The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Linking Coathangers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
I am aware of two marketed versions of the Linking Coathangers: The Delben (Ben Stone's) and Mike Caveney's.

Does anyone know the history of the effect? (It may be discussed in one of my magazines that featured Mike Caveney, but I'm not sure where to look right now).

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Well, here is the scoop.

I don't know the date of the Delben version, however... many years ago I stumbled onto a coat hangar in a department store that was made of aluminum and the material was almost 1/4-inch thick. I bought about a dozen of them.

Taking them home, I worked out a way to make an invisible-ish key, similar to Jerry Andrus' linking pin, hiding it in the curl of the hangar near the hook.

I made up three sets, gave one each to Fred Kaps and Terry Seabrooke, keeping one.

Caveney saw these and worked out his own routine, making up some of the same hangars, and I was told he literally bought out all he could from the manufacturer.

I understand that Richard Himber had made up some custom sets of stainless steel with a locking key, similar to his locking key linking ring set.

I kick myself daily for not marketing this first (Before Caveney) and not buying a 300SL Mercedes Gullwing that was offered to me for $7,000 (they now fetch well over $100,000).
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Thanks for the info Pete. A very interesting story! So do you think we will see a set from Magic Makers?

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Wouldn't that just CHAP Mike Caveney's Donkey!!!!

The Delben version was withdrawn from the market, because of pressure from Mike. This would, indeed, be a "battle of the deep pockets."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Ok But what Version is the first/original Don,
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Merlin Eifert an amateur magician on the Left Coast had a trick with a thin wire that stuck out of the top of your trousers (I have this) and I think THAT was the first ever linking of plain, cheap wire coat hangers.

I don't know when, but Richard Himber made up a few custom sets with the locking key like his linking rings. This, I believe was the first to "make" special hangers.

One day I found these alloy hangers and made up a few sets, one each for Fred Kaps and Terry Seabrooke, and one for myself. I patterned the key after the Andrus setup for the linking pins, using the TWIST area to have a "springy" way to link/unlink.

Delben made a similar set, I don't know which of us was first, but I had NEVER SEEN or HEARD of any others making sets like I did. Independent thinking? Probably.

Caveney came after, and I believe after he saw mine. I did NOT develop much of a routine, just using the setup for a 3-ring type routine.

Caveney worked out a very nice, commercial routine and added the Supreme gag, with the hack saw.

In retrospect I wish I had developed my idea and marketed it FIRST.

I do not know anything about Caveney putting PRESSURE on Delbin, but he could have if he had been BEFORE they were?

I don't know.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
As I recall, Mike thought he had this coathanger thing as original and then he later found out that someone else had had the idea years before. He told the story once in a lecture.

Mike's routine is the key (pun intended) and one of the few patter written routines I use verbatim.

But I have learned that it does not play well for kids. They never hang up clothes anyway so how would they know they get tangled together?
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Kids? Then you need a routine with all the props scattered on the floor Smile

I once got CHASTISED for a comment about a messy stage. A kid did an act at the WMS Jr. competition. When he finished the stage was littered with CRAP... snowstorm, cards, balloons... junk, etc.

As he finished and came back for a bow I said, "Clean your room."

Which got a great laugh. Except a reviewer said "Biro was RUDE to a performer."

:kermit:
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Funny. They never think about how they leave the stage for the next act.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
When you go pro and do a review show you MUST leave a clean stage. I think anyone that works leaving a messy stage should learn ways to NOT do so should they get a good gig and they will kill it fast with any mess.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Well said Pete. I try to get that through to the guys I talk with.

I still remember working with one act and getting Glitter out of my stuff for two years afterward.
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
It is hard to make glitter "disappear" indeed. I stopped using it in my shows because it is so hard to clean up.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
It has been four years since Steven Youell worked following Rocco, and Steven still finds glitter on his clothing. Smile
Hayre
View Profile
Regular user
Arkansas
195 Posts

Profile of Hayre
I bought a set from Ben Stone when he FIRST started making them.... in fact, I contacted him and asked if he could make a set, since I had just heard about Caveneys and they were so expensive at the time. So Ben made me a set for less than half the cost.... he also said that it was the first set he had made. He sold a few more set after that, and he told me he stopped for the exact reason alluded to here in other posts. I sold mine years later to Bob Spray, who sold them to Joe Stevens (I am unsure if the provenance followed them).
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
In the introduction to Jim Steinmeyer's "The Magic of Alan Wakeling", Caveney credits Wakeling with the hacksaw gag.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Mr Biro,

My coathangers and DVD just arrived from Mike Caveney, and on the DVD he credits you for the idea.

I'll add my personal thank you for a great idea.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Thanks for your kind words.
Joe McIntyre
View Profile
New user
North myrtle beach S.C.
61 Posts

Profile of Joe McIntyre
When I joined Ring 50, way back in 1955 or 56, I did Linking Coathangers that I put together myself. I found out later someone in GA was doing them, also.
optimystik
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of optimystik
Mike Caveney's hanger routune using a spectator with their eyes closed is hilarious and brilliant in so many ways.

An excellent piece of clean entertainment for adult audiences.

Stephen
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
That's "Powers of Darkness, Come Out of the Closet".

Steve
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Linking Coathangers (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL