The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What kind of magician am I? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
I'm not really new to magic, but I'm new to these forums. I see that people tend to categorize their acts and I'd like to do the same, but I can't figure out what kind of category I most fit into. The reason that I want to do this is so that I know which areas of the forum to read first, which ones do acts that are most like mine and with which I have the most in common, n'est pas?

OK, here's a typical act, of course I often change it up, especially if it's for tykes, etc., but if I'm doing a corporate gig it's pretty much like this - and in this order.

Torn and restored card
Classic force with a snap change for a kicker.
Scotch and Soda, Centavo under the selected card.
Hummingbird card on that card.
Chop cup
Cups and balls
Sponge balls
Multiplying Sponge balls
ball to giant square
Nite Flite
Zombie

If there's a guest of honor I do some things with him, pen through $20, float his $20, D'Lite coming out of his ears, etc.

I do my routine sort of fast, and I may add or leave out a few things depending on my time available and how the audience responds (lots of applause and laughter and I leave out the Nite Flite and the Zombie)

So, what would you call me, besides a work-a-holic?
jsmagus
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of jsmagus
Sounds to me like a combination of close up and walk around. Maybe a little cabaret. I wouldn't try to catagorize myself if I were you ( unless you are doing a special feild like mentalism or escapeology) Just do what you do and call yourself a magician!
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
Yea, I'm gonna have to go with close up Smile
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
I guess close up is the closest (so to speak) of course the zombie is stage but it's my least used effect.
prettylady1990
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of prettylady1990
I think you are a close up worker
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Although most of your stuff is close-up, you do have a couple of item's that would work well on the stage. I would call you a Parlour Magician.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
I know it's easier said than done, but don't worry about catagorizing yourself. Follow your interests and in the end they will show you what you are. Besides, would it be so bad if you were something different? Something not held down by a catagory?
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Darko
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Darko
Close-up magician.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
On second thought you look like a Cowboy. You are a Cowboy Magician. Smile
Iven Smile
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
I am definitely a cowboy magician. I'm from Austin!

Here's a funny story, happened to me a couple of years ago. I was travelling from Austin to DisneyWorld for a gig. I was performing at the Disney Swan hotel. I had a performance just before I caught my plane so I was in costume. I stopped at the restaurant on my way to check in and had lunch. After lunch I wandered over to the cashier to pay and realized I only had 100 dollar bills! I figured, this is a resort, they can make change.

The cashier asked me, and I quote, "Sir, do you have anything smaller?"

I just stared at her. Here was an opportunity that I was NOT going to pass up!

I leaned back, affected my very best Texas drawl, put one finger under the brim of my hat and pushed it to the back of my head.

"Ma'am, I don't know if you noticed the fine beaver-fur Stetson or the string tie. Even though my solid silver belt buckle is the size of one of you dinner plate, it might have escaped your attention. My handmade Lucchese boots might be entirely out of your range of vision and you might not even know what this here duster is, but Ma'am..." pause for effect "You see, I'm from Texas and well, we just ain't well known for having things that are smaller."

Oh yeah, I'm a showman.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Great story. Smile I did hold my breath a little while reading your tale but you kept it clean and humorous. I would have loved to been standing there at the time.
Iven Smile
Frostgale
View Profile
New user
Greece
73 Posts

Profile of Frostgale
Heh ,try street magic the attitude will help you... Smile

Alex
aamwood
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of aamwood
I run my own business and make living from it. I really love magic and always keep the secret for myself without letting everbody else know the secret. I usually spend about $ 100 every month to buy magic tricks or DVDs. But.... I really seldom show the magic to my friends, I just enjoy practicing it Smile SO I am not a magician I quess Smile

I wonder a lot of times, why should I keep buying magic stuffs if I seldom show it ? May be I just want to learn the secret. But magic is always my interest, it is just about showing it to public is the problem.
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
Aamwood, I don't think that I would go so far as to say you are not a magician, but you probably aren't a showman.
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
I don't know many magicians who can truly classify themselves as a certain type of magician. Max Maven for instance is a mentalist and he does only that(mostly) but I suggest you read as many forums as you can and find the forums you enjoy even if you don't do that "type" of magic.
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
Quote:
On 2004-08-03 22:34, rikbrooks wrote:
"Ma'am, I don't know if you noticed the fine beaver-fur Stetson or the string tie. Even though my solid silver belt buckle is the size of one of you dinner plate, it might have escaped your attention. My handmade Lucchese boots might be entirely out of your range of vision and you might not even know what this here duster is, but Ma'am..." pause for effect "You see, I'm from Texas and well, we just ain't well known for having things that are smaller."

What was her reaction?!
aamwood
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of aamwood
Rikbrooks, may be I am just a invisible magician Smile LOL. Thank you for your comment Smile
I just enjoy doing sleight of hands in card magic and making my own props ( I think it is an art ).
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Quote:
On 2004-08-05 12:38, aamwood wrote:
Rikbrooks, may be I am just a invisible magician Smile LOL. Thank you for your comment Smile
I just enjoy doing sleight of hands in card magic and making my own props ( I think it is an art ).

I have not performed for the public since 1978 and that was just doing demo's in a Magic Shop. I have been a member of Ring 339 for a little over a year now and I still have not performed for the club yet (worried about 1st impressions) but plan to before the end of this year. I probably hold the record for being a non performing Ring member (how sad is that?).
Magic is a profession, hobby, pastime, diversion, art, therapy etc... not all Magician's perform for the public and I suppose many more than we will ever know are performing for themselves only. I have seen some "Professional" Magician's that were downright embarrasing and should go back home and do some serious practicing. I have also seen some very fine work by Magician's who have never performed for anyone but Family and close friends.
If you are happy with what you do and it sounds very much like you are, keep it up and yes, you are a Magician.
Iven Smile
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
I said something quite like that to my mentor, The Great Scott, when he wondered why I prefer sleights to gimmicks. I told him that I like the challenge of learning the sleight. I told him that I practice for enjoyment. I like the practice.

He said, "Then some of these effects are just for you? You never intend to show them?" I said probably not.

He smiled and said, "That's magical masturbation".

Well, nothing wrong with that, I guess.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What kind of magician am I? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL