose their way...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » LVMI DVD???? (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL