The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Getting caught! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Kjellstrom, you're exactly right about starting with those kinds of tricks.

I forgot to mention that aspect..

That's exactly what I did do but by the time the groom-to-be showed up I had already done that type, and needed to do the bride-groom specific one's i'd planned on because it was getting a bit late.

The bride had me start while he was outside talking with other people.

I think he was a little nervous perhaps about me potentially putting him on the spot
which is why he might have been stalling, maybe hoping to miss the whole thing.

The trick with the top-change was "The Luck Card" from Card College I. I never do that trick early for that very reason. Once people give up trying to figure things out, this trick is extremely strong to the point of being eerie. I always have a woman do it and sometimes when it's over, they say nothing; just staring at their card, shaking their head, saying "that's wierd" or whatever. The cool thing is they (usually) never look to me as to how the trick was done. They are wondering how THEY did it. It's awesome!

Good point Kjellstrom!!
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Paul Menzel
View Profile
Special user
Boise, Idaho
530 Posts

Profile of Paul Menzel
fstarsinic,

I don't think you stated outright if this was a paid engagement or if your performance was directed towards the whole group at once or more of a walking situation. I have encountered people like this also and I refrain from sharing my magic with them. But if you were paid for your performance, walking away or cutting the performance short might not have been an option.

These situations can be good (okay, maybe not "good," but potentially beneficial). These people point out the weak spots in our presentations. While that may not be pleasant, it does show us where we need more work and in the long run is better for our magic than those who see the reversed card but tell us how great the effect was anyway, never mentioning the exposure. These are not the sort of people I want as an audience (they aren't entertained by the magic, they are entertained by trying to catch the performer and they will be "right" with every solution even if they are wrong), but are the type that may be good to have around for honest feedback.

The first time I ran into one of these people, he called me on a card control, pointing out that he thought the card was at the bottom of the deck. It was, but I intended to show it later anyway as part of the routine, so that was not a problem. The climax stumped him anyway, but the fact that he "caught" me before I wanted made me aware of an angle problem in that particular presentation. He later thought he had a solution to an effect I was showing him (while I was merely setting it up!). Instead of proceeding with the trick, I let him play. Since he thought he knew what I was doing, I allowed him to try to catch me each time I made a particular move. Sometimes he caught me and sometimes he admitted that he didn't see the move, but for him, it was a fun challenge. Of course, he never did see the secret move because there was no move! I spread the cards then closed the deck--the same each time--but the "trick" was all in his head. It worked for him.

Since then, if I notice that I've come across someone like that, I perform a gag trick for them then move on. They are entertained by the gag and and I don't leave feeling like I've sullied magic or my reputation.

Please pardon my rambling. Smile I just know how lousy your experience feels.
Lance Pierce
View Profile
Special user
878 Posts

Profile of Lance Pierce
Quote:
On 2002-08-07 01:31, pwagorn wrote:
What do you do when someone (correctly) guesses (& points out to all ) how you did something? "I saw that card in your hand!!", "you lifted up 2 cards!!"

Well, the truth is that if you perform regularly, you WILL be caught from time to time. It's just a matter of the odds. What you do depends on the situation, who caught you, what the tone is, etc.

Truth is, though, if it doesn't bother you whether you get caught or not, you'll get caught less, and when you do, you won't mind it. If you can approach your performance with this relaxed and easy-going mindset, your audience will, too, and they'll be relaxed with you. Even then, if they really like you and what you're doing, even if you get caught, it won't mean so much.

At the very least, you don't ever want to end any performance on a down note. If you mess something up or through no fault of your own get nailed, be sure to flow into something else that you're very sure of and that will knock them over. This is not a get even thing; it's a matter of ensuring that before you leave, your audience has gotten the entertainment they deserve. Your job isn't done until they like and appreciate you.

TCR
Lance Pierce
View Profile
Special user
878 Posts

Profile of Lance Pierce
Quote:
On 2002-08-07 12:49, fstarsinic wrote:

I performed at for a wedding party at their rehearsal dinner a couple weeks ago and basically, the groom-to-be caught me at more than one trick. OUCH!

Yeah, every once in a while you come across a personality like this. It's no one's fault. There are some people who just won't be entertained by magic.

There are several ways to approach this, and what success can be reaped from them depends on a lot of different factors. I've found that for people like this, it's best to drop all card tricks and focus on other material that combines principles...like vanishing a lit cigarette in your bare hand. Neither sleight of hand nor a gimmick alone will explain how it's done, and therefore it's very difficult for a spectator to construct a plausible explanation.

I think I can point to one small thing, though. When working for person A, and person B joins you late, it's always best to suspend the magic for a few moments rather than just plow into the next effect and drag person B into it. You have to remember the second person is coming in cold. It's better to briefly stop, welcome him, shake hands, chit-chat, etc. Then draw him into your next effect that includes not just him, but several people (so he won't feel like he's put on the spot). A person's physical presence isn't all that's needed in order to start doing magic for him or her...they're better off if they have a certain level of comfort with the situation, and in these kinds of close-up environments, it's even more important. If you can get someone to relax a bit, your performance will go a lot further.

Cya,

TCR
pwagorn
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of pwagorn
"Truth is, though, if it doesn't bother you whether you get caught or not, you'll get caught less, and when you do, you won't mind it"

That's the best advice I've seen so far! - "Don't worry about it"
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

I don't necessarily agree with that if it means you get caught and then don't work later to improve and/or devise better methods of misdirection.

If I get caught, I take it very seriously, for the sake of Magic, and take steps to make sure it does not happen again.

If someone doesn't care, they get caught, and still say, "Awe, who cares", and then get caught again, I'd say they were being quite irresponsible as a magician.

Hopefully what you're getting at is to relax. That I do agree with or you'd never get the guts to get out there in the first place.
Dave Egleston
View Profile
Special user
Ceres, Ca
632 Posts

Profile of Dave Egleston
If you can get away - I would say something like " I sometimes flash the card in my hand to make people think they've figured out the trick" or "A lot of people think they see a card there - if I was really trying to fool you - I wouldn't do something so simple" and then thank them and walk away
You made no concession (and no sense - once they think about it) and might have left them wanting more
Then practice - Honestly you can not practice too much
Euan
View Profile
Inner circle
1041 Posts

Profile of Euan
Sometimes people think they know how somethings done and demand to be shown that they're right.

For example if you do a kelly ovete bottom replacement and they say "I dont believe that card went into the middle, it's on the bottom" just do a turnover pass and spread to show it really is in the middle, then do another turnover pass to take it back to the bottom. No big deal, if you get called on something do a move which is reversible which allows you to "prove" what you're doing is "fair".
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Yes, I was just thinking about that with palming. If you get caught and someone decides it is necessary to divulge what he knows, you could do a bad palm with one hand and a indifferent card, while you one-hand top palm the real card with the other card.

If the jerk, (er, the obvservant one)
decides he needs to point out once again, that you've got it in your palm, you can tell him ...
"No, sorry. It's under your drink"

Now I can't wait to get caught.
woo hoo!!
gilbreath76
View Profile
Loyal user
279 Posts

Profile of gilbreath76
Quote:
On 2002-08-07 19:32, fstarsinic wrote:
I don't necessarily agree with that if it means you get caught and then don't work later to improve and/or devise better methods of misdirection.

If I get caught, I take it very seriously, for the sake of Magic, and take steps to make sure it does not happen again.

If someone doesn't care, they get caught, and still say, "Awe, who cares", and then get caught again, I'd say they were being quite irresponsible as a magician.

Hopefully what you're getting at is to relax. That I do agree with or you'd never get the guts to get out there in the first place.

I agree! There are too many bad magicians. People should not perform unless they are ready. If you get caught, you should care. However I can understand beginners being eager to perform. But take heed, if you're a beginner, believe me, people can tell whether you're truly skilled or if you've just visited a magic shop doing store bought tricks and gaff decks.
gilbreath76
View Profile
Loyal user
279 Posts

Profile of gilbreath76
Quote:

I agree! There are too many bad magicians. People should not perform unless they are ready. If you get caught, you should care. However I can understand beginners being eager to perform. But take heed, if you're a beginner, believe me, people can tell whether you're truly skilled or if you've just visited a magic shop doing store bought tricks and gaff decks.
Lance Pierce
View Profile
Special user
878 Posts

Profile of Lance Pierce
Quote:

I'm more toward the latter. We should always strive to make our work as excellent as possible...as close to perfection as we can. What I'm saying is that we also need to understand that any one thing by itself is of no consequence. Understand that the more you perform, the greater your odds that (no matter how good you are), you will get caught from time to time. That's okay...it's part of the game. If you get caught all the time, though, or if you get caught with the same thing every time, that's a different story altogether, and something really needs some work somewhere.

The bottom line is that we can't expect our audience to have a good time if we can't have one ourselves while we're performing, and the better a time we're having, the less significance a little mistake will have.

Cya,

TCR
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
I think some tricks are not very good in the "real" world.
Tricks should be carefully tested out.
Some moves are not invisible even when you do it right. It´s a matter of correct choice of the right effects.
My best card effects dont use any advanced moves. Example; Ben Harris great card effect Zoom is a good example of a card trick thats dont use any moves, but it looks extremely magically for lay people.
Matt Graves
View Profile
Special user
Huntsville, Alabama (USA)
504 Posts

Profile of Matt Graves
I say that sometimes getting caught can be because you haven't practiced enough, but sometimes it's just par for the course . . . my brother was telling me that David Copperfield actually tripped while performing "Laser" in Florida recently and ended up exposing the illusion to the whole audience . . . and they laughed out loud . . . if he can fumble once in a while, I think any of us can. Also, Eugene Burger wrote a really good article on getting caught in Genii magazine, I think it was August 1995 . . . you used to be able to get to it from his website. He basically said he just tries to make it look like no big deal and resume the rest of the show as quickly as possible. He had a pet phrase like "Back to the drawing board with that one!" that he'd use whenever somebody saw through something.
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1384 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
Quote:
I agree! There are too many bad magicians. People should not perform unless they are ready. If you get caught, you should care. However I can understand beginners being eager to perform.

Well, there are couple things to consider on this.. Sometimes, even on the most rehearsed piece, its possible for a gremlin to sneak in. If you have a trick that you are just introducing into your repotoire, sandwich it, between two bullet proof effects... that way even if it goes wrong, you'll still make a good impression, and leave on a good note.. just don't get mad about the trick going wrong, even if you are mad on the inside, don't let it show... make a joke about it, a joke I like I use, "I have to screw one up every now and then to make this next one seem much more impressive in comparison." Complimenting them on the sharp eyes, won't hurt either.
Paul Menzel
View Profile
Special user
Boise, Idaho
530 Posts

Profile of Paul Menzel
If only one person in a group seems to be catching you, you could always pause just before your next "move," look in his direction, and say, "See? He's watching my hands so closely he failed to notice his fly is open." At that point there's no need to even cover your pass or palm the card--you can do the work openly 'cuz no one will be looking at YOU.* Smile

* This suggestion is to be taken lightly, with only one grain of salt, and never on an empty stomach. Please consult your physician before using this or any exorcist program. Keep out of reach of children.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

I've found that when I perform Cylinder and Coins there is usually one person that has a real need to try to figure out where the heck all those coins go.

When I discover who that is, I usually direct much more of the performance to that individual. I look them in the eye more than other spectators, etc.

When you ask that spectator a question like "How would you like me to make this coin disappear", they now become part of the act and cannot just sit their idly. I notice they put on their best behavior or think of a wise-crack, whatever, it doesn't matter. What does matter is at that moment, they are so focused on themselves you could drag an elephant on stage and they would not see it. Ok, maybe a camel.

And I love the line about the fly being open. That could be a winner.

:)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Getting caught! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL