The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Does it ever help to tell an audience, "Tough Crowd..."??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Brenton Keith
View Profile
New user
Maui, Hawaii
31 Posts

Profile of Brenton Keith
I have been trying to break this habit for awhile now, where I find myself saying, "tough crowd". I keep saying it because sometimes it gets a good reaction when there is no reaction, which of course is what I'm looking for-some reaction. But I am wondering what others think, because my gut tells me it's never good to ever tell an audience that they are tough, and that it only digs me further into a hole. But again- sometimes it gets a good reaction, which is why I keep finding myself using it...

What do you think?

Also, I'm not only talking about comedy, but magic too...
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi:

I think it's a good line; I say if the audience is responding to it, keep it in.

Ron
duckster
View Profile
New user
Texas
76 Posts

Profile of duckster
Sometimes the crowd needs a swift kick in the pants without attacking them. Especially in this day and age, Audiences forget that they have a repsonsibility at a live show, they are not in thier living room, watching TV, breathing thru their mouth.

One line that I have been using that has been getting a great reaction is.

(do the joke and get not much of a reaction)
"NUTHIN. I got Nuthin for that one"
let me try it again, this time with feeling"

(I do it again and more passionately and the crowd will either repeat their first reaction or go thru the roof, but I hope they don't do much because its funnier if I can say...)

"AND I STILL GOT NOTHING - I'm moving on..."
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
I watched Copperfield on DVD the other night and he was doing "Graffiti". After he revealed the first match on the paper, the crowd did not react. With a big smile, he slightly crumbled the paper and turned to the audience and said....

"Does this not impress you people"?

The crowd applauded!

I think what we can learn from this is to create an applause without resrting to the term "Tough Crowd". Sometimes a pose will queue an applause. Sometimes a revaltion will cause applause....
get creative and give them a reason to make some hand noise. Sometimes an audience won't applaud because they don't want to interupt your show. Getting an audience warmed up is the only way to break this barrier. You can do your own warmup, but to be the FEATURE act you need a separate warmup/MC. A warmup would be something that primes them for the real magic. It breaks the ice and makes a crowd not so tough.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I suppose it matters if you look like you're poking fun at the response or if you're really looking desperate. I remember the guy in "Magic" looking out into the dead audience saying; "Don't you people know how hard that was?"
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
513 Posts

Profile of damien666
As performers, we are (hopefully) giving our all to entertain our audiences. But Remember as well, the audience can always give more too. There's nothing wrong with demanding more from your audience - letting them know that you need and enjoy their feedback. I remember going to see George Carlin a few years back and when ever he got a really strong applause break, he would almost break character and say "I appreciate that!". Not on just his regular laugh breaks, but when the audience broke into applause - he let us know that it made him happy. I have listened to many of his recorded performances, and have noticed the exact same thing. If the audience applauds, he tells them he appreciates it - and because he tells the audience that Applause is what he wants and expects, it encourages the audience to do it more.
A live performance is an interactive experience, So if there is no response, by all means - bring attention to it and 'train' the audience to respond the way you want them to. Of course you want to do it in a way that endures them to you - you don't want an audience that is being forced to clap for a guy that they hate...
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
BE careful, if they don't respond to the LINE then you have just doubled your discomfort.

Often, calling it as it is, defuses the awkardness of a failed joke, poor routine or cricket chirping silence. Here's a few lines....

"Thank you for that warm round of indifference"

"And that is what Zen philosphers call "The Sound of No Hands Clapping"

"So that's how it sounds when mime's clap"

If one or two people clap:

"Thanks for the applause but, please, stay with the rest of the group."

"Thanks! I like you! If you come to all my gigs you could run around and make it sound like a standing ovation"

"Take your hands out of your pockets...i'll provide the entertainment."
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Please consider this...have a CD or tape ready to fire WITH CRICKET SOUND FX...it worked for Daffy Duck and Bugs for years...it'll work for you.
Of course if you're a really funny person you'll have to throw in a few duds just to use the gag.

Also remember, Rodney Dangerfield made a living off that line..."boy...you guys are a tough crowd..."
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
This seems to be an overused bit, that did and does work for Rodney.

I have seen some magicians use it in the same place in there act no matter what the reaction was???

I go back to journaling and using books such as

A whack in the side of the head

The Artis Way

to stimulate ideas.

Be safe and creative.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
cpatchett
View Profile
Veteran user
My current prediction is that I have
337 Posts

Profile of cpatchett
It worked for Rodney because of the nature of his act...it could just as easily kill an act depending on when and how it's delivered.

I love the cricket idea!

Craig
Magician: Someone willing to spend $15 to learn how to make $1 disappear.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
I wouldn't use that line for the very reason that Nicholas Johnson brought up: If they don't respond, you and they are even worse off!

Two lines I use with effectiveness; they accomplish the same thing without putting the onus on the audience:

"Yes, when I first saw that I was too amazed to applaud, too."

And, when the applause is scattered and not all at once:
"Please try to applaud together. If you applaud separately, we'll be here all night."

cheers,
Peter Marucci
cpatchett
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of cpatchett
Here's another good alternative:

"Ah, I see you're all too stunned to respond."

And, if you can pull it off with the right zany delivery, you can probably get a good laugh out of this one:

"Come one, everybody...if you're happy and you know it clap your hands!"

Craig
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of jlibby
I occasionally use the line "Tough room!" I'm not sure why. It just seems a little more generic.

And then I don't wait for more discomfort... I move on to the next bit!

See ya!
Joe L.
My new FREE ebook on the classic Mismade Bill trick is ready for you:
https://funnybirthdayshow.com/mismadebill/
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
How about, "I don't require applause. An occasional nod of comprehension will suffice?"

Of course, not if you're trying to make friends.

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
amadrigal
View Profile
New user
Bolingbrook IL
79 Posts

Profile of amadrigal
I tap my imaginary shirt mic and ask "Is this thing on test 1 2 test test"?
that has hit everytime for me or I have used
"Alrighty.... I knew I shouldn't have quit that mime gig"!
If you cannot convince them, confuse them.
Harry S Truman (1884 - 1972)
Flec
View Profile
Special user
UK
585 Posts

Profile of Flec
In awkward silences, here are some of the lines I find funny.

"This is free to you people, so I don't expect you to be impressed yet"

"You get what you pay for at this place"

"im not as good as the guys on tv...thats why I'm here at ****** and they are earning their millions on tv!"

"you're looking like you see this every day of your life?!"

"well it worked when the other table tipped me....but you didn't so I guess we'll work on that"

or sometimes...just sometimes I might be really cheeky and say "you're on a night out, lossen up and enjoy yourself people....i can only do so much!" (with a cheeky smile of course...i don't snap at them)
cpatchett
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of cpatchett
"Tough crowd" WOULD work well in a biker bar.

Craig
Niko
View Profile
Special user
England
599 Posts

Profile of Niko
If you say a joke and no one responds to it, my line is 'uh, wasted on you lot!' (in a joking way, obviously).

-Niko
When you do something right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.
cpatchett
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of cpatchett
Quote:
On 2004-08-31 18:18, Niko wrote:
If you say a joke and no one responds to it, my line is 'uh, wasted on you lot!' (in a joking way, obviously).
That one can backfire. How about, "That joke has a built-in time delay, so when you find yourself laughing later for no apparent reason you'll know why."

Craig
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Quote:
On 2004-08-12 01:05, Xmosis wrote:
Please consider this...have a CD or tape ready to fire WITH CRICKET SOUND FX...it worked for Daffy Duck and Bugs for years...it'll work for you.

UK comedians Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer would do a bit like this on their show, Shooting Stars. Vic would always tell a duff joke all the guests would remain stony-faced, cricket/wind sounds where played and a ball of tumble-weed would roll slowly across the studio floor.
George
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Does it ever help to tell an audience, "Tough Crowd..."??? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL