We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » "The Magic of Christmas" show by John Kaplan (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kool Kat
View Profile
New user
New Zealand
25 Posts

Profile of Kool Kat
Hello. Has anyone bought or seen this program, being offered for sale by Dave Dee? It's a video of John Kaplan's Christmas show with marketing advice, etc. included.

The special deal is USD$97 plus $15 p&h if paid before August 31.

Is it a good show - worth the money? I wonder how adaptable it would be to someone else's personal style? I haven't had experience of John Kaplan's stuff, although there's a lot of hype about it on the web.

And, while I'm asking, has anyone joined Dave Dee's secret "Inner Circle" for a fee of $29.95 per year? I get his free ezine, and it's always full of these offers. He's sure good at marketing, anyway ;o) But whether the stuff is any good or not is another matter.

Cheers,
Kath Worsfold Smile
Bill & Kath Worsfold
Kiwi Entertainers
http://www.billkath.co.nz
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI,
The trouble with buying a ready made show is even if it is a good show in Mr. Kaplan's hands, will it be good in yours or mine?

Also as you are in New Zealand how USA oriented is it?

I think you would find at least some parts that you will have problems converting to suit your personality and performance style.

I would be more inclined to come up with my own show.
Phillip
Kool Kat
View Profile
New user
New Zealand
25 Posts

Profile of Kool Kat
Hi Phillip Smile Yes, of course, I know you're right. I wasn't looking to use someone else's show holus-bolus. We have a really good show (my husband and I together, plus our separate birthday party shows) but . . . (sigh) I guess I was hoping for some great Christmas show ideas.

We are finding it hard to get really good Christmas routines, or adapt routines for a Christmas treatment. We don't want to use anything religious, and of course, you don't get a chance to really hone a Christmas show like you do your other shows that you do all year.

Hmmm - maybe I should start a thread in another part of the forum about this.

Cheers,
Kath Worsfold Smile
Bill & Kath Worsfold
Kiwi Entertainers
http://www.billkath.co.nz
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Why do you feel you need to have a special Christmas show?

Why not just use a show you are familiar with and add Just a couple of Christmas/ generic items.

for example

I use Dukes Dye version. It is in my number two Birthday show and after the Production of the 24' by 1 ' rainbow streamer the paper tube is shown empty and inside it says "Happy Birthday". For just general shows it says " Now's the time to Clap" and at Christmas it says "Merry Christmas"

I also use the vanishing bottle to Fountain of silks with message silk (which changes accordingly).

This way you can use the effects all year round.
Phillip
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
A Xmas show sounds like a lot of fun to put together.
You could do cut and restored ribbon or torn and restored giftwrap.
Xmas balls could be used for a multiplying billard, egg bag or even stratosphere routine.
As much as I despise them D-lites could be used for a Rudolph the red nosed reindeer effect of some kind.
Chinese sticks with a little Santa and Tree attached could be used to show how he gets up and down the chimneys.
A festive nest of boxes, prettily giftwrapped and found under a tree would make a nice finale.
The possibilities are nearly endless.

If you look at it from a secular viewpoint there is plenty of material to use. Xmas trees, yule logs, the burning of candles, Holly, even the date are all Pagan in origin and predate the current symbology by hundreds, if not thousands of years.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Yes, I have purchase and reviewed this video. As with any theme related product, it's what you get out of it that determines its value.

Since I own Kaplan's Fundraising material and found that $300 purchase worth it to me, the purchase of this product, "The Magic of Christmas," was not a difficult decision. I got sufficient ideas from the video to be satisfied with my purchase. I enjoyed how he entwined Chrismas music to several standard tricks.

He gave life to my Fraidy Cat Rabbit trick by having it go down the chimney and get dirty from the soot. His notes offered numerous variations to the routines he did so you could use the tricks you now own if you didn't have the ones he did. His predesigned letters on disk make it easier for you to modify and send out to get more bookings.

John Kaplan did two shows so you could see two different ways he did the shows. One of the shows included a "tip-over" production of Santa Illusion, and a Zig-Zag Illusion, so it was an illusion Christmas show. You got to see him apply the use of two assistants and to do a show in a mall by himself.

After the shows Kaplan explained how to build several of the things he presented in the video. He did not show how the illusions were built since they were bought commerically, only his modifications.

For the $100, I expected more written text, or at least a small binder like his fundraiser material, but that was the weakest part of the package.

Now, considering most decent videos cost $40.00 without notes or predesigned marketing material, the price is justified. Am I happy with the purchase? Yes! Kaplan offers future programs such as his Halloween show. Would I purchase that? Yes, because I know what I am going to get from this Magic of Christmas Package.

He also offers a money back guarantee if you don't like this product.

Hope this helps.
Dennis Michael
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Kathy,
Payne has a clutch of good ideas in the post above.
Add to the list a square circle, with the square done up as a fireplace and the tube is the chimney; the load could be the stuff Santa leaves under the tree.
A picture of Santa (or the Grinch) on a nine-inch silk. Vanish with a TT.
Christmas cake from dove pan: bake it yourself -- nuts (metal nuts), dates (tear up a calendar page), dust with flour (dust with a feather flower; I use a wilting flower and the gag "didn't you ever hear of self-rising flour?"); and so on. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes "or, if you have plenty of time, at 40 degrees for 350 minutes"!
Smile
Ryan Price
View Profile
Special user
winnipeg, MB, Canada
641 Posts

Profile of Ryan Price
Since it is Christmas day I thought I would bring this topic back up. The cost for this product is now over $200. What are your thoughts on this product after being on the market for over 5 years? I would assume the product has been upgraded.

thanks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » "The Magic of Christmas" show by John Kaplan (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL