The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Need Information about buying a Blendo...A&P v. Silk King (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

flowJuggler
View Profile
New user
East Coast USA
71 Posts

Profile of flowJuggler
Hello All -

I am in the process of shopping for a blendo silk. I have seen the P&A Blendo at my local magic shop and seen the Silk King version online. Can anyone offer any feedback on either of these two products. Or, can you recommend a third or forth option?

Also, the P&A comes with two ungimmicked silks. Is it possible to use additional silks?

Feel free to PM me if you have a comment but it may reveal some of its workings.

Thanks. Any help is appreciated.

-P
Über goodest signature ever.
VarietyArtsBlog.com
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Let me put in a shameless plug for Silk King Studios.

http://silkkingmagic.com

If quality is an issue, then you cannot go wrong here. My SKS silks are thirty years old, and still look great!

Doug
Paul G
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Paul G
Dougini--

Dude! Did you get your SKS silks when you were 10?

Paul
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
LOL! Thanks, Paul...I'm 49! I was 18 or 19...still in the Army, when I bought my first Rice Silks...and when I got out, I was 20, and went nuts with my money...that's when I started acquiring a lot of what I have now...

Doug
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello:

Well, you can't go wrong either way; both companies make outstanding silk products. Personally, I like the art work on Rice silks better, but P&A are beautiful as well!

The only caution I might add is in service: I've ordered from Rice and the service was outstanding. P&A's service was not very good, but I understand that the owner Peter White was ill at the time of my order - so things may be back to normal. But, if you can get a P&A silk at your local shop (Denny's?), it won't matter.

Ron
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
SKS is back in living color, I bought a load of stuff from Harold Rice when he was liquidating the business, as well as, a second set of encyclopedia's (signed).
"P" SKS puts out a great product and the new generation won't disappoint.
You can make your own four square blendo, any color's you choose.
Also, Duane Laughlin puts out a good line of silk products.

Blend Away!
Kregg
POOF!
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
742 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
I agree that both P&A as well as Silk King Studios will provide with excellent items. Another option, especially if you want something custom made, is to contact Richard Hughes at http://hughesmagic.com/ I have a 7 bloom flower bouquet, silk streamer, and bouquet for flower bouquet productions that he made. All are top notch.Richard makes an ungimmicked blendo that uses six silks that blend into a larger tie dyed silk composed of the colors just vanished. Good luck!

Jimmy
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Let me suggest another way. Get Duane Laflin's Sensational Silk Magic Video. In it he has a method to where you can make your own Blendo. It only requires a 36" silk and a certain something you can buy at Walmart for pennies. His web site is http://www.laflinmagic.com. I do his method in all of my performances.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I also make can make up a gimmicked blendo as I did a 36" x 45" custom design for Arden James.

The SKS and P&A are good products especially if you want a screen printed silk finish.

As for adding additonal silks, you might be able to add more silks but you want to keep the bulk down. So instead of two 18", you might have to go with three 15" silks.

Hope that helps.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
FlowJuggler,

There is certainly nothing wrong with Silk King or P&A equipment. Class never goes out of style. It is beautiful stuff indeed.

However, in view of the point Richard Hughes made above, the "blendos" I really use came from Ted Sudds. The reason is simple. They will vanish more cargo without a clue. The marketed name of Ted's prop is "What's New". They are 30" squares but not really silk. I like the extra weight for that trick.

My US Flag blendos are the real thing. But for my "Soft Soap" routine I have a lot of (priceless junk) things to vanish (ditch) in the clean up. So I use "What's New". (I also use matching scarves to cover the equipment on stage before the show.) You can show "What's New" surrounded. That is not true of all blendo props.

It's your show!

Good Luck!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
flowJuggler
View Profile
New user
East Coast USA
71 Posts

Profile of flowJuggler
Anyone know where I can find Ted Sudds? Or better yet, anyone want to sell a "Whats New"?
VarietyArtsBlog.com
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello:

I know I've seen the "What's New" advertised somewhere, so I'll keep my eyes open. I believe it's still carried by a small dealer here in the states.

You might be able to get ahold of Ted Sudsbrack via phone. He once lived in Hollywood and/or the Orange County (California) area.

Lastly, I've had a few "What's New" blendos made from SKS 36 inch silks. It wasn't difficut, and the silk works even better than the Rayon-type material of the original. It has a better flow to it.

Anyway, I'll let you know if can find the dealer.

Ron
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7384 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I think "What's New" is being made nowadays by Ickle Pickle. I am pretty sure I saw it in one of their catalogs from a few years ago. However, they don't have a website (they might only sell to magic dealers... I'm not sure).

It might have been something they simply sold at one time, although they do make a lot of items.

It is also detailed in Rice's Encyclopedia of Silk Magic. I made mine from the instructions in one of those volumes. I just can't recall which volume.

- Donald.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
742 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
According to the Encyclopedia of Silk Magic volume 4, "What's New" is the name of the trick when it was first marketed by Ted Sudbrack (SUDS) but the name was changed to the Bumper Bag. It seems interesting, however, a qucik search yielded nothing. Hope you find it. The other option is to give the designs of this bag to a seamstress. That's what I did for a 20" Ginncloth from which I produce a large flower bouquet and a 12 foot streamer. Good luck!

Jimmy
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
FlowJuggler,

While I was away from the computer but at the Invisible Lodge in Fort Smith, Arkansas last week, I saw a new What's New for sale. The contact is Fred Baisch at http://www.twincitiesmagic.com and tell him Bob and Lucy said "Howdy" from Bubba Whodini. I think the one he has is on dragon silks but the real thing. He may have others.

(I think it was only $20.)

Good Luck!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
742 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
FlowJuggler,

Just to let you know that Hank Lee's also has What's New but their price for it is $45. Check it out at this link:
http://hanklee.org/xcart/customer/produc......;page=71

Jimmy
flowJuggler
View Profile
New user
East Coast USA
71 Posts

Profile of flowJuggler
Thank you all for your help. I really apprecaite it!

Paul
VarietyArtsBlog.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Need Information about buying a Blendo...A&P v. Silk King (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL